PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

bspn has lost 4 million subscribers in the last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
So can Americans tell me, is BSPN in all TV providers basic package or do some TV providers not have it in the basic package?

If memory serves me correct, each sub is approx. 6$ per month. Rounding off that is in the neighborhood of 300 million in a year. Now 300 million is not a huge percent of ESPN's total value, however, for GP it is signficant. But even worse for BSPN is the 300 million is the low hanging GP fruit. This is their 'just fork over the 300 million no matter what the quality of our content is or what the nielsens are for our programming'. In other words BSPN's odds of making up this GP is extremely unlikely. They will either have to bring in A LOT more 18-45 demo viewers to increase ad revenue and/or introduce new products/revenue streams that will have to be wildly successful. IMHO the odds of that are tiny. Online and an upward blip in the demo numbers will not come remotely close to replacing that lost 300m GP.

There are several reasons why this has happened to BSPN. But in this instance the method isn't important here, it is the outcome that is. BSPN deserves it and the good news is the trend is very likely to continue toward them getting additional just desserts.

Yeah f*ck ESPN. But upon reflection, for. I'm starting to get a little worried about how this cord cutter trend will affect us, the Joe Average NFL Fan, 2-5-7 yrs down the road.

Am I missing something, but how else does this all end, except with some type of NFL PPV, or Pay to Stream network? That is, we all pay upfront to watch anything, on a Game by Game basis? We all might hate ESPN but, at least we currently don't have to shell out $20 to watch a game like fans in Canada for the Vancouver Canucks. ESPN made that business mistake, we should actually take advantage of it while it lasts, and laugh at them the whole time of course.

If the NFL has to go to PPV, that means that they have sustained massive revenue losses. Not necessarily a bad thing for a corporation that is completely saturating the market.

Excellent! Cool as other side of a pillow!
RIP Stew

In the last 5 years I've only watched Patriots games and even then on the local channel.

Next up NFLN. I used to watch it constantly. Since the AFCCG vs the Colts I've watched it only after the SB to see the Pats players getting interviewed and to record the Do your job and Americas Game episode. Until it hurts them in the pocket they won't get it. Yes it's a drop in the bucket but imagine if the entire region dropped the network, boycotted all the goods and merchandise........It's the only thing the 32 understand.

Yeah f*ck ESPN. But upon reflection, for. I'm starting to get a little worried about how this cord cutter trend will affect us, the Joe Average NFL Fan, 2-5-7 yrs down the road.

Am I missing something, but how else does this all end, except with some type of NFL PPV, or Pay to Stream network? That is, we all pay upfront to watch anything, on a Game by Game basis? We all might hate ESPN but, at least we currently don't have to shell out $20 to watch a game like fans in Canada for the Vancouver Canucks. ESPN made that business mistake, we should actually take advantage of it while it lasts, and laugh at them the whole time of course.
Maybe, maybe not.

In terms of actual NFL games, BSPN only represents one game per week (two in week one). That is less than 7% of the regular season schedule. How CBS, Fox and NBC are faring would be a better indicator.

BSPN vastly overpaid for their NFL broadcast rights in comparison to the other networks. Way back in the early days of the network they felt they needed live programming of major pro sports to grow and be taken seriously, and apparently that mindset remained. The thought was that the extra cost could be passed along and that neither the cable companies nor the consumers would put their foot down; they never had in the past.

Their contract runs through 2021, but at this rate I would not be surprised if they attempt to get out of it before then. Should that happen it will be interesting to see if the NFL is willing to help out their 'business partner'. After that I would think the league will be able to find a non-traditional company such as Amazon or Yahoo to fill in the void.

Current broadcast right fees per year:
MNF/BSPN: $1,900,000,000
NFC/FOX: $1,100,000,000
AFC/CBS: $1,000,000,000
SNF/NBC: $950,000,000

ESPN Pays Four Times the Going Rate to Air NFL Games

ESPN Extends Deal With N.F.L. for $15.2 Billion - The New York Times

That's what happens when you quit being journalists and elect yourself Goodell's propaganda mouth. NFL network is more critical of Goodell than ESPN.

Excellent! Cool as other side of a pillow!
RIP Stew
Speaking of him... would it be selfish of me to say I'm glad he wasn't around for all the nonsense? I would have hated to start hating him by association with that cesspool.

Speaking of him... would it be selfish of me to say I'm glad he wasn't around for all the nonsense? I would have hated to start hating him by association with that cesspool.

I know what you mean and as for BSPN*, anyone ASSociated with them has no creditablility. I haven't watched, tuned in, listened to them ever since TB Witch Hunt was put into full gear.

I know what you mean and as for BSPN*, anyone ASSociated with them has no creditablility. I haven't watched, tuned in, listened to them ever since TB Witch Hunt was put into full gear.
I'm four up you. I stopped watching ESPN in early 2012. My life improved drastically.

Everyone is cutting the cord of cable n as ESPN has the largest slice of the cable fee pie, it's 1st to go.
Remember the real word is mirrored by the Godfather
"It's not personal, it's strictly business "
We have Xfinity. Does anybody know how to get it blocked?

I would but I do like those 30 For 30s and MNF.

I refuse to watch MLB. Jessica Mendoza is brutal.
I think you can still get 30 for 30 somewhere else, or maybe on demand. Those are usually good, with the glaring exception of the one on pioneer female sports reporters, which somehow swapped out Gayle Granik (Gardner) with Lisa Olson

Ditka has never been mistaken for a friend of the Patriots.
Mike did once make the correct evaluation that Doug Flutie was really good and a winner; somehow forgetting that the team he was coaching was full of assholes and losers who would ostracize Doug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes