2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who starts: Buchholz or Wake?

• Total voters

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Whether or not a Santana trade goes down, inevitably, the discussion will come up of who should have that last spot in the rotation, Buccholz or Wake.

These spots are clear: 1) Beckett 2) DiceK 3) Schill

The hypothetical fourth spot will be either Santana or Lester, depending upon if the trade goes down.

So that leaves one spot open for Buchholz or Wakefield.

To me, it's a no brainer, you go with Buchholz, he's a potential ace, and move Wake to the pen, he's had some success there. I know it will be tough to take for Wake, but he's a team player and will accept it willingly.

Let's hope Theo makes Tito go with this, b/c Tito is so loyal, it's hard to see him moving Wake from the rotation, at least to start the season.

Last edited:
I'm the lone vote for Wakefield so far. I think Buchholz is still largely unproven as a big league starter. If Wakefield consistenly flounders as a starter, then yes, I could definitely see the change, but I'm not sure if Buchholz is quite ready for prime time just yet.

My guess is that Wake starts the season in the rotation, and one of the young guns sits as a replacement. It's easier to keep the younger guys as a replacement than it is a vet. Also, I'm not sure what kinds of innings limits Buckholz & Lester might be facing this year. If they have an innigs cap, then one of them will benefit from sitting at the start of the year, so they'll be fresh near the end, and also because teams don't really need a 5th starter for the first month of the season.

Wakefield to start the season. This has nothing to do with who I think will be better.

Buchholz will have an innings limit this year around 170-180. He cannot pitch a full season + playoffs as a starter. If everyone is healthy at the beginning of the year I'd expect them to start Buchholz in the bullpen to limit his innings.

Also, Wake won't want to pitch out of the bullpen. Early on the Sox won't have to deal with this. Once the season gets going, IF everyone's healthy the Sox can then choose to kick Wake to the bullpen in preference of Buchholz. It could be easier to get Wake to deal with that if Buchholz has been his teammate for a couple months, gone through ST with the team, etc.

I also feel that Wake will start, because Buchholz is still just starting out in the majors, and because before Wake got hurt last year he had won 17 games. I also feel though that Buchholz takes anyones place if they are injured, and he might take someones spot who isn't doing well.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back