PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bryant Gumbel interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/archives/blitz/2007/11/a_conversation.php

A good example of one current athlete who has been judged and misjudged by the media is Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss. Gumbel profiled Moss in his rookie season with Minnesota and again when he joined the Raiders two years ago. Between mooning fans in Green Bay and publicly stating that he used marijuana, Moss became an easy target for critics.

In a recent “Real Sports” commentary, Gumbel said of Moss, “He’s happy. He’s productive. He’s professional and despite reports of his premature burial, he’s suddenly seen as a good guy.

“The Randy turnaround says a lot about the man. But the public’s view of him says even more about the perspective of fans and media people alike. In a world where every and anybody wants to have a say, and pretend they’re an image-maker, it’s a reminder of a plain and simple football truth that applies to both players and coaches. That if you lose, fans and media types can’t help you…and if you win, they can’t hurt you.”

Speaking of issues, Gumbel’s views on the celebrated Spygate scandal and the Patriots supposed running up the score are pointed. He states, “I compare Spygate to Watergate. With Watergate, a lot of people said, ‘Oh well, every president probably did it. Nixon was the one who got caught.’ Belichick got caught and this will stay with him forever.

“Belichick is not friendly to the media. If he were more approachable, he might be given a pass. I’m surprised that Roger Goodell stopped investigating. It is not consistent with what he has been doing with other rules violations. As for running up the score, I am not sure if there is any truth to that or if it even matters. I do have concern that in retaliation, someone might beat the crap out of Tom Brady on the field.”

And while not relevant to this interview, he is an awful play by play guy...Thank God I'll be at the Giants game and won't have to listen.

Any team that targets Brady better remember that there are 44 other players on the roster who will seek revenge. We have a Defense too. It seems that some of these people have forgotten that. :rolleyes:

Belichick is not friendly to the media. If he were more approachable, he might be given a pass. ”

So there it is, it is all BB's fault for not being open and approachable to the media. Ask Tom Brady and Randall Gay how being open and honest with the media is working out for them.

.....and apparently, it is not the nature of your transgression but your relationship with the media that counts. So when Saint Dungy is the face of your franchise, it doesn't matter that your GM is manipulating the rules behind the scenes.

Hey members of the media! This next "Eff U!" TD is for you.

Last edited:
And while not relevant to this interview, he is an awful play by play guy...Thank God I'll be at the Giants game and won't have to listen.

Watch out for section d........:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots