PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi to Ochocinco: 'Join the system, buddy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get annoyed about this crap of picking up the offense and other BS,Chad is a longtime veteran and has had enough time to catch a friggin ball in a game on more than occasion.

IMO The problem with Chad is the same problem with Randy when he was here, they cannot get S-E-P-A-R-A-T-I-O-N from cornerbacks anymore except for the rare occasion....We all of course hold up hope that speed is not the factor anymore and he will come around in a few weeks, but I think speed is an issue at this early/mid 30s receiver and once you are not feared by CBs like you were a few years ago,you are on your way to retirement or on a team as a VERY minor contributor.

I don't think so...... It has everything to do with the route tree system as the poster above has said. That is how this offense works at least as far as the WR position goes. It has everything with reading the defense, coming to the same conclusion that TB does and putting yourself in a position that TB will put the ball in. It's not just about speed.

How many times do you see our WR catch a ball when they do not appear to have a defender within 3-4 yds of them......... A LOT. That's why per average, the YAC on this team is very high. If you don't see that, try watching the game with a fan of the opposing team. All you will hear when we are on offense is...... "************.... are they even covering Welker? He's their best receiver." Welker and Brady, and Branch for that matter, are operating from the brain....... when they see how the defense set's up, they automatically ALL KNOW where the soft portion of the coverage will be. One of the receivers will "change" their route and put them self in that spot.... Brady will have the ball waiting for them. Because it's the soft spot, they are more likely then not to be somewhat alone.

Watch the play where Ocho catches it over the middle....... He was essentially alone and got really nice YAC. That's not because he "got separation", it's because he read the defense correctly (i.e. the same way Brady did) and he incut on a slant and was basically by himself when the ball arrived.

It's primarily this reason that NE struggles with team that play heavy man-to-man, disguise their defense well pre-snap. We all know he succumbs to pressure, but I would say he struggles equally with this. That's why we struggled with Cleveland last year. Mangina knows this offense and knows that to undo this offense, you need some pressure, and to disguise defensive intention so that the WR and Brady begin to read it a little differently or see different things. When that happens, we all say...... "Gee, Brady seems out of synch today". Well chances are, he is........ because his WR's are not seeing the same things he is pre-snap and therefore not making the proper route-tree adjustments.

Ocho NEVER had to do any of that in Cincy.

Last edited:
Isn't it a little puzzling that the guy has been in the league for 11 years, yet he has difficulty reading defenses?

It's not about reading the D..it's about learning bradys every single call

A simplified version of the offense is for the outside receiver to read MOF and the CB on his side:
Code:
MOF     CB        Route
Closed  Tight     Go
Closed  Soft      Out 
Closed  Inside    Out
Closed  Outside   Comeback
Open    Tight     Go
Open    Soft      Post
Open    Inside    Out
Open    Outside   Post
That's 8 possible reads, and that's a very simple case. And the QB and the receiver have to read the coverage the same way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back