PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bucs fire Gruden

Status
Not open for further replies.
You people are nuts, yes Gruden has a ring, from a Tony Dungy made team, Gruden has been living off 2002 and has done nothing since then including this year going from 9-3 to 9-7, losing the last 4 and in Week 17 all he had to do was beat the JV Raiders to make the playoffs. A well deserved firing and it's about time.

Lets recap Grudens team since 2002.
2003 - 7-9 3rd place in division
2004 - 5-11 last place in division
2005 - 11-5 lost in 1st round of playoffs
2006 - 4-12 last place in division
2007 - 9-7 lost in 1st round of playoffs
2008 - 9-7 lost last 4 games no playoffs

Grudens failure to draft a future star QB and manage the salary cap has doomed this franchise for years to come. Gruden as a Patriot OC? NO FRIGGIN WAY!

What does Gruden's drafting and salary cap management have to do with a potential offensive coordinator job?

Gruden Fired

Im shocked. i think hes a great coach.

Last edited:
You people are nuts, yes Gruden has a ring, from a Tony Dungy made team, Gruden has been living off 2002 and has done nothing since then including this year going from 9-3 to 9-7, losing the last 4 and in Week 17 all he had to do was beat the JV Raiders to make the playoffs. A well deserved firing and it's about time.

Lets recap Grudens team since 2002.
2003 - 7-9 3rd place in division
2004 - 5-11 last place in division
2005 - 11-5 lost in 1st round of playoffs
2006 - 4-12 last place in division
2007 - 9-7 lost in 1st round of playoffs
2008 - 9-7 lost last 4 games no playoffs

Grudens failure to draft a future star QB and manage the salary cap has doomed this franchise for years to come. Gruden as a Patriot OC? NO FRIGGIN WAY!

I find it funny that when Dungy was canned by the Bucs, the knock against him was that he couldn't get the job done. And everyone pointed to Gruden taking the team and winning it all as proof of how bad Dungy was.

Now, people are being scathing of Gruden and claiming "oh it was Dungy's team," and making it sound like Gruden didn't do anything.

Gruden brought in people as well. And changed things so that it worked. He's a good coach, but a bad personnel guy. As someone else mentioned, Gruden shouldn't be allowed final say.

Wow. I think that is a bad move by the Bucs. They let go a great coach. It looks like the Saints,Falcons and Pathers will be in the fight for the NFC south next season. the bucs will be in last place.

Wow. I think that is a bad move by the Bucs. They let go a great coach. It looks like the Saints,Falcons and Pathers will be in the fight for the NFC south next season. the bucs will be in last place.

The Bucs were in 3rd this year. I think the NFC South will be a very tough division again next year. Don't count the Bucs out just yer. All one has to do is look at Miami and Atlanta to see that a team's future isn't necessarily negative because of a coaching change

What does Gruden's drafting and salary cap management have to do with a potential offensive coordinator job?

Grudens offense is a joke, mickey mouse would be a better candidate.

That is surprising.. If I am not mistaken, the only team that hasn't named a new coach is the Jets... so, its not like Gruden would have a lot of options..

However, there are rumblings that Jerry Jones could part ways with Wade Phillips. And Gruden would be a candidate to take over.

========================================================

Oakland, Rams, Tampa, and Jets have HC vaccancies.

Chiefs and Cowboys might end up with new HC's also.

========================================================

Oakland, Rams, Tampa, and Jets have HC vaccancies.

Chiefs and Cowboys might end up with new HC's also.

Considering that it was Tampa that fired Gruden, they don't count. I had forgotten about Oakland, though its unlikely that Gruden will go back there. And the Rams are being said to have hired Garrett.

That being said, thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Now, people are being scathing of Gruden and claiming "oh it was Dungy's team," and making it sound like Gruden didn't do anything.

It was Dungy's team, always was, nothing new there, Gruden inherited a great Tony Dungy defense, thats fact not fiction, all he had to do was watch them dominate and they did, Gruden could not field an offense for 6 years, thats why he was fired, now if people said Gruden as a DC ''maybe'', but as an OC, thats just moronic.

Jethro will do everything to bring Shanny to the Lone Star state-book it.

It was Dungy's team, always was, nothing new there, Gruden inherited a great Tony Dungy defense, thats fact not fiction, all he had to do was watch them dominate and they did, Gruden could not field an offense for 6 years, thats why he was fired, now if people said Gruden as a DC ''maybe'', but as an OC, thats just moronic.

Yes, if you just ignore his years in Oakland, his lack of a viable quarterback in Tampa, and the fact that he was, in fact, an offensive coordinator in Philly, you could make a case that you're correct.

I don't rate Gruden very highly. He won with Dungy's players and rode Kiffen's defence for the last few years.

Not to mention he lucked out by facing the team he coached the year before (Oakland) in the Superbowl.

If Gruden wants a job, I'd love for us to give him the Capers treatment - QB coach and special assignments. He could help O'Brien, Mangurian or whoever is the new OC (named or not) with the new job. We wouldn't want him as our OC as he can probably get a HC job next year and his offense is different from ours anyway. But he could help coach the QB and work with the new OC on game planning, etc.

Not to mention he lucked out by facing the team he coached the year before (Oakland) in the Superbowl.

Which would mean that Callahan won all those games with Gruden's players. The guy has to get SOME credit for taking the team over the hump, as it was obvious Dungy's passive attitude wasn't cutting it in Tampa.

Was it a bad firing? Not necessarily, there are many factors which make it understandable, but that doesn't mean that this guy was useless to the franchise all along.

Guaranteed there's a thread on Jetsinsiders by dinner.

He's actually a decent coach, imo.

watch it happen man.....Chuckie to the Jests.......jeezus.....Well...he couldn't win (except with Tony's team) in Tampa........and he couldn't win with the Raida's.....

I am not shocked to see him go.....He has done jack sh#$ since the SB win........and he sucked again this year..........Still don't want to see him in NY

hey, Parcells is due to switch teams again, maybe now he'll finally go to Tampa Bay.

Shanahan would be a perfect fit in KC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes