PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BSM,Bruce Allen :Jets have 2004 sox feel to them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what does "hesistate" mean?

Those Red Sox weren't entitled, arrogant guys who thought they had earned the right to talk after an 86 year title drought. They were merely confident, and believed in each other. It's completely different. I don't remember that team being nationally disliked the way the Jets are now.

Couldn't be much further than the truth.

The '04 Red Sox were "idiots" in the sense they had fun and had good chemistry. They were also, by most accounts, the better of the two teams in that Yankees series.

This Jets team really has no counterpart in professional sports. They are classless, obnoxious, and not that talented. "Idiots" in this contexts means sexual harassment, DUIs, sex scandals, inappropriate comments, obnoxious boasting, tripping players on the sidelines, and underachieving.

The jets dont have jesus. No need to be concerned.

The '04 Red Sox were "idiots" in the sense they had fun and had good chemistry. They were also, by most accounts, the better of the two teams in that Yankees series.

This Jets team really has no counterpart in professional sports. They are classless, obnoxious, and not that talented. "Idiots" in this contexts means sexual harassment, DUIs, sex scandals, inappropriate comments, obnoxious boasting, tripping players on the sidelines, and underachieving.

I'd have to disagree on some of that. The Jets, despite some key injuries, are actually a pretty talented group, with playmakers on both sides of the ball.

This weekend's matchup is the most unpredictable of the 4 games. CW says the Pats will win & likely win handily, but there are so many wrenches thrown into this one. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Jets build a lead early and change the whole dynamic.

Almost everything depends on the play of Sanchez, who actually can throw it pretty well every 4-5 games...

Exactly. This column is an insult to those '04 Red Sox.

I'd have to disagree on some of that. The Jets, despite some key injuries, are actually a pretty talented group, with playmakers on both sides of the ball.
It's hard to argue with this, the Jets are obviously a talented team (with a better QB, they'd be a very talented team). But that's about the only apt comparison between them and the '04 Sox. The Sox didn't dish out trash talk, the Sox didn't call anyone a----les, Terry Francona never ran his mouth off about Joe Torre. And on top of all that, comparing a sport where the winner is decided by a best-of-7 game series versus a sport where the winner is decided in the blink of an eye doesn't compute.

This weekend's matchup is the most unpredictable of the 4 games. CW says the Pats will win & likely win handily, but there are so many wrenches thrown into this one. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Jets build a lead early and change the whole dynamic.

Almost everything depends on the play of Sanchez, who actually can throw it pretty well every 4-5 games...

A little bit different here. First of all, you look at the most important positions. You might equate a starting pitching staff with a quarterback, as those are the most crucial factors in both sports. The Red Sox had an incredible staff with Pedro Martinez and Curt Schilling, two Hall of Famers. The Jets have statistically one of the worst QBs in the NFL. The Red Sox had an offense that PRODUCED at elite levels (wasn't just considered elite) with a ton of stars led by Ortiz and Ramirez. The Jets have an average offense, despite what you think they should have. On defense, the Jets have some good players, but overall I would not consider this team overly talented; the '04 Red Sox were an insanely talented team in comparison to the rest of the league.

The Red Sox won 98 games. That's like winning 13-14 in football in terms of a team's dominance over a sport.

Last edited:
The 2004 Red Sox were self-proclaimed 'idiots' who won it all. The Jets, with all their talking, are proclaimed idiots by pretty much everybody but the Jets themselves.

Given the individual nature of baseball, 'idiots' tend not to do as well in football as the sport requires talent, focus, teamwork and preparation. The only common thread between the 2004 Sox and this year's Jets is a long string of failures. However, the Jets are only on year 31 of their 86 year drought, so they still have a little more of a wait in front of them.

I get what you are saying, but the bolded part is just not true. Apart from the fact, that everyone can beat everyone in the playoffs and predicting is nothing more than guessing, but I would argue that the Packers - Falcons and Steelers - Ravens games are much more unpredictable.

The Jets remind me a lot more of the 1990s New York Knicks who never shut up about how every year was their year, they were going to beat Michael Jordan and the Bulls, and how they were championship favorites. They were an obnoxious, unlikeable group that thought they were better than they were. All their talking never got them past Jordan's Bulls and it never won them a title when he wasn't around.

I am more concerned with the comparison to the 2005 Steelers than the 04 Sox

I hope the Pats are not the 2005 Colts :eek:

The only common thread between the 2004 Sox and this year's Jets is a long string of failures. However, the Jets are only on year 31 of their 86 year drought, so they still have a little more of a wait in front of them.

Actually, the Jets are on year 42 of their drought. Half way there !!! :singing:

I am more concerned with the comparison to the 2005 Steelers than the 04 Sox

I hope the Pats are not the 2005 Colts :eek:

yeah i thought about that too :( even the 2008 ravens when they beat the # 1 seed titans who were coming off a bye ...and rex was the Dcoord.

Last edited:
He's right. The Jets are just like the 2004 Sox.

Remember when Pedro, after losing the first game of the season, boasted about how they were going to go 161-1?

Or when the Sox, after an offseason filled with gloating and guaranteeing championships, failed to even come close to winning the division title?

Or how about the time the Sox lost to the Yankees 45-3 on Monday Night Baseball?

Who can forget when Terry Francona & his wife were exposed as foot fetish weirdos.

And then there was the time Manny Ramirez called Derek Jeter an "A-hole" and said "F him" and whined about him taunting the Sox in the dugout.

Yes, the similarities are eery.

They smell like six year old sox? Sounds about right.

Sunday can't come soon enough...Can they pleeeeze just play this game before we all become amateur Freuds.........

He is so far off base it's laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back