PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BSMW's "Who Ordered The Jets Sideline Wall?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a crock that Graham column is.
Yeah, I thought Graham's falling over himself to congratulate the Jets for the way they handled it was way over the top. Frankly, a rather embarrassing comment for somebody to say who is allegedly a neutral, unbiased reporter.

The fact that every one of them was still right on the line, that not one of them took even half a step backwards with the Dolphin's gunner racing up the sideline makes me think that this most likely was a planned tactic by the Jets. Of course unless somebody talks we will never know who organized that sideline wall. But it goes against basic human instinct to stay in the path of a player in pads running full speed right towards you. One guy I can see, but every one of them not moving, staying as close as they are allowed to?

Great point. Note that they all keep their hands in their pockets and their feet planted, despite having a player in pads running full speed within inches of them. Usually the sideline bodies dart out of the way whenever the action gets close. These guys barely move their heads, which tells me they must have been prepared for any contact/interaction. :enranged:

The precedent is now set. Teams can now do the following:

1) Hire a guy off the street as a "coach".
2) Pay him $30K.
3) Put him on the sidelines during a big game.
4) Remind him how extremely disappointed you would be if anything happened to the opposing gunner on a punt. Really disappointed.
5) Block the gunner out of bounds.
6) "Coach" mauls the gunner, allowing your team to get a big return.
7) The league lets you punish the guy.
8) Fine the "coach" $25K and let him go.
9) Make a statement about how extremely disappointed you are in his behavior. Really disappointed.
10) Everybody happy

+1 to this!!!

Rex speaks

Attachments

• jets4.jpg
    jets4.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 186
Jets never would have pulled this if Parcells was still in the front office in MIA.

I'm not defending the Jets but the Miami player needs to exercise more caution or commonsense being near the opposing team's sideline.

I thought, why is he running so far out-of-bounds? Why didn't the New York assistant move back to avoid contact with the player?

When you see all of those assistants or players lined up as they were. It appeared on TV as being premeditated.

For me, anytime somebody can't give you a straight answer to why they behaved a certain way or don't know why themselves. They're guilty of wrongdoing. You don't know why you did what you'd done because you weren't expecting to get caught.

If he'd acted alone, he should be fired as opposed to suspended and fined. On the other hand, if he was put up to it, a formal investigation by the league toward the Jets must be taken.

The fish rots from the head, to coin a phrase.

LadyTom, the gift that keeps on giving... didn't Tomlinson quote this a few years ago? Or was it someone else? Meh they all run together....

Last edited:
If the fish rots from the head this will still never be solved...Wrecks will EAT the rotting fish head and destroy all evidence

I think we all know how this falls down, in all seriousness.

The sidelinewallgate won't be a "gate," just like the other "gates" that never happened. The media won't jump on it. It won't matter.

What happened to the Pats in 07 was overblown to gargantuan proportions because of what the Pats had become - and still are - in the NFL: the single best team over the course of years.

We all know this. And prior to 07, if the JEST pulled this, we'd snicker, point a finger, and move on. And that's just what everybody will do, and just what everybody should have done in 07.

Sucks to be the Pats, because the lynch mob formed in 07 and never went away. The guys go undefeated the entirety of 07 until the Super Bowl, and the lesson most of the league takes from it is "18-1" as a taunt. Idjits were saying after that game that the Pats naturally lost because "they couldn't cheat anymore."

Er um, how come they won all them other games, by margins of 20 and 30 points?

So now the Pat are emerging in a very "parity" year as the team to beat once again. After years and years under the microscope, I think sanity's returning to a point. The convenient "reason" the Pats kicked everyone's ass is gone. Now what?

But there's no such "reason" to deride the JEST. They're not a monolithic, world-beating superpower. They're a team that proclaimed themselves on the rise, and got buy-in from the national sports media (AKA the local NY media with the widest distribution.)

They haven't won anything, and certainly not repeatedly - so there's nothing to explain away. True to form, they can't even make any noise in their own division.

So who cares if they're forming sideline walls and tripping guys?

What's pissing us off is the unequal treatment.

It's a compliment, guys.

I personally want to see another ring or three in the next few years (let's start with one, and not get ahead of ourselves.) The fading sense of "ohhhhhh they tape games, that explains everything!" will be erased at that point.

But getting "justice" in people's ideas of the Pats is never going to be primary to me after 07. The attitudes permanently established the sports media and the marching morons that follow them to be useless in my mind, particularly when it comes to assigning moral judgments.

They'll "tsk tsk" and move on in this case, and that's exactly what they should do. Nobody's confidence in the game will be shaken, nobody will shake their heads sadly and talk about how everything is now tainted. Nobody will act like Rex Ryan cancelled Christmas and pissed on an American flag, and nobody will write letters to the editor about what their 10-year-old is supposed to learn from this. South Park probably won't do an episode about it.

That's actually appropriate - and would have been 3 years ago.

I think we all know how this falls down, in all seriousness....That's actually appropriate - and would have been 3 years ago.

There's a lot of quality in your post. Thanks for taking the time to lay it out for us.

Thanks. In the other Thighgate thread I posted a link via the Wayback Machine to the site some fans here put together on that "other" 'gate. Don't want to repeat it across threads and beat the dead horse, but what can one say as a Pats fan... other than, ahhhhhh that brings up old memories!

Last edited:
I just decided I hate Steve Tasker after this quote:

"No question, you're not supposed to trip someone, but I think this is an overreaction," he (Tasker) said in a phone interview. "This isn't stealing signs or illegal taping or somebody sabotaging something. It was just a guy, reacting."

Ex-Miami Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas: New York Jets put up wall on trip play - ESPN New York

A little background on Steve Tasker:

He's the LAST "bench player" in CBS Sports' football announcer lineup.

He does the Cleveland vs. Oakland or Tennessee vs. Buffalo game each week which no one cares about.

He's been stuck in that rut for over 12 years.

He looks up at Nantz and Simms doing the Pats every week and sees terrible injustice for his life.

Of course, he's going to have a chip on his shoulder about anything to do with the Patriots.

A little background on Steve Tasker:

He's the LAST "bench player" in CBS Sports' football announcer lineup.

He does the Cleveland vs. Oakland or Tennessee vs. Buffalo game each week which no one cares about.

He's been stuck in that rut for over 12 years.

He looks up at Nantz and Simms doing the Pats every week and sees terrible injustice for his life.

Of course, he's going to have a chip on his shoulder about anything to do with the Patriots.

He's also a former Bill that hates seeing his team look up at the Pats every year.

He's also a former Bill that hates seeing his team look up at the Pats every year.

Just we hate the Jets more than the Bills. The Bills hate the Dolphins more than any other divisional rival.

Anyone with a brain can see the pattern on the sideline.

It IS, or as least is WAS coached. Hard on the line foot to foot spread 5 wide.

This blatenly obvious pic should be on 'Come on Man"...doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out...I am glad they got exposed. This is about the only punishment that would stick on this organization, so I am at least glad they got that.

Publicly humiliated...

Can you imagine the uproar if the "Cheatriots" had pulled this crap? The Empire State Programming Network (ESPN) would have Sal P. and the rest of his meathead friends on the field re-enacting this.

Arlene Spektor would call in the Federal Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back