PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bucky Brooks at its best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this is easily one of the worst articles I've ever read.

NFL.com news: For Jets to win, they must stop Patriots' rushing attack

This guys doesn't have a clue of what he is talking about.

Sorry, if the thread is unnecessary
I guess what he's thinking is that if the Patriots are able to run the football, it will open up their passing game that much more. I do agree that if we can get good production from our RBs it's a good bet we can pull off the win.

But I'm with you, it doesn't make sense either. It's like saying the key for us to win is stopping Mark Sanchez and not the running game.

as i posted in another thread, last yr in week 2 we did have running sucess but didnt stick with it.
last week the jets were geared to stop the ravens running game and take chances with their passing game. i think he is assuming it will be reverse this week just like the pats will stop to the jets run game unlike the bengals where they wanted to stop the pass.
so maybe we will have chances to run the ball more in this game than the ravens did.
but his sense of stopping it to win makes no sense.

friday_gif_collection_05.gif

I guess what he's thinking is that if the Patriots are able to run the football, it will open up their passing game that much more. I do agree that if we can get good production from our RBs it's a good bet we can pull off the win.

But I'm with you, it doesn't make sense either. It's like saying the key for us to win is stopping Mark Sanchez and not the running game.

Or, perhaps more bizarrely, Wade Phillips, after the 2007 game against the Cowboys, stating that their defensive philosophy was "Stop the running game and make Tom Brady win it with his arm." :)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/101607dnspocowlishaw.24eb647.html

Last edited:
So he's basically saying that if the Pats run for 149 yard they will probably win.

Wow, you think so? Wish Bucky had included the cumulative record of all NFL teams that run for that many yards from last year, the last five years, the last ten years, etc. Thanks for that insight Mr. Brooks.

In addition the Jets were 7-5 in the regular season last year when they held teams to under 149 yards rushing last year prior to the two final games when opponents rested their starters, so that benchmark doesn't really mean a whole lot. For further proof, look at the 2009 playoffs: the Bengals ran for 171 yards against the Jets and lost; the Colts ran for 70 fewer yards and won.

Any other meaningless stats as a basis for a column? The least Brooks could have done was written about number of penalties and penalty yards as the key to the game; given last week's result it would have been far more relevant.

Last edited:
I'm expecting NE to make a convincing effort to run the ball. :confused2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes