PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi reacts to Vrabel trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
BostonHerald.com - Blogs: The Point After Blog Archive Bruschi reacts to Vrabel trade

Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi responded via email last night to the trade of fellow linebacker Mike Vrabel, one of his closest friends on the team, and someone he shared three Super Bowl championships.

Here's what he wrote: "We've lost perhaps our best all around football player. Defense, offense, special teams, Vrabes did it all. His intelligence and on field adjustments can not be replaced. This team has just changed immensely. "

Well... that certainly makes it sting less, eh?

Anyone think we've seen the last of more vets than just Vrabel?

He can't be happy with those comments. I hope this is the sign of the youth movement in our front 7.

I think we're going to grow ourselves a new defense while we have that uber powerful offense to cover it over the next couple of seasons.

This isn't the first time the players have been irked by a trade or cut. Remember the "they hate their coach" bit a while back? Both the Milloy and Branch moves made rumbles when they happened too.

Hopefully they can get it all worked out during the offseason.

-Rob-

It certainly is changing; especially the LB group. Colvin and Vrabel both gone this off-season, and Tedy himself can't be much more than a season behind.

I think some people here are reading into the comment that "this team has changed immensely" with some tense, forlorn bitterness on Bruschi's part, as in, "d%#*!@t, you've changed!" My take is that it's an extension of the first part of the quote - IOW, given how many aspects of the game Vrabel contributed to, it's a very big change.

That said, I also acknowledge that Tedy is emotional, and very close to Vrabel and one of the few "old guard" guys remaining in Foxboro. I just also want to point out that he got over the turmoil surrounding Lawyer's shocking and bitter departure, and that Tedy, while still a possible key role player, is not going to be one of our core starters anymore.

Last edited:
I think some people here are reading into the comment that "this team has changed immensely" with some tense, forlorn bitterness on Bruschi's part, as in, "d%#*!@t, you've changed!" My take is that it's an extension of the first part of the quote - IOW, given how many aspects of the game Vrabel contributed to, it's a very big change.

That said, I also acknowledge that Tedy is emotional, and very close to Vrabel and one of the few few "old guard" guys remaining in Foxboro. I just also want to point out that he got over the turmoil surrounding Lawyer's shocking and bitter departure, and that Tedy, while still a possible key role player, is not going to be one of our core starters anymore.

Yeah, I'm also not seeing the same bitterness, anger, or whatever in Tedy's words. It could be there, but the quote doesn't necessarily reveal it.

He’s good friends with mikes, of course he’s mad about it, but the truth is mike is on the older side and has slowed down "immensely” (unfortunately so has teddy,) He won’t mind it so much when we draft a stud outside linebacker who helps us win super bowl number four..

At least unlike the Milloy cut, its happened in February rather than just before the season.

I sense Bru may be in even more of a rotational role next year with Guyton. Lets hope he gets a 4th ring.

I hate to say it but the defense needed to change immensely. I know they were hit by injuries later in the season and Belichick let them down by not adequately replacing Samuel but there were games, even some wins like the Miami win, where the defense was just embarassingly bad. Statistically they were alright but we played a bad schedule which is why the defense ranked #20 according to Football Outsiders but top ten according to standard stats.

I hate to say it but we need Tedy to move on too and find a solution next to Mayo - possibly a guy to split with Guyton - because Mayo is now the face of the defense for me.

I do love Vrabel, Tedy and Rodney, though.

If he is emotional (and I am sure he is) then I can't blame him at all. Many fans are very emotional about Vrabel being traded so of course a close teammate could be upset over it.

This defense in un-athletic as hell. Vrabel was my favorite player on the team not drafted by us. He was a non-factor last year. Adalius Thomas moves back outside where he is more comfortable and a better player than Mike at this point in his career. The other olb will be a 3-way battle with P.Woods/S.Crable and a high draft pick(1st or 2nd). And, yes I think Tedy should be careful with what he says. He hasn't been the same since his stroke. And, who would be. I'd like Tedy to stick around and help the younger lb's. But, he can be replaced
too.

I love Bruschi and it's obviously hard when you loose a teammate you have played with so long but times are changing are defense is getting younger, faster, more aggressive and I think everyone knows its for the better. I love having guys like Vrable, Bruschi, Seau, etc on the roster because of their leadership, experience, love of the game, but like all good they eventually come to an end. Here's to a new era of New England Patriots Defense :eat3:

Times are changing. That's just how it goes as we all know. Honestly though, this defense wasn't scaring anyone last season and at this rate, weren't going to anytime soon.

Change was needed and I think everyone on this board knew that. TBru knows change is part of the business as well or he wouldn't of played almost 15 yrs in the NFL.

The good thing is when most teams start cleaning house like say Tampa Bay, they are basically admitting to their fans that we will not be competing this upcoming season until our young players develop that will be coming in.

In New Englands case, we still have 3 rather young defensive lineman and a couple of pretty studly LBs. We are just interchanging or rather injecting youth at some of these positions, The big point will be who is inserted and if Belichick can coach them into the Patriots we are used to having at these positions.

Right now defensively imo we are 1 LB, 1 Safety and 1 CB away from being an elite defense again. Hopefully this will be adressed soon. One thing is for sure, the defense is definately getting younger and faster and that is exactly what the Patriots staff wants. As far as depth, we have plenty. Guyton,Crable,Wilhite just to name a few.

Pains me to say it, but you cant just continue to be one of the worst redzone defenses in all of football, and not expect to "change immensely". And you start with the pass rush, and within our scheme, you start with OLB. We need plays made from that spot, and we just werent getting them.

Tough call on Vrabel, and Bru's comments are obviously very understandable.

I know Bruschi is upset losing a friend as a teammate, but I don't know if this was the wrong decision depending how the offseason plays out. Both Vrabel and Bruschi were nearing the end of their Patriots career no matter if Vrabel was traded or not. The Pats need to move forward.

My Vrabel fan side of me agrees with Bruschi, but my Patriots fan in me thinks it was probably the right move. This defense needs to start to transistion from Bruschi's, Vrabel's, and Harrison's defense to Mayo's, Wilfork's, and Meriweather's defense. The younger guys need to start to make an imprint on the defense while the older guys will fade away just like McGinest, Law, Milloy, and Phifer did. It is the only way to remain competitive for the long haul.

"We've lost perhaps our best all around football player"

Rose colored glasses. Teddy wants to believe that the Pats lost a guy who was capable of double digit sacks each and every year he steps on the field. No doubt Teddy remembers 2007. But reflecting back on both the 2007 and 2008 seasons, I recall a major difference. In '07, the Pats were blowing teams out and every down was a passing down for the opposition. Vrabel and all defenders played pass most every play. Fast forward to '08, the Pats played more close games or defecit games....so I am assuming the rushers were in a more neutral mode on non obvious passing downs....read and react. Hence, the huge drop off in sack stats. No question the loss of AT impacted the pass rush, and I'm sure the OLB felt an obligation to aid the rookie ILBs to some extent, but it became clear that Vrabel had lost a step. He just wasn't winning the 1 on 1 battles any more. Great player, great guy, great Patriot, but BB made the right call with Willie McGuiness (sp.?) and I believe this was the right call again.... Good luck Mike V.

I just hope Vrabel was not a cap dump. I sure hope they get something for cassel if it was.

Future superbowls or nostalgia....take your choice. I enjoy the past and appreciate all contributions by key vets, but.....it is always better to trade a great one a year too early as opposed to a year too late.

It is the NFL-- Not For Long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye