PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi: The ring can be a burden

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Nice insight from Tedy on why it is so difficult to repeat. Basically the weight of expectations. Both underscores how special our doing just that in 2003-2004 was and why it was so unlikely a repeat let alone a threepeat (or winning every year as some here seemingly demand) could ever have happened. I imagine the weight of expectations following an undefeated season was similarly draining. So in some way it's probably a good thing that the weight or burden all of that, kind of like the pictures, is well out of sight in the rear view mirror this time around.

With both of last year's Super Bowl participants eliminated from the playoffs this past weekend, it rekindles the question of why it is so difficult to return to the big game, especially as the defending champion. The ring might have had something to do with it.

It's beautiful, something you've wanted your entire life. But in its immediacy, it can be extremely heavy. You've never had your mental toughness tested until you live the challenge of trying to repeat as a world champion... like living with a gorilla riding on your shoulders. Playing every week against an opponent who wants to prove a point by beating the defending world champion is extremely draining.

You can deny it all you want, but you don't realize how much pressure it is until the next season is over. The next training camp, it might not be said, but you feel relieved. The feeling of a fresh start and a clean slate is welcomed.

We weren't able to repeat after that (first) championship. We fell into the familiar trap the next season by concerning ourselves with things that had little to do with the game. Players were worried about contracts and endorsements and even uniform colors. We learned from that, and luckily, we got a second chance.

When I see a group of kids, I will wear one of my rings and reflect on when I put it on. It has taken retirement for me to reach this point. I see the rings, and they remind me of special years of my career played with special teammates and coaches. They are now shiny and weightless when I put them on my hands, but at times, the weight was more than we could handle.

The New Orleans Saints now know this.

New Orleans Saints feel burden of being defending champ - ESPN Boston

Injuries are a key reason why teams are unable to repeat. The Saints and Colts had key players placed on injured reserve prior to and during the course of the regular season. The 2005 New England Patriots is a good case study with regard to injuries:

Matt Light - injured reserve
Dan Koppen - injured reserve
Ted Johnson - early retirement (concussions?)
Tedy Bruschi - stroke prior to the 2005 NFL Season
Gus Scott - injured reserve
Rodney Harrison - injured reserve
Randall Gay - injured reserve
Tyrone Poole - injured reserve
Duane Starks - injured reserve
Chad Scott - injured reserve

Nick Kaczur - DNP against Denver in the playoffs. The New England Patriots offense was down to Ashworth at left tackle and Gorin at right tackle against the Denver Broncos.

Injuries are a key reason why teams are unable to repeat. The Saints and Colts had key players placed on injured reserve prior to and during the course of the regular season. The 2005 New England Patriots is a good case study with regard to injuries:

Matt Light - injured reserve
Dan Koppen - injured reserve
Ted Johnson - early retirement (concussions?)
Tedy Bruschi - stroke prior to the 2005 NFL Season
Gus Scott - injured reserve
Rodney Harrison - injured reserve
Randall Gay - injured reserve
Tyrone Poole - injured reserve
Duane Starks - injured reserve
Chad Scott - injured reserve

Nick Kaczur - DNP against Denver in the playoffs. The New England Patriots offense was down to Ashworth at left tackle and Gorin at right tackle against the Denver Broncos.

I think that one actually helped the team, not trying to be mean but seriously.

is Tedy Bruschi Frodo Baggans?

IMO Teddy touched on the most relevant part of this which is the target on your back.

Sure there is the mental burden of having attained your goal and needing to mentally prepare to do it again which is naturally you might let down a little for the second one.
Sure there is the burden of a shorter offseason.

But to me the biggest challenge is that every team pretty much brings their A game vs you. And on this note I think the success we have had the last 10 years has left that bulls eye on our shoulders. Teams come in vs us the same as they do the defending champs which is they come in thinking they can prove themselves vs us.

BB has mentioned several other reasons.

Chief among them being the much shorter off season.

Some teams have already started focusing on the April draft, team needs in the off-season, available FA worth perusing, etc. For two teams such thoughts will have to wait until the second week of February.

That makes the dynasty and even post-dynasty years all the more impressive. How many teams in history have won 3+ rings in a short span and continued to contend year after year. People try to crap on us for the chokes in '06 and '07 but really to me it's amazing that the team was still good enough to be in that position. Just proves how little they understand the game. This is with FA and salary cap that past dynasties didn;t have to deal with, along with losing 4 top notch assistants to HC jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back