PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bubba Smith passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill B.

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I just read that Bubba Smith passed away. Great player in his day. Pretty funny in the "Police Academy" movies. Cause of death is unknown but does not appear suspicious. RIP, Bubba.

I just read that Bubba Smith passed away. Great player in his day. Pretty funny in the "Police Academy" movies. Cause of death is unknown but does not appear suspicious. RIP, Bubba.

Most current fans probably have no idea who he is; those that do, as you mentioned probably know him only for being some ex-football player that was in some comedy films. But the guy was a great football player; if I recall correctly a number one overall (or close to it) draft pick that actually lived up to his draft status with the Colts in the late 1960's - early 1970's, when the Colts were one of if not the most dominant team in the NFL. I remember he was huge compared to other players of his time, about half foot taller than anybody else on the field.

RIP Bubba.

He was Al Bundy's crosstown nemesis.

A great player and a decent actor in his movies....I have no problem with any accolades Bubba Smith recieved in his career....all well deserved.

Go in peace Bubba.....to a well earned rest.

Only saw highlights and his movies but he certainly entertained me. Not sure if it was the football but he was my favorite on police academy.
Rip Bubba

A MSU all time great. He's one of the main reasons why southern schools started recruiting black players.

Last edited:
RIP Bubba ... One of my early years football heroes.

I was always the smallest when we played tackle football ... everyone was older and bigger. On defense I played on the line and i was always Bubba Smith ... great name ... great player. It didn't matter that I was small - in my mind i was Bubba and it was good.

Bubba Smith was an ernormous player for the time like 6'6" 290 in college a man among boys very good pro who was the #1 pick. I am guessing he was in his late 60's when he passed, sorry to see pass away so young RIP Bubba.

The ND MSU game to decide the national champ finished in a tie it was called the game of the century at the time.

I believe he was 66yrs old. Loved watching him play. RIP Sir.

RIP Hightower

Sad to hear...especially for the several Colts fans in my family. He was a beast. RIP, Bubba.

On another note, does anyone "die" anymore? Must they "pass"? Well, Johnny U passed, I guess. He also died...of a heart attack. I don't know why that phrase irks me, but it does. It's like someone is trying to avoid the stark reality of the situation. OK, rant over.

He was a 2-time pro-bowl player and a dominant lineman in his day, and was definitely one of those players who could consistently get a "WOW" from the crowd. Never any trouble, and greatly admired by his teammates.

Thanks for the memories, Bubba. RIP.

Sad to hear this.

That's a shame. He always used to say SB III was a fix. Considering how well the Jets have done cumulatively since then, maybe he wasn't totally crazy. RIP.

RIP, Bubba.

The rafters of Spartan Stadium will also jingle to the sounds of the student body's chant: "Kill, Bubba, kill."

He was 6' 8" 290 going against much smaller athletes, requiring an almost double team.

There's this story I heard, don't know if it's true, of when he was an MSU student walking down a hallway and another student, a wrestler, was coming to him from the other direction.

Neither would give way, and a scuffle ensued that ended as a draw. And from that moment the wrestler and Bubba had great respect and even friendship for one another.

I loved watching him on Policy Academy, especially when Mahoney was teaching him how to drive...

May he RIP...

I wasn't sure I bought the Purple People Eaters or the Doomsday Defense or whatever they called the Rams, but Smith was great, and scary, and had a long career. One of the few guys from his time that might have a shot at playing today.

I enjoyed watching him. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey