PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi to play in week 1...I don't like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry I ever posted this. I realize now, that if this is true, doctor's never make mistakes.

jaychamp said:
I'm sorry I ever posted this. I realize now, that if this is true, doctor's never make mistakes.
Of course doctors can be wrong - but it's nutty to think that someone who's examined him and is trained to know what the injury can withstand would know less than you or me.

BelichickFan said:
Of course doctors can be wrong - but it's nutty to think that someone who's examined him and is trained to know what the injury can withstand would know less than you or me.
And you don;t think if it was that seriious he would be getting many opinions and not just one???? One doctor may be wrong..but a few TOTALLY missing it...I think would be far from true. Yes...all will be fine with Tedy...

Last edited:
Pats726 said:
And you don;t think if it was that seriious he would be getting many opinions and not just one???? One doctor may be wrong..but a few TOTALLY missing it...I think would be far from true. Yes...all will be fine with Tedy...
You're asking the wrong person, if he's allowed on the field I'm 100% fine with it. I was just acknowledging that doctors can, indeed, be wrong. Tedy is too important to the team long term this year to risk a season ender for 2-3 games so they must be VERY confident this will be fine . . . and, therefore, I am too.

NEM said:
Dr.NEM will take care of this matter. Take two aspirins, call me in the morning, and pay your bill promptly.
Screw the aspirin, this entire board needs a handful of midol.

I speculated that he had a scaphoid fracture way back on on this thread, and was excoriated for it:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=143591&postcount=12

When I had a scaphoid fracture, the doctor told me that the problem with scaphoids is that the blood supply to the bone is small and tenuous. This is the source of the wide variability in recovery times. Bad blood flow makes for long recovery times. A blood vessel is much more likely to be sheared in a displaced fracture. So the key thing to know in assessing how bad Tedys injury was is to know whether it was displaced or not.

I'm guessing that it wasn't a displaced fracture, as it took a while to diagnose (non-displaced scaphoids are difficult to diagnose from regular xrays - usually you need a bone scan or MRI, because the bone is 3D). Hopefully the screw was put in only to insure that the fracture didn't become displaced.

Here's to Tedy being back (cast or no cast) on Game 1.

R

Same thing here Dude. I suffered a displaced Scaphoid fracture racing dirtbikes 14 years ago. When 3 Ortho surgeons appeared on a Sunday evening to argue over who got to perform the "classic Scaphoid fracture surgery", I knew I was in trouble!

Bottomline is the Scaphoid is one of the worst bones you can break because of it's tenuous blood supply. The blood supply must be recreated for the bone to heal and if the bone doesn't heal, the wrist must be fused. I can't see a Doctor allowing the wrist to be used as a "Club" under such circumstances.

After my surgery which required drilling the bone and inserting pins from the back of the wrist through the thumb, the Docs told me it would require 4-6 weeks in a cast. The cast actually came off at the 17 week mark.

Hopefully medical advances have shortened the healing process. I was stunned to see that T.O. played in the Superbowl and that Big Ben is already playing football after such bad injuries. Just don't be surprised if it takes longer than the original optimistic reports.

I had the same injury, although not broken, and it takes a while until you can even do a push-up.

But not matter what anyone speculates, Belichick will hold back Bruschi until the time is right. We have enough depth with Seau and others to play a few games without Bruschi.

Unlike a lot of us fans, Belichick will make sure that Bruschi doesn't rush back, unless it is okay, because Belichick is not stupid enough to risk a star player over returning a couple weeks too soon.

So CHILL, people! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back