PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi's Calf still not healed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I must have missed this reading the paper this morning, but according to the Herald, Bruschi tried to play but couldn't

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=120386

FOXBORO - Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi sat out last night’s 28-3 win over the Jaguars, apparently still hampered by a calf injury.

Bruschi tested his injured left calf around 6:15 under the watchful eye of trainer Jim Whalen and strength coach Mike Woicik. He ran a series of cuts before shaking his head and leaving the field with a slight limp.

Last edited:
Let's all just hope he can go next weekend. No matter who we play, we need Tedy.

OntarioPatsFan said:
Let's all just hope he can go next weekend. No matter who we play, we need Tedy.
We need him, although we have improved a lot around him too since midseason. Hopefully another week will be enough.

According to BB's statement last night "Tedy was dressed and could have played if we needed him". That 'quote' is from memeory so the words may not be exact but what he said is accurate.

PATSNUTme said:
According to BB's statement last night "Tedy was dressed and could have played if we needed him". That 'quote' is from memeory so the words may not be exact but what he said is accurate.

Well, I'm sure BB would never stretch the truth when it comes to player injuries.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
I think it was something along the lines of "ppppphhtt. 'Course he could have... he was dressed wasn't he?" (just reeking of media disdain) :D

JoeSixPat said:
Well, I'm sure BB would never stretch the truth when it comes to player injuries.

Yeah, I have a tough time believing anything BB mentions during press conferences are true.

I don't think he's 100% but why dress him if he couldn't play. IMO BB thought he could win the game without him in there. I think if on the first couple series the D was getting smoked you would have seen Bruschi come in.

JoeSixPat said:

:rolleyes:

You mean he's not giving the media all the information that they ask for. I find that hard to believe.:cool:

Willie55 said:
I don't think he's 100% but why dress him if he couldn't play. IMO BB thought he could win the game without him in there. I think if on the first couple series the D was getting smoked you would have seen Bruschi come in.

Well, again, the Herald reports that he was dressed, hoping to play, tried to run and cut... and came up limping

I'm not surprised he didn't hit the showers and get a head start on the Rt. 1 traffic - he's a team player and might have wanted to stay just to support his team and provide a psychological ploy against the other team, even if he knew he wasn't playing

Now that being said - its one and done time. Would Bruschi had given it a go if the season depended on it and he was the team's best option? You bet.

But apparently he was far from the team's best option and/or they just didn't need him last night.

JoeSixPat said:
Well, again, the Herald reports that he was dressed, hoping to play, tried to run and cut... and came up limping

I'm not surprised he didn't hit the showers and get a head start on the Rt. 1 traffic - he's a team player and might have wanted to stay just to support his team and provide a psychological ploy against the other team, even if he knew he wasn't playing

Now that being said - its one and done time. Would Bruschi had given it a go if the season depended on it and he was the team's best option? You bet.

But apparently he was far from the team's best option and/or they just didn't need him last night.

One of the local news stations showed him doing the pre-game test of his calf at 6:15. He was in sweats and a sweat shirt. He wasn't dressed for the game yet. If they knew he wasn't going to play why not save that roster spot for one of the inactives.

And I didn't say he would leave. I pretty well sure he would have stayed on the sidelines in civilian clothes.

Willie55 said:
One of the local news stations showed him doing the pre-game test of his calf at 6:15. He was in sweats and a sweat shirt. He wasn't dressed for the game yet. If they knew he wasn't going to play why not save that roster spot for one of the inactives.

And I didn't say he would leave. I pretty well sure he would have stayed on the sidelines in civilian clothes.

Guess I just assumed he was dressed at the time that he came up limping.

But I think the key information in this report is what appears to be a Herald eye witness report that he came up limping - not whether or why he was dressed.

JoeSixPat said:
Herald eye witness report that he came up limping
Slight limp is a little less worriesome than "came up limping" especially as Bruschi has a funny walk anyway - but maybe I'm just an optimist.

JoeSixPat said:
Guess I just assumed he was dressed at the time that he came up limping.

But I think the key information in this report is what appears to be a Herald eye witness report that he came up limping - not whether or why he was dressed.

People are notoriously erroneous about Tedy's "limp". He has a certain strut that's his unique gait.... When he came over to the banner after the game he told Zip "don't worry, I'm fine!"

Willie55 said:

I agree, plus BB would not waste a precious active roster spot (Bruschi) for a player whose only use was for sideline duty for window dressing only. Evidently Bethel Johnson (who would have played) was a healthy inactive.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:

Talk about disrespecting the Jags in that case.

BelichickFan said:
Slight limp is a little less worriesome than "came up limping" especially as Bruschi has a funny walk anyway - but maybe I'm just an optimist.

...slight limp... shaking his head no... didn't play last night

"...but aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Yeah, you're an optimist

Of course, had this been a t-shirt game, things might have been different for Tedy

JoeSixPat said:

One of the pleasant surprises last night ... was that the front 7 did not need Bru. Who would have thought?

And they still played within goalpost inches of a shutout!

Remember too, it's one of Bellichick's specialties to screw with injury reports. I think it's really consistent with his style to dress Bruschi despite him not being able to play just to make everybody think too hard (plus I'm sure Tedi wanted to be there - just like Rodney, oh yeah).

As much as it kills me to say it, I think Bruschi really is still injured to a degree where playing wasn't a good idea. Really hopefully he'll be good for next game, whereever it is.

You know, there are shades of gray in between "being able to play" and "not being able to play". For example, Bruschi's leg might limit him to about 50% so you don't really want to play him. But, consider a hypothetical where Beisel, Brown, and Vrabel all go out with injury in the first half. Then, a Bruschi at 50% might be better than playing Hank Poteat at LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes