PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BSMW Reader Media Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

slam

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
On Boston Sports Media Watch they're doing their annual BSMW awards voting for the local sports media. Web sites are a category, so you can vote for patsfans.com, along with newspaper, tv, and radio awards.

Some impressions:

1) Sean McAdam should be listed in a baseball category, not in a general category. He is the best Red Sox reporter out there. That goes for on television/radio as well.

2) This was set up for Ron Borges to get grilled. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the top driving force behind this whole thing. Same goes for Dan Shaughnessy. These guys deserve what they get, mostly Borges.

3) Calling "Cold Hard Football Facts" a "local" website is a reach. It is run locally, but the genre is national, not Boston sports. They have been very sympathetic to local teams, of course, but their "intent" is a national scope.

4) Hazel Mae is top studio host????? Geez. I had a terrific article ready to go on female broadcasters a while back and didn't post it. If she is a favorite, then I guess the tastes in the fan base have really changed. She's just plain terrible. I wish NESN would bring back Jayme Parker. There are so many female broadcasters out there who do a lot better than she does. A knowledgeable fan base like ours should not embrace a studio host who is on there clearly for reasons that are more related to Lisa Guerrero. This was a shocker IMHO.

5) Gosh, tough choice on best Patriot writer. I chose Curran, but Reiss was also a good choice. Wish I could have voted for both.

6) The two biggest slamdunks were Santos as best play-by-play and Remy as best analyst.

Bob G

bobgeorge said:
3) Calling "Cold Hard Football Facts" a "local" website is a reach. It is run locally, but the genre is national, not Boston sports. They have been very sympathetic to local teams, of course, but their "intent" is a national scope.
Agree! Same with Football Outsiders (GREAT site, not 'local' at all) and ProFootballTalk.

And come on people!!
[font=ARIAL,HELVETICA][size=-1]Pats Fans (www.patsfans.com) & Miguel’s Salary Cap Page (www.patscap.com) (12)[/size][/font]
pixel.spark
[font=ARIAL,HELVETICA][size=-1]-- 5%[/size][/font]

bobgeorge said:
Some impressions:

1) Sean McAdam should be listed in a baseball category, not in a general category. He is the best Red Sox reporter out there. That goes for on television/radio as well.

2) This was set up for Ron Borges to get grilled. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the top driving force behind this whole thing. Same goes for Dan Shaughnessy. These guys deserve what they get, mostly Borges.

4) Hazel Mae is top studio host????? Geez. I had a terrific article ready to go on female broadcasters a while back and didn't post it. If she is a favorite, then I guess the tastes in the fan base have really changed. She's just plain terrible. I wish NESN would bring back Jayme Parker. There are so many female broadcasters out there who do a lot better than she does. A knowledgeable fan base like ours should not embrace a studio host who is on there clearly for reasons that are more related to Lisa Guerrero. This was a shocker IMHO.

5) Gosh, tough choice on best Patriot writer. I chose Curran, but Reiss was also a good choice. Wish I could have voted for both.

6) The two biggest slamdunks were Santos as best play-by-play and Remy as best analyst.

Bob G

Disagree on Hazel- she good and she's hot.

Disagree on a set up for Borges- How was it a set up??? His name just appeared with others.

PATSNUTme said:
Disagree on Hazel- she good and she's hot.

You're half right. She is good looking. But in her line of work, we need good broadcasting. Her work at the 2004 Victory Parade/Rolling Rally (that live spot at Cambridge and New Chardon) was simply lousy. At that premiere for "Fever Pitch" at Fenway, all she did that was good was outdo Michelle Damon in the evening gown department. Her delivery is at times all wrong for what it is she is doing (she should, for example, lose the occasional southern accent when trying to make a point or trying to be humorous). The commercials she did for her weekly Red Sox show last year were poorly done. I will grant that she's not like Michelle Damon in that she has NO on-camera vocal talent, but she does come off like someone who is there for looks only and not for sportscasting acumen.

There's all sorts of women broadcasters out there who could do better in this role. Jayme Parker was fine while she was the host, there was no reason to remove her. Wendi Nix did well on FSNE, I haven't seen her on Channel 7. NESN used to have Kara Henderson, who is now with the NFL Network, and she was fantastic. NESN also had Sam Marchiano on occasion on Red Sox broadcasts, I think she's great.

ESPNNews has lots of female anchors. None of them could be categorized as "similar to Hazel Mae". They are all good broadcasters who do a nice job. A woman has the right to make herself as beautiful as she can in pursing this sort of career, but for me I care more about how well she speaks versus how good she looks.

Another good example to look at is Monday Night Football. Over the years, Lesley Visser, Michele Tafoya, Sam Ryan and Melissa Stark have performed well. Stark was criticized by some as "replacing Visser only because she's a pretty blonde", but Stark knew her stuff and IMHO did a terrific job (and that goes for the Olympics as well). But Lisa Guerrero was abominable, and she was there for only one reason.

It's not enough just to be beautiful. At some point good broadcasting skills have to come in to play.

Bob G

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye