Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bruschi: They Were Bored

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JSn, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Reiss' chats with Bruschi are HIGHLY illuminating. If he was anyone else I would say he was guessing, but having been with the team his whole career up until pre-season, I believe his thoughts and this is some great stuff. MUST READ.

Tedy Bruschi's breakdown: After bye, Patriots will face Denver-like formations - ESPN Boston

Excerpt:
  2. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I did notice that when Tom through that INT in the end zone against the Bucs he was not as irate as he usually is when he makes a bad mistake...It almost looked like,Oh,Well so we won't win by 7 MORE points..no problem,no big deal after all its the Bucs.
  3. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

Heck, they didn't even let Hoyer throw the ball when he was in the game. . . .
  4. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0

Disable Jersey

Every week Bruschi expresses a degree of skepticism about our starting RB; obviously not a favorite of his.
  5. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think you and I may have see two different Tom Bradys after that play. I saw him visibly upset with it on the replay.
  6. patriots pam

patriots pam Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I felt that might be the case with Brady - that he knowingly took some chances that he typically wouldn't. The bit about the OL penalties being the result of boredom...well, I certainly didn't think that (particularly with Vollmer, I attributed that mostly to his getting a bit gimpy) and I'm still not sure how it translates. But, hey, I've never played a down of football in my life, and more importantly...question Tedy, I will not!

I REALLY love having Tedy's insight each week. If he can't be on the team, this is really the next best thing.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  7. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Watching the Pats so far this season, I'd say him being an analyst is BETTER than him being on the team this year.
  8. patriots pam

patriots pam Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh, absolutely! I just get a pang for the Tedy of years gone by every now and then...can't be helped!
  9. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

When they talk about ROTY neither mentions Miles Austin...that kid is a beast as a rookie WR and probably has done more to help the Cowboys win the past 2 games than Williams or Crayton
  10. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

We need Bruschi to join Patfans to help us in some of those Maroney debate threads ;)
  11. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Imagine:

Patsfan: Maroney doesn't suck, it's the blocking!

Bruschi: No, Maroney sucks.

Patsfan: How would you... yeah, but... ok. :(
  12. Mack Herron

Mack Herron Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

TB: "When you play football in the Northeast, in November, December and January, you have to start considering the weather. Bad weather makes it more difficult to throw the ball, so yards are going to have to be gained on the ground. Laurence Maroney is going to have to show up for this team in the near future. During the Patriots' championship seasons, there were defining moments created by power running backs. Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon were two running backs that brought a physical presence through the running game. Can Maroney establish that same presence that Antowain and Corey did? Winning a championship by constantly throwing the ball will be extremely difficult. Even watching the Colts this year, they have two running backs that will bring it in Donald Brown and Joseph Addai. The Patriots' offense will need to develop this aspect of its game if the team wants to win a championship this year."
  13. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Its been brought up before by I swear that there are some posters who may be ex-players, writers (Bill Simmons for one) and radio/tv guys who enjoy getting the pulse of the fans.
  14. Hercules Rockefeller

Hercules Rockefeller Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

There's no mention of Miles Austin as Rookie of the Year because he's in his fourth season. He was an undrafted free agent in 2006. He's just now making a splash, but he's been around a while now.
  15. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +87 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

Bruschi pimped Joseph Addai. Either Bruschi was talking in generalities and forgetting about the playoffs in 2007 (and a 16-0 season without a 'power running back' for that matter), or Bruschi needs to get a head CT.
  16. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

If all 4th year players qualified for Rookie of the Year, there would be some kind of competition for the award :rolleyes:
  17. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

It was clear they were bored with the way Belichick was subbing so freely so early. I'll be curious if some of the vets like Thomas, Sanders and Springs are as far down on the depth chart as they appear or if they (especially Springs) were getting a mid season breather. My guess is the "new" depth chart will look similar going forward but I'm not 100% confident about that.
  18. MassPats38

MassPats38 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

You overlook the possibility that the fans will discredit Tedy as possessed by the spirit of Greg Easterbrook since he fashioned his unholy alliance with ESPN (you can call the local version "ESPN Loves the Patriots" - I suspect many are still wondering whether it can be trusted and when it goes bad).
  19. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +87 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

Reiss had a chat today where he discussed Springs. He said that Springs had some technique issues against Denver and hasn't seen much time since.
  20. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I thought he was a rookie...shows how much I follow the Cowboys :eek:
  21. BostonRedskin

BostonRedskin Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tedy Bruschi's breakdown: After bye, Patriots will face Denver-like formations - ESPN Boston

I really hope this isnt true for your team. I understand what he is saying but this isnt good for the long term progression of a team from week to week if they get bored vs any team that is weak.

You go into each game to get better. If you slack off vs weak teams it will carry over.

Just my 2 cents.
  22. sbpatfan

sbpatfan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

23. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0

The Clots are averaging 76 yards a game on the ground, despite playing nothing but cup cakes and the Sisters of the Poor.:eek:
  24. italia44

italia44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"head CT"?................nice touch...........classy............Right up there with 'stroke boy"(jetsinsider.com....fyi).
  25. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0

Disable Jersey

Let me say that my man Bruschi, even though he was a player, still has a personal viewpoint, one that may not be shared by the coaches and that may not be spot on. Hell, Josh McD liked K O'C at one time. Bru intimates that the Pats need a Dillon/Smith like output from Maroney. I disagree. Most objective Maroney fans here readily concede that Maroney is not that style of runner, not your basic power back. He is what he is. Me, I'm glad we have him and will agree with Tedy on the part that yes the Pats DO need Maroney to step up for the playoff positioning to be a success. The same could be said for 20-30 other team members.

In summary. I LOVE reading Tedy's comments. They're not 'revealed truths', but as an informed ex-player's view they should provoke thoughtful consideration and reasoned rebuttal.
  26. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0

Disable Jersey

Interesting. Lots of nuggets in these reports.

Perhaps some vets get SO intrenched in their own techniques and styles of play, successful with stuff that has gotten them years of big NFL paychecks, that they're not exactly flexible to coaching driven alternatives. Restricting PT is about all a coach can do outside of severaing the relationship entirely.
  27. Wax Frog

Wax Frog Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Did not Ian once say something along the lines of, "You'd be surprised who's here"?
  28. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +87 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

Sure, and I've got no problem with Bruschi if he wants to call out any player. I sure as hell don't think that Maroney is blameless and perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I just have a problem when you cite to Joesph Addai when you're talking about a "power running back". Aside from Addai's diminishing returns of 4.8, 4.1, 3.5, 3.3 YPC, the notion that Addai's a power back is something Tedy surely knows to be wrong.
  29. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0

Disable Jersey

Flutie, is that you?
  30. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +87 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

So, is it that you've never heard the phrase "needs his head examined", or that you found my treating Bruschi like I would any healthy person to be insensitive even though his stroke is years in the past?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.