Welcome to PatsFans.com

BSG Finale

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by JoeSixPat, Mar 20, 2009.

1. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

...gets a standing ovation as far as I'm concerned.

Very very well done.

Can anyone embellish on "what" Starbuck was? Reincarnated by the Cylons somehow? And then what happened when she just "disappeared"?

I understand the metaphors to a degree, but what actually supposedly happened?
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  2. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

It's impossible to say what happened because R Moore is SO incoherent in his plot and character development (sic) that most anything imaginable and ludicrous could be the answer.

The 1st 2 seasons were brilliantly conceived with good characterizations, mysteries and suspense. Only when it became readily apparent that the writers simply hadn't a clue where they were going did the series become incohate. RDM's technique was to present a weekly episode full of "Whoa! Wouldn't THIS be way cool!" scenes at the expense of episodic story telling.

Once I learned to shut down all aspects of critical thinking, I enjoyed the last half season and even the rabbit outa the hat ending. Glad they chose to end it that way.

(Written to avoid SPOILERS for the DVR crowd)
  3. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

She died on the first Earth. That Kara was pure energy guiding them to the end of the line. Apollo sort of knew that but, didn't want to acknowledge it. Until she was gone. The ending was pretty much what I expected. I heard Moore say the show was about the people so that's how I expected it to play out. I didn't know they would find our Earth but, when the first Earth didn't pan out I surmised they didn't show much of it and they still might find what we call Earth. The only thing is I wanted them to show up in ancient Rome. Along with their technology. Which would have made them seem like gods to the ancient Romans and tied in with our history. I guess Moore just can never go where people may want him to. Some great shots though. Classic style cylons punching toasters. Hilarious. Anyone notice when Bill said to Saul (in the strip club) you wouldn't do it Saul said god dam right I would not gods dam right? I thought it was odd when Saul said to the chief if anyone had done that to Ellen I would have done the same thing. Since he killed Ellen himself. But, great frakkin series. I think I'll buy the DVDs and watch the whole thing again.
  4. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

Damn! Where were all those strip club scenes during the prior seasons?
    Ol coot Colonel Tigh sure seemed to be enjoying himself. Ellen seemed to be geting hot and ready. Scratch that, Ellen is ALWAYS hot and ready.

Things I learned from BSG...

1. Important problems and decisions are best solved while consuming mass quantities of hard liquor

2. Important relationship decisions are best addressed by first beating the sh!t outa each other

3. Some Angels are like wicked hot!

4. Always use a phone with a cord. Wireless is bad for you.

5. Don't ever make fun of toasters

6. Technology free, weaponless Colonials and Cylons are fast enough to outrun lions
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I think they had dreams of getting promoted to NBC early on and when it became obvious that that wasn't gonna happen they pretty much stopped caring. Either that or they got a little too interested in politics. The show started sucking frequently right around when they colonized New Caprica. I guess that whole story arc was their way of protesting Iraq.

btw, after that miserable experience, why the heck would they just go and colonize a new planet? and just how many Earths are there? The first Earth, the Cylon one that was a wasteland, had continents that sure looked suspiciously like North and South America and this second one that they all ended up on had much of the entire world depicted on a map they used to point out where everyone was going, not just the unmistakable African continent that they descended over. And another thing, assuming that the Cavil led Cylons would be able to unlock reproduction by studying Hera, just who the hell were they gonna sleep with? All the girl Cylons, except the one, Boomer, 8 model were with the humans. Besides that how could Cavil be able to suck certain memories out of the final five's heads and implant new ones without knowing what the memories are, like say how resurrection works? If he just pulled random memories out of their heads wouldn't it be likely that they'd forget something crucial, like how to go to the bathroom? Also keep in mind that not one but two hybrids prophesied Starbuck bringing humanity to its doom, not its rebirth. Am I to assume that they were just lying?

The list of gaping holes in this 'plot' of theirs goes on and on. I have to wonder if the general theme in the writing room towards the end wasn't something like 'let's see if the chumps will buy this...'
  6. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Actually it seems more like you just stopped paying attention.
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

'Your' forum wouldn't be such a wasteland of near zero participation if you could just learn to leave your baggage at the door there Mickey.
  8. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

:itsok:

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

Why ancient rome and not as a precursor to the Egyptians?

I'd have thought that would have pleased fans of the original BSG.

Speaking of which, at one point the finale music played homage to the original soundtrack... nice touch.

I guess your theory on Starbuck is as good as any - its precisely because they leave some interpretation to the fans that it was a good finale anyways.

I do recall the Cylons telling Kara that she would be a "harbinger of death" - I guess she was... her own death.

Still, I'm not sure the solid spirit theory works for me but I've got nothing better to offer.

I don't recall actual scenes of North and South America in the "real" earth - in fact in hindsight it seems to me that they never gave one a real good look.

Not sure what we're to make of the transcendency of Jimi Hendrix either... is Watchtower a song handed down in our genes and only Jimi on heavy doses of Orange Sunshine was able to tap into it to bring it into pop culture?
  10. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Did the Egyptians have a god named Apollo?

I don't either.
  11. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Seems pretty clear to me,

You can find this image at the Battlestar Wiki site under Crossroads II.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  12. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

You are correct - but of course that was a teaser following the culmination of that episode - and all a producer would have to say is that they were in fact showing the "new" earth - which is where Kara - who had returned, ultimately was supposed to lead them (if I'm thinking of the right episode) and eventually did.

When talking about the "original" earth in the later episode - I don't believe they showed any identifiable land masses.

So they're probably covered.
  13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Maybe, but don't forget Starbuck's Viper had some sort of signal lock on her other Viper. That being the one she died in;) She found her own corpse after all, unless she was lying. So God would have had to have zapped her corpse over to Cylon Earth right after she blew up while simultaneously bringing a new her and ship into existence over Earth 2 and then sending her back with adjusted memories of the way to Cylon Earth and somehow setting her ship to lock onto her other ship. I know God works in mysterious ways, but c'mon now:D

I have run across a couple of things that have cheered me up a bit over this initially annoying ending. Col. Tigh only having one eye, like how a toaster only has one eye. Perfectly subtle. I can't believe that didn't occur to me. Moore/Eick said they left clues to the identity of the 5 before revealing them.

Then, of course, there's Lee's strange idea about giving up tech and the Toasters. Just when they figured out how to work with the Cylons they send them away:confused: Of course if the new Earth had some sort of Constitution that recognized Toasters as full citizens then the cycle would be broken and they did promise that this would all happen again. Now Earth is primed to go through this all over again. Which IMO makes Lee a bigger villain than even Baltar. So if you look at Lee's choice as what causes the cycle to continue, rather than what broke it, it fits better.
  14. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Here's a video I made during season 2. I made it mainly because I wanted to do an iMovie project. I think it's interesting to look back at these clips from the first 2 seasons. I had it on YT and took down after a while. I tried reuploading it but, they are using song recognition technology and removed the audio track. I actually got the song because iTunes was offering it as a free download so I can't imagine they would be upset someone is using it for a video. Any way I uploaded it on another site.