Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bubba Goes Ballistic On Abc

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

I wasn't going to bother, but now I really can't wait to see this.

BUBBA GOES BALLISTIC ON ABC ABOUT ITS DAMNING 9/11 MOVIE

INSISTS NET PULL DRAMA

By IAN BISHOP Post Correspondent

September 7, 2006 -- WASHINGTON - A furious Bill Clinton is warning ABC that its mini-series "The Path to 9/11" grossly misrepresents his pursuit of Osama bin Laden - and he is demanding the network "pull the drama" if changes aren't made.

Clinton pointedly refuted several fictionalized scenes that he claims insinuate he was too distracted by the Monica Lewinsky sex scandal to care about bin Laden and that a top adviser pulled the plug on CIA operatives who were just moments away from bagging the terror master, according to a letter to ABC boss Bob Iger obtained by The Post.

The former president also disputed the portrayal of then-Secretary of State Madeleine Albright as having tipped off Pakistani officials that a strike was coming, giving bin Laden a chance to flee.

"The content of this drama is factually and incontrovertibly inaccurate and ABC has the duty to fully correct all errors or pull the drama entirely," the four-page letter said.

The movie is set to air on Sunday and Monday nights. Monday is the fifth anniversary of the attacks.

Based on the 9/11 commission's report, the miniseries is also being provided to high schools as a teaching aid - although ABC admits key scenes are dramatizations.

The letter, written by Bruce Lindsey, head of the Clinton Foundation, and Douglas Bond, a top lawyer in Clinton's office, accuses the ABC drama of "bias" and a "fictitious rewriting of history that will be misinterpreted by millions of Americans."

Clinton, whose aides first learned from a TV trailer about a week ago that the miniseries would slam his administration, was "surprised" and "incredulous" when told about the film's slant, sources said.

Albright and former National Security Advisor Sandy Berger also dashed off letters to Iger, accusing the network of lying in the miniseries and demanding changes.

ABC spokesman Jonathan Hogan last night defended the miniseries as a "dramatization, not a documentary, drawn from a variety of sources, including the 9/11 commission report, other published materials and personal interviews."

"Many of the people who have expressed opinions about the film have yet to see it in its entirety or in its final broadcast form," he said. "We hope viewers will watch the entire broadcast before forming their own opinion."

Executive producer Marc Platt told The Washington Post that he worked "very hard to be fair. If individuals feel they're wrongly portrayed, that's obviously of concern. We've portrayed the essence of the truth of these events. Our intention was not in any way to be political or present a point of view."

The miniseries' creator and the 9/11 panel's former co-chairman, Tom Kean, who was a paid adviser on the film, said some scenes are made up and plan to include a statement at the show's beginning.

In the movie, FBI anti-terror agent John O'Neill, played by Harvey Keitel, and a composite CIA operative named Kirk grouse about bureaucratic red tape following a meeting with Berger and Albright.

"How do you win a law-and-orderly war?" Kirk asks.

"You don't," O'Neill snaps.

The movie then cuts immediately to a newsreel close-up of Clinton insisting he did "not have sex with that woman" - Monica Lewinsky.

Although the movie thrust Lewinsky into the mix as a White House distraction, the 9/11 commission's report found Clinton was "deeply concerned about bin Laden" and that he received daily reports "on bin Laden's reported location," Clinton's letter notes.

In another scene, CIA operatives working with Afghani anti-al Qaeda fighter Ahmed Shah Massoud, the leader of the Northern Alliance who was assassinated by bin Laden days before 9/11, gather on a hill near bin Laden's residence at Tarnak Farms - the terror thug easily in their grasp.

"It's perfect for us," says Kirk, a composite character played by Donnie Wahlberg. But the team aborts the mission when an actor portraying Berger tells them he can't authorize a strike.

"I don't have that authority," the Berger character says.

"Are there any men in Washington," Massoud asks Kirk later in the film, "or are they all cowards?"

The reps for an outraged Clinton wrote to Iger that "no such episode ever occurred - nor did anything like it."

The 9/11 commission report echoes his denial, and found that Clinton's Cabinet gave "its blessing" for a CIA plan to capture bin Laden and determined that ex-CIA Director George Tenet squashed the plan.

The third contested scene focuses on Albright, who is depicted alerting Pakistani officials in advance of a 1998 U.S. missile strike against bin Laden in Afghanistan - over the objections of the Pentagon. The movie claims the tip-off allowed bin Laden to escape.

But the 9/11 commission reported that it was a member of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff - not Albright - who met with a senior Pakistani Army official prior to the strike to "assure him the missiles were not coming from India."

ian.bishop@nypost.com
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

He squealing like a rat dropped in boiling water. It isnt't a documentary it is a docu DRAMA. However the "wall of Separation" and the unwillingness to take out OBL are quite real. Clinton admitted he passed on OBL in a post presidental speech given on Long Island, beofre the dems politicized the WOT.
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

I have no idea how you could possibly come to any of those conclusions. Incase your Blinders were on when you read the article, it's Clinton's camp that is demanding the Docu-Drama not be shown. How ABC's decision to air this will mean the end of Bush via Clinton is beyond me. If anything, this would strengthen the GOP (though I'm not sure it will) in the elections since it deals with the only issue that is holding the GOP together, and that's terrorism. This mini series is akin to Farenhype 411 being released in '04, and everyone in print calling it a "documentary" when it's own producers admitted it wasn't. At the very least, this movie is based on the 9/11 Commissions report. Take that for what it's worth (it's a govt. commission aka the Warren Commission). Anyway, I will be watching. I watched the UBL piece on the History Channel and it seemed to say much the same as this series. So I'll watch.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  4. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Clinton most popular????

IIRC he got 42% of the vote each time. It takes a great imagination to view him as one of the most popular president ever.

I may tape this series o view later, but will be watching the football game.

As to the reaction of the dems: "me thinks thou doth protest too much". Clearly a nerve has been hit. I recall no such concerns when the Moroe film was released from the dems about accuracy and his film was billed as a documentary.

I love the threats of censorship and retribution from the dems if they get control of congress. :D
  5. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, please explain this to me NEM
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Dude, ABC made the stupid series. :rofl:
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

I don't recall any republicans demanding Moore's movei be corrected or pulled from distribution. If you have any sources please let us know.

Or are youjust talking out of your butt again?
  8. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, You know the democrats..its party first, world opinion second, attack Conservatives third, and the hell with America fourth..That about sums it up
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/index.php?messageDate=2004-05-04

"Yesterday I was told that Disney, the studio that owns Miramax, has officially decided to prohibit our producer, Miramax, from distributing my new film, "Fahrenheit 9/11." The reason? According to today's (May 5) New York Times, it might "endanger" millions of dollars of tax breaks Disney receives from the state of Florida because the film will "anger" the Governor of Florida, Jeb Bush."

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/95/4595.php

By the way, Do you recall Republicans stopping CBS from broadcasting the biopic on Reagan?
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

HAHAHAHAHA!!! You privided Michael Moore's heresay as proof! HAHAHAHA!

Oh, that is hilarious. :rofl:

Yes I do. They totally did try to stop it, which was dumb. The two are celarly different though. Reagan suffered from Alzhghimers and had just died, and his death was no 9/11. The show was viewed as being insensitive. Still though, dumb to create a stir over it. But what else do you expect from bum politicians?
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

If you went to the link, you would see that it's linked to the New York Times. I'm sure I can find more evidence, but do you really think it's necessary. Don't you remember the uproar by conservatives over Michael Moore's film?

And a fictional account of 9/11 is also insensitive, especially to those people who suffered most, the people of New York City, who by and large supported Clinton. To present a fictional account that in effect blames people like them is the height of insensitivity. They should either do a documentary or do a fictional account that avoids the politics and looks at how hard many many individuals worked in intelligence to try to prevent something like 9/11. Most of our CIA, NSA, and FBI people do not bring politics to the job. They may not succeed in everything they do, but their story is one worth telling, and it would be a unifying and a good story.
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

A docudrama is not the same as a fictionalized account. But you understand that.

Your reaction indicated that this show has hit a nerve. The truth hurts Patters deal with it.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Patters, it was his own words saying that a little birdie told him.

Yes, I do remember the uproar. Some of it was clearly political, but Mr. Moore was providing clear lies. He spliced 16 Truman speech's into his own with the clear intent on duping the audience.

OK, this series is based on the 911 Commission report. To call this all lies is incorrect. People obviously need to be bright and draw their own conclusions, however, to totally discredit the series is soooooo partisan it's ridiculous. Furthermore, comparing an ABC series based on a Commission finding to Michael Moore's film is propotrous. Does that mean ABC isn't capable of disorting facts? Of course not, but Michael Moore uses ZERO facts.

Anyhow, all the *****ing by the Clinton people now has made this a must see for me.
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Gee the Scholatic group that whose revenues depend of the good will of NEA members (an arm of the democrat party) is bullied into not distributing this video.

Why am I not suporsed that the leftist would coerce and bully others to prevent a distribution of information they are ashamed of .

What a joke.

;)
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  15. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

No, I don't.
    A docudrama is fiction. I don't care if its this movie or any docudrama that has played since the creation of the term. I read history books all the time. Sometimes an author will go one step further then another author. For example, David McCullough's 1776, discusses General Washington in conservative terms while Bruce Chadwick's George Washington's War takes a more liberal view , all within his research. Contrast that to anything that is shown on movie of the week or a "docudrama" which deviates from the truth and you have fiction. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't read books but rather the National Enquirer and take these shows as some type of proof of an event. In addition, schedule that show on the anniversary of one of the most tragic events in our history and you have a classless act. Oh, in addition to the show, there are some type of classroom series texts which accompany this waste of time. Perfect.
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Well now perhaps some on the left here will see why I was mad concerning the 9/11 Michael Moore movie. A drama is a drama...anyone who thinks a drama is a documentary simply does not understand film.

Michael Moore's film was drama as it did not allow for equal viewpoints.

To see a real documentary watch "When the Levee's Broke" on HBO by Spike Lee.(If only he wasn't a Knick fan).

Anyways....a drama is free to air as it pleases...unfortunately, the major networks are guided by a shadow of the U.N. and they don't truly air what they wish all the time...perhaps this is why Michael Moore stayed away from them??? Hmmmm?
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

A docudrama is a dramaticized version of real events it shouldbe true to the events but weave in fictional elements to tell the story.

We haven't seen this show but the 2 things that Clinton and his gofers are whining and *****in about are true, that is the Wlaa of separation of J Gorelick which prevented the connecting of the dots and Clinton and Berger refusing to pull the trigger when they could have captured/killed OBl. They didn't even mention Clinton not taking OBL when the Sudanese offered to turn him over to us, we let him walk.

Given your biases I can understand your discomfort with these facts being taught to children or broadcast for adults to see.
  18. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

My bias? Have you ever not defended GB? I stand by my thread. If you "weave fictional elements" through the story, how does someone not as "astute" as yourself tell which is fiction and which is the truth. Must have to read the texts which accompany the "docudrama". I'm sure that reading will be at the top of my list. I'll let my previous thread stand up to whatever you'd like to post.
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

When it comes to immigration and domestic spending excesses you haven't heard me defend Bush or the repuglican congress.

OTOH I haven''t heard you acknowledge any of our successes in the WOT of ever dispute anything the dems propose..
  20. Porco Rosso

Porco Rosso Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You do realize that this article you posted demonstrates pretty clearly that the movie is lying about what really happened, right?