PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi's Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, that one kind of stunned me. People do say dumb things but I never thought that a teammate would say that directly to Tedy. I don't think I really want to know which one it was.
hell He was only making 2 mil a year, I bet it was Samuel...I pre-ordered this book awhile ago as well...

PD.

...how much things were bothering me, from not being able to participate to the “I thought you were just trying to get paid” comment from a teammate.

I didn't really understand this comment. Did the teammate mean he thought Tedy was holding out for more money and using the stroke as an excuse? Because if that's the case whoever said it might have done so in the context of, "Geez Tedy you look so good it doesn't seem like you could have possibly had a stroke. I thought you were just trying to get paid."

If that's the context I think it was said as a joke. Although I do see why it could have irritated Tedy. Otherwise I don't get it. People don't fake strokes to get more money.

Does anyone remember when we started hearing rumors that Tedy might play? Because if he told BB before the start of the season, they managed to keep it quiet a long time. As I recall, Tedy's first game was against Buffalo and that was a Sunday night in Nov. right?

Last edited:
I didn't really understand this comment. Did the teammate mean he thought he was holding out for and blaming the stroke? Because if that's the case whoever said it might have done so in the contaxt of, "Geez Tedy you look so good it doesn't seem like you could have possibly had a stroke. I thought you were just trying to get paid."

If that's the context I think it was siad as a joke. Although I do see why it could have irritated Tedy. Otherwise I don't get it. People don't fake strokes to get more money.
I assume the other player meant the reason he was showing up at Gillette and working out was to get paid as opposed to retiring and foregoing his salary.

Does anyone remember when we started hearing rumors that Tedy might play? Because if he told BB before the start of the season, they managed to keep it quiet a long time because Tedy's first game was against Buffalo and that was in Nov. right?
I think we just followed the logical path - when he didn't retire eyebrows were raised - then when he was PUPed (and not IRed) eyebrows were raised - then when he started practicing, well . . .

Actually, IIRC, there were reports (I forget the source) that, if Bruschi had chosen (or was forced) to hang up his cleats, Kraft was willing to tear up Bruschi's old contract and hire him as a PR person (or somesuch) immediately.

Yup, your right, I googled this.......

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8994211

"This is how much Bruschi loves the game of football: He could have retired, taken an executive job with the Patriots working on marketing and promotions and sales, had a long-term contract, and made close to $1 million a year. "

Once again, Bob Kraft "Doing the Right Thing", it makes the statement look even dumber.

Thanks BBfan, that makes sense. I guess that's why you are an "All Pro" :)
I remember being convinced that Tedy wouldn't play that season and so I think I blocked on the PUP v. IR debate.

The Bruschi book is pre ordered, cannot wait to read it, after it will be enshrined permanently right next to the autographed #54 helmet.

I received an advance copy from the publisher yesterday and read it cover to cover last night. :)

Probably no-one of consequence . . . this line is the part that raised my eyebrow :

"so she could see how much things were bothering me, from not being able to participate to the “I thought you were just trying to get paid” comment from a teammate."

Sounds like something our own Danny Boy (r) would write.

I assume the other player meant the reason he was showing up at Gillette and working out was to get paid as opposed to retiring and foregoing his salary.

Ah, that makes sense. Not that the guy thought Bruschi was "faking," just that it seemed so improbable that anyone could make it back onto the field so quickly after a stroke that he figured the PUP designation (vs. non-football injury/illness) was for salary purposes.

Guess what the Nut will be getting for his B-day or Xmas!:rocker:

"so she could see how much things were bothering me, from not being able to participate to the “I thought you were just trying to get paid” comment from a teammate."

I would guess the person who made that comment isn't here anymore...either that or it's the guy with the "get paid" tattoo....well i guess technically he's not here either

I received an advance copy from the publisher yesterday and read it cover to cover last night. :)

Lovely stuff, Mrs B.! Good for you.

I hope that you'll be doing your TC reports again this year. (Somehow, podcasts don't seem to work too well with my stubborn old computer.)

Pretty please! :)

Lovely stuff, Mrs B.! Good for you.

I hope that you'll be doing your TC reports again this year. (Somehow, podcasts don't seem to work too well with my stubborn old computer.)

Pretty please! :)

Not to mention that Karen knows a lot more, (from her years of experience),
than the majority of media scrubs!

I 2nd the request!!! Pretty, Pretty Please!!!!:p

I posted a reply here but then moved it to a thread of its own...

Thanks for the sentiments, guys :)

Last edited:
Ah, that makes sense. Not that the guy thought Bruschi was "faking," just that it seemed so improbable that anyone could make it back onto the field so quickly after a stroke that he figured the PUP designation (vs. non-football injury/illness) was for salary purposes.

Which nobody would have blamed him for, if true.

It certainly seemed that if Bruschi couldn't perform on his underpriced contract, he'd be carried on it anyway out of regard for the hometown discount he'd given in the first place. (The evidence for that wasn't overwhelming, but it was the way I was betting.)

At least, that's what I expected the Pats to do if they felt they couldn't get away with "overpaying" him on the merits for a front-office job as an alternative. I do question whether Bruschi as a first-year exec would really have made twice Dante's money ...

Stupid comment when you think back to Robert Edwards, the Krafts paid him for two years, when it was quite obvious that he was at the very least a year away from returning.

If Tedy never played another down again, I'm positive that Bob Kraft would have paid him every cent of his contract, and then hired him on after that in some capacity. Look at the exchange between Kraft and Tedy, the first thing Kraft thinks about is what Tedy's wife thinks about him coming back. (On a side note, it makes me feel a little better about my own manhood, being as even Tedy has to check with the Mrs.).

Still I would love to know, maybe he tells us in the book, who said that!

First off, yep, stupid comment. Secondly, my bet is also Samuel, but that's just because of recent history. Hell, coulda been Seymour, saying the same thing with a smile. Or Branch.

Thirdly, LONG LIVE ROBERT EDWARDS, the CFL's leading scorer of TDs last year, and 3rd leading rusher. Allons Alouettes!!!!! Sorry I have to get my R. Edwards info in every chance I get.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye