Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=204

August 29th, 2006
Bruschi makes appearance
Posted by John Tomase at 7:48 pm

Injured linebacker Tedy Bruschi made his first public appearance since breaking his right wrist at the start of training camp. Bruschi attended the team’s Kickoff Gala tonight and signed autographs for about an hour, his line dwarfing everyone else’s. Each fan wanted to know about his wrist, to which Bruschi gave the stock answer of, “It’s coming along. It’s coming along.” He politely declined an interview request from a trio of reporters as he prepared to sit down for dinner, saying he’d talk next week.

Bruschi wore a removable cast on his right hand. Fortunately for him (and to correct an earlier story in the Herald), he’s left-handed, which made signing autographs a lot easier.

Last edited:
I figure he'll be back by week 3 but I could argue that a removable cast could actually be a bad thing if he isn't able to wear a permanent one to play football. Then again the next step after a plaster one usually is a removable one. Who knows?

PatsRI said:
I figure he'll be back by week 3 but I could argue that a removable cast could actually be a bad thing if he isn't able to wear a permanent one to play football. Then again the next step after a plaster one usually is a removable one. Who knows?
That's a heck of a lot of speculation there.

In Reiss' bit about this Tedy said he would talk to the media next week. Would thinking that this means he could possibly announce he'll play in the opener be reading too much into that? Otherwise why would he say he'll talk next week.

Admittedly I speak with no specific knowledge of Bruschi's particular kind of injury, but I would imagine Bruschi would have been wearing a removable cast from the beginning.

Actual plaster hardcasts aren't nearly as common now as they once were. Most things can be treated with removable casts, and this is almost always advantageous, especially in situations involving surgery, as the recovery process can be better monitored to make sure everything's going ok -- to say nothing of the fact that patients find removeable casts much more comfortable and convenient.

Pat_Nasty said:
Admittedly I speak with no specific knowledge of Bruschi's particular kind of injury, but I would imagine Bruschi would have been wearing a removable cast from the beginning.

Actual plaster hardcasts aren't nearly as common now as they once were. Most things can be treated with removable casts, and this is almost always advantageous, especially in situations involving surgery, as the recovery process can be better monitored to make sure everything's going ok -- to say nothing of the fact that patients find removeable casts much more comfortable and convenient.

I'm no doctor, but I broke my scaphoid in my left hand 15 years ago. The plaster cast was on for 6 weeks, but it took me another 6-8 months to actually put full pressure on my left hand (ie. no pushups). To this day I still experience numbness in my left thumb, and on occasion have nagging pain in my wrist. I've always wondered if it healed properly in the first place - which could lend credence to your theory that a removable cast could help the healing process. Just a thought.

The fact that Bruschi is left-handed, and broke the bone in his right hand has got to be a plus.

Murphys95 said:
I'm no doctor, but I broke my scaphoid in my left hand 15 years ago. The plaster cast was on for 6 weeks, but it took me another 6-8 months to actually put full pressure on my left hand (ie. no pushups). To this day I still experience numbness in my left thumb, and on occasion have nagging pain in my wrist. I've always wondered if it healed properly in the first place - which could lend credence to your theory that a removable cast could help the healing process. Just a thought.

The fact that Bruschi is left-handed, and broke the bone in his right hand has got to be a plus.

Did you have a screw surgically put into your wrist? In some cases where the fracture is non-displaced, they do not, they just put a fully immobilizing cast on. A cautious doctor (or one not bound by HMO restrictions) will often recommend surgical screw implantation even in non-displaced fracture, as this ensures good healing and can avoid prolonged casting.

No. No screw, no surgery, just a plaster cast. My thumb and wrist were completely immobilized. Sounds to me that much more is done now with an injury like this than back in 1991. Then again, maybe it was just my doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back