Welcome to PatsFans.com

BU Group Offers Scholarship For Whites Only

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

This is funny.

BU College Republicans mock race preferences

By Marie Szaniszlo
    Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - Updated: 05:32 AM EST

Drawing attention to what they call ?the worst form of bigotry confronting America today? Boston University?s College Republicans are offering a ?Caucasian Achievement and Recognition Scholarship? as a mocking assault on racial preferences.

Applicants must submit two essays: one describing their ancestry and another describing ?what it means to you to be a Caucasian-American today.?

The $250 scholarship also requires applicants to be at least 25 percent Caucasian.

BUCR President Joe Mroszczyk, a senior from Danvers, said the last requirement and the essays are based on prerequisites for the National Hispanic Recognition Scholarship.

?We think it?s silly to quantify race like that, just as it?s silly to give any scholarship based on race,? said Mroszczyk, a political science and history major. ?We don?t think racial preferences are good or have a place on a college campus.?

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=168514

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Heard Severin on this yesterday and I agree with him that this was valid and well-done political theater, like Rengel's call for the draft. I think Severin's an a-hole tool for the Admin. but he was right on with this one.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

Did BU Grad School in the early 80's, found it to be a bastion of liberalism, guess things have changed quite a bit. Agree with the political theatre thing.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Whereas I understand affirmative action & such, and don't have a problem with it in alot of aspects, there are some forms of reverse racism that exist out there. I've never understood blacks only this, or women only that, while the only criticism is given to a whites only anything. I'm not a supporter of whites only stuff, but I do think it has a clear right to exist. The double standard, political incorrectness, or hypocracy of this bothers me.