PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bubble Players heading in to final preseason game

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Shalise Manza Young of the Providence Journal interviews Matthew Slater, Titus Adams and Terrence Nunn on their thoughts headed in to the final preseason game and roster cuts day in her column For some Patriots, the final exhibition game represents the final chance
On Saturday afternoon, the Patriots have to release 22 players to get down to the NFL-mandated regular-season roster limit of 53. There may be one or two surprises on that final list, but for the most part they will be young players who simply become a victim of the numbers game at their position, or on a team that in several areas has a great deal of depth.

So Thursday becomes their last chance to show Bill Belichick and his staff everything they've learned thus far and everything they have to offer.

Giants step for fringe Patriots; 12 on bubble tested tonight by Rich Garven of the Worcester Telegram and Gazette

Garven lists twelve players as being on the bubble and fighting for a roster spot tonight: TE Ben Watson. TE Alex Smith, WR Terrence Nunn, T Ryan O'Callahan, T Wesley Britt, G Billy Yates, G/C Dan Connolly, G/C Ryan Wendell, RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, OLB Shawn Crable, ILB Paris Lenon, and WR/S Ray Ventrone.

I like what I have seen from Titus Adams and Terrence Nunn - Both deserve to be on the PS roster next week

Slater is good on ST but does not show much elsewhere .... I think he gets cut

Last edited:
Starry night is unlikely

Starry night is unlikely by Andrew Vogt of the MetroWest Daily News

Vogt says there are three things to watch for tonight: the play of Andrew Walter, the Pats pass defense (specifically Derrick Burgess, Leigh Bodden and Darius Butler), and veterans on the bubble; specifically Alex Smith, but also Eric Alexander, Ryan O'Callaghan and Ray Ventrone.

I like what I have seen from Titus Adams and Terrence Nunn - Both deserve to be on the PS roster next week

Slater is good on ST but does not show much elsewhere .... I think he gets cut

I agree about Adams and Nunn. Neither guy is fighting for a roster spot, but have a good shot at the PS.

Slater is a true bubble player. He has done equal amounts of good and bad in the special teams. I think his inability to contribute on offense or defense won't be a factor if he is cut though. The Pats usually have 2-4 pure special teamers on the roster.

I agree about Adams and Nunn. Neither guy is fighting for a roster spot, but have a good shot at the PS.

Slater is a true bubble player. He has done equal amounts of good and bad in the special teams. I think his inability to contribute on offense or defense won't be a factor if he is cut though. The Pats usually have 2-4 pure special teamers on the roster.

Well Kelly Washington was by far our best ST on the team for the last 2 years but sucked as a WR so BB said Bye - Slater is no better on ST than Washington was even though Slater is a decent returner,there is definately no room at safety for him so it has to be because of STs play for the reason to keep him if they do.

I wonder how many of these players are actually on the "bubble" at this point. I'm willing to bet the evaluation of these players is 98% complete and roster decisions have been made. The only thing left to consider is the injury situation.

Terrence Nunn teeters on the ‘cutting edge’

Terrence Nunn teeters on the ‘cutting edge’ by Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald looks at Nunn and the countdown to roster cuts.
Nunn said the coaches have not discussed specific requirements for making the roster. But while there is always the chance of ending up on the practice squad, Nunn said the final cutdown date has been looming in his mind.

“Yeah, it registers,” he said. “I was thinking about that day for a while.”

Rapoport also gives us his Five things to watch in the Patriots-Giants game

• Backup QB: Andrew Walter or Brian Hoyer?
  • Final RB spot: BJGE or Sammy Morris?
  • Shawn Crable or Paris Lenon?
  • Who's in the receiver mix?
  • Things are tight at tight end

Well Kelly Washington was by far our best ST on the team for the last 2 years but sucked as a WR so BB said Bye - Slater is no better on ST than Washington was even though Slater is a decent returner,there is definately no room at safety for him so it has to be because of STs play for the reason to keep him if they do.

Well, Washington did stick on special teams for two years without making any contribution on offense. So you kinda made the case for Slater while trying to say there is no place for him. I think Washington was cut because his cap number was getting too big for being a pure special teamer, but I could be wrong about that.

Izzo stayed on this team for years without playing any LB. Many other players have done the same.

Washington was told bye because of his money. Slater plays for way less $$.

"From what we're hearing" . . . sounds like he's been reading this board. :rolleyes:

Hahaha yup- the media in general doesn't know much more about what the Pats are planning on than this board does. It's all speculation. Even if a reputable reporter with actual connections reported this, I'd be doubtful, since cutting Maroney would carry a cap penalty of $900k. He would have to be beyond awful to get with that kind of a cap penalty, especially with Taylor and Morris both offering 300k-500k in relief.

Last edited:
I think that the true bubble players are Alexander, Connelly, Green-Ellis,

Hoyer, Lenon, O'Callaghan, Slater, Smith, and Ventrone.

Adams, Britt, Bussey, Ciurciu, Daze-Jones, Love, Ninkovich, Nunn,

Richard, Rogers, C. Taylor, Williams, and Yates are no brainer cuts.

Does anyone here think Pryor is on the bubble? . . I do - I hope they keep him but I am not sure they will

"From what we're hearing" . . . sounds like he's been reading this board. :rolleyes:

Funny, but I thought the same thing when I read it. I'd only heard anything of Kool Aid's imminent departure on this board before Bowen "reported" it. :disagreement:

Does anyone here think Pryor is on the bubble? . . I do - I hope they keep him but I am not sure they will

I think he's shown enough that he'll make it, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him get the axe. No real matter to him though- if we cut him loose there'll be teams lining up to grab him.

Just an FYI, Ray Ventrone was poked in the eye and had his eye scratched in the 3rd quarter last night. He had some blurred vision and the coaches would not let him re-enter the game in the 4th quarter. So thats why he didnt get any work in the 4th quarter. He was very angry about this and wanted to get back into the game very badly. I talked to him and he felt like he played well on specials but really wanted to go out there and catch more passes but could not because of the eye injury. He is on the bubble for sure but he was not only on the 53 man for every game he was healthy last year but he also dressed for all of them.

Just an FYI, Ray Ventrone was poked in the eye and had his eye scratched in the 3rd quarter last night. He had some blurred vision and the coaches would not let him re-enter the game in the 4th quarter. So thats why he didnt get any work in the 4th quarter. He was very angry about this and wanted to get back into the game very badly. I talked to him and he felt like he played well on specials but really wanted to go out there and catch more passes but could not because of the eye injury. He is on the bubble for sure but he was not only on the 53 man for every game he was healthy last year but he also dressed for all of them.
He's still my binky. :singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots