PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BSMW Article: Loosing Top 2 WR is no Death Wish

Status
Not open for further replies.
maxhagen said:
Sorry if this was posted before but I believe is a great read about loosing our top 2 WRs.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/gameday/

Thanks maxhagen.

This is a great read for anyone who is interested in how much individual players have to do with overall team performance and success.

It should be a must read for any folks who feel chunks of sky falling on their heads. This might serve as a 'sky chunk protection' umbrella.

Indirectly, it should give some insight as to why Belichick and Pioli seem to be fairly willing to move on if they can't resign a player even though that player seems to fans to be such a key part of the team. As if past parting of ways hasn't proven them right about that.

One fascinating thing that this doesn't do is relate what a team that lost 2 WR did next year when correlating that to the capability of the QB. If it's almost a wash in general, as this analysis tends to point to, if we have a great QB that we are sure makes receivers performance better, maybe, as the article says - "No Death Wish".

Who knows. Each case is certainly different.

You just refilled my Kool-Aid. This article is great and actully puts statistics and evidence to our faith in BB.

I like the point, I like the historic examples...

I just wish the writing was a little better. I had to read some of the sentences twice just to get the point.

why do all of these nitwits think that the SB is won in September ?

its getting old with all of the Pats bashing...

Another point of historical reference.Check out the WR receiving stats for the 1983 LA Raiders, 1986 and 1990 NY Giants. All 3 of those SB winners had:

Kick Ass D
Soldi TE production
Decent QB Play
Solid Kicking games
Good running games
WRs that caught less than 40 balls.

Point being, If you are solid in many other areas, you don't need WRs that catch 80 balls to win SBs. Look at the Pats in 03. Their running game sucked, but we were awesome in all of the other areas.

XLI here we come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing