PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi to Ochocinco: 'Join the system, buddy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few points:

1) This is just Bruschi being Bruschi. He was a passionate player, a passionate teammate, and he's a passionate analyst. He's allowed his opinion, agreed or not.

2) Anyone who thinks a tweet is in any way indicative of anything has no idea what tweeting is. It's an afterthought. It's like texting. For someone who tweets a lot and gets used to it, I bet half the time it's a reflex, just something they do for 10 seconds and forget about it. To think this means Ocho isn't studying the playbook or working hard or this somehow makes him a "fan" is lunacy.

3) Let's take a look at the other options Tom has:

Welker - Best slot receiver in the game. 4 years in the system.
Branch - Several years in the system, still talented.
Gronk - Best all around TE on the team, always going to be on the field.
Hernandez - Might be the best mismatch option on the team. No one can seem to cover him.

It's not like Ocho is being beat out by less talented players who happen to grasp the system. He's being beat out by people who have had more time with Brady, more time learning the ropes, AND are very talented players. That said, he becomes the FIFTH receiving option on this team, assuming you don't count any running backs (which we clearly use as receivers too).

So the guy, in his first week, only gets 18 snaps because most of the time you're only playing 2 WR on the field, gets two targets (maybe 3?), catches one and gets mauled with no call on another, and he's already a "fan" or too in awe, or needs to get his nose in the playbook. Meanwhile, the people that beat him out got 500+ yards.

Let's calm down Tedy. Your passion is admirable but this guy wasn't brought here to be THE GUY. He's here for depth and options, and he's gonna need more than a few weeks to beat out guys who have had Brady's trust for years now.

Players that know each other, ride each other sometimes. Tedy is a "Patriots Way" cheerleader and he's razzing Ocho to stop watching the parade and get in it. I have no problem with it. if Ocho does, he can take it up with Tedy, or better, take it as a competitor and make him eat his words, which is what I'd like.

Since when is motivation through media part of the "Patriot way"? Teddy is not part of the team anymore. This isn't some elaborate plan by Belichick to motivate him. THis is about Teddy creating Buzz for ESPN. Its frankly sad to see.

If the Patriots don't want Chad tweeting they have Welker, Branch, Light, and Brady to tell him. And if they had, you know he would have stopped it already or he wouldn't still be here. They don't need Teddy to do it and I am sure they aren't appreciating it.

I don't have a football background but I find it hard to believe that a player who was targeted weekly by the opposition but still was able to put up top level stats should have this much difficulty producing in our system.

Is the system so difficult that only under the radar receivers (all the smurfs over the past decade) and one freakishly talented player (Moss) were able to grasp it? Heck, Caldwell, Doug Gabriel, and Donte Stallworth were all able to make some level of progress in this system - quite early in their stints as Patriots.

I refuse to believe that a player as dedicated and passionate about football can be so unable to muster any production. It never seems to add up.

By the way, I wish Tedy would have gotten into the ear of a guy like Adalius Thomas. It might even be better if Tedy sat down with Chad and said these words to him privately…but going off like this in a column to air his opinion seems a little too personal and even unprofessional.

I don't know about Chad but Moss is bright. He might not act like it but if you really listen to him talk, he's a bright individual. He might not be as polished as someone with his intelligence might have if their concentration was academics but I think he's above average in intelligence. It didn't take Brady or BB to say he was smart. I think his biggest downfall is that he gets bored if he isn't constantly challenged.

2) Anyone who thinks a tweet is in any way indicative of anything has no idea what tweeting is. It's an afterthought. It's like texting. For someone who tweets a lot and gets used to it, I bet half the time it's a reflex, just something they do for 10 seconds and forget about it. To think this means Ocho isn't studying the playbook or working hard or this somehow makes him a "fan" is lunacy.

The act of tweeting itself wasn't what got Tedy going. It was the fact that he was tweeting about just waking up at 6 at night.

I think most people in the thread misread that about Tedy's reaction.

Actually, how often does a player or former player talk about another player's "business?"

Evidently you don't watch the clown show on NFL Network nightly......football gossip with an occasional play discussed.

Since babbling through tweeter?

So you think Belichick has Twitter account now?

He doesn't but guess what, many of the current players have twitter accounts now. Most of their tweets have nothing to do with football either.

Ocho's tweet was the equivalent of small talk.

Last edited:
Evidently you don't watch the clown show on NFL Network nightly......football gossip with an occasional play discussed.

Nope, rather watch Golden Girls re-runs.

I think part of what makes Tedy seem ridiculous isn't just what he said, but the tone of voice he said it in.

Evidently Teddy is putting on his make up, big read nose and oversized shoes.

Good job creating an unnecessary swirl of negativity, Bru. Not very Belichick-like.

It was just such a pointless (and pointless) rant.

Today, after the Bruschi-Ocho Twitter affair, cameras, microphones, and reporters will be surrounding Chad waiting for his words of wisdom about his innermost feelings and the snowballing effect that Bruschi has started. His teammates will be standing to the side, watching the nonsense and wondering why this guy has put himself in this position. His coaches will be worrying that his head won't be totally into the game plan.
YOU DON"T PROVIDE AMMO for your critiques or your enemies. Don't talk about injuries. Leave your personal life at home. Ocho has invited this into the lockerroom, harmless as his words may seem.

Today, after the Bruschi-Ocho Twitter affair, cameras, microphones, and reporters will be surrounding Chad waiting for his words of wisdom about his innermost feelings and the snowballing effect that Bruschi has started. His teammates will be standing to the side, watching the nonsense and wondering why this guy has put himself in this position. His coaches will be worrying that his head won't be totally into the game plan.
YOU DON"T PROVIDE AMMO for your critiques or your enemies. Don't talk about injuries. Leave your personal life at home. Ocho has invited this into the lockerroom, harmless as his words may seem.

Give me a f'n break. Chad didn't do anything. Bruschi created this all by himself. Just because Tedy was a great Patriot doesn't excuse him ranting like an idiot.

You will notice the Secretary of State crafted a very careful response when asked about Tedy's comments that didn't toss either combatant under the bus. Although after reiterating how hard Chad HAS worked, he went into one of his typical sililoquies about how as good as it may have looked it clearly wasn't as good as it SHOULD be because they left plays on the field and have things to clean up. He also said he was just doing his job, and that's to do what it takes whether that is record yardage and multiple TD's or just enough to eek out a W...

"Chad’s a – from the day that he’s got here he’s worked really hard to be a part of this offense and be involved so I don’t know when he said that or what he said, but I know that we’re counting on him to be a huge contributor, and he expects that too. He expects to be out there making plays. When im out there in the huddle with him he’s very excited about being out there and making catches and doing the right thing and being in the right spot. He’s definitely done that over the course of training camp, so anyone that’s been at training camp knows that he’s been a part of what we’re trying to do since the day we got him so I’m excited for him, I’m excited for our offense.

"We need to clean some things up and when we do I think we can be very efficient out there. There were some things the other night that I definitely thought we could have done a better job of and I don’t mean that in an egotistical way, that’s just a fact. We definitely made big plays, which contributed to getting the ball in the end zone, but…we had three three-and-outs, that’s something that as an offense you never want a three-and-out and we had three of them, so those are things that we’re going to need to find ways to improve on. And it’s early in the year and I’m glad when we make mistakes that we can still win the game and we’ve got to continue to do that."

"Well, I didn’t realize until late in fourth quarter. Look, that’s part of our job, you know? Some days you don’t have opportunity to throw for that many yards – some days you throw for 200 yards and it’s a great day and some days you throw for 100 yards and the reason is, you’re trying to take what the defense is giving you. And there’s going to be days when we run the ball great, there’s other days where it’s more of a ball-possession game and there’s other nights where you have an opportunity that the matchups you get and the coverages you get and the way that the players are playing around me – really it’s my job to do that. I gotta make the throw to the open guys, I gotta be able to see the field, that’s part of my job. So whether I throw for 200 yards or 20 yards, as long as we’re winning, especially at this point – I’ve been on teams that won 18 straight games or 21 straight games, I’ve won Super Bowls – yardage and touchdowns, none of that really means anything to me anymore. Really it’s about winning the game and moving on to the next week and making improvements so that the margin or error may be smaller. That’s what we have to be prepared to do."

Brady on Ochocinco, offensive efficiency and Connolly - Extra Points - Boston.com

His teammates will be standing by his side and laughing their ***** off at how the media, fans and Bruschi are completely overreacting to this. Tom has already said that he doesn't know when or what Chad said about "being in awe", but that he knows how hard Chad has worked, and that anyone that has actually been with the team this season knows it as well.

Belichick doesn't give a turd what the media (even if it is Bruschi) says on the air, and he will say just that to Chad. "Forget them. You're a part of this team. And this team knows it."

Last edited:

Are you serious? There were dozens of tweets from all around the league complimenting Tom on his play. You think that was ammo?

The patriots will handle this the same way they handle every other media created diversion, they will ignore it. Talk about your tempest in a teapot.

My disappointment is that Bruschi has now given up on analysing play on the field and is now going for shock jock/sensationalist journalist. I was really hoping that he would really be able to give some good insight into what was happening on the field or in their heads. Apparently that isn't good enough for his bosses at ESPN.

His teammates will be standing by his side and laughing their ***** off at how the media, fans and Bruschi are completely overreacting to this. Tom has already said that he doesn't know when or what Chad said about "being in awe", but that he knows how hard Chad has worked, and that anyone that has actually been with the team this season knows it as well.

Belichick doesn't give a turd what the media (which now includes Bruschi) says, and he will say just that to Chad. "Forget them. You're a part of this team. And this team knows it."

LOL Some of you still don't get it. First thing BB will say to Chad today is WTF were you thinking, only he'll be asking that in relation to the penalty...

Bill lives in a world of self starters, guys who don't make mental mistakes, and if they occasionally do they can take criticism irrespective of their standing or perceived talent and use it as motivation to be better, football players who are as mentally tough as they are physically tough. He doesn't hand out tissues and hugs to bruised egos...

Give me a f'n break. Chad didn't do anything. Bruschi created this all by himself. Just because Tedy was a great Patriot doesn't excuse him ranting like an idiot.

Chad served the ball, Bruschi vollied it back. If Chad had STFU, we wouldn't be talking about, the reporters wouldn't be pouncing on it....because it wouldn't exist.
BB does it best....give them nothing, offer nothing....and the worst they can say is that BB makes their job harder (Or a videotaping cheater :) ).

I don't know about Chad but Moss is bright. He might not act like it but if you really listen to him talk, he's a bright individual. He might not be as polished as someone with his intelligence might have if their concentration was academics but I think he's above average in intelligence. It didn't take Brady or BB to say he was smart. I think his biggest downfall is that he gets bored if he isn't constantly challenged.

I agree that Moss was noted by all to have great football intelligence.
Also, I think he ran only a handful of routes and selectively blocked on running plays which expedited his acclimation to the ESP offense.
I call it ESP because you need to see what Tom is seeing or you are SOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back