PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi - Possible Scaphoid Injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunzoburns

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
If Teddy broke his scaphoid, it could be bad news. I broke my scaphoid a couple of years ago and I was in a cast for three miserable months.

bunzoburns said:
If Teddy broke his scaphoid, it could be bad news. I broke my scaphoid a couple of years ago and I was in a cast for three miserable months.

The good news is a LB could still play in a cast if need be. Sure, he won't be making all of the ints but he would still be effective.

didn't Bruschi come back from a stroke? The words "Injured Scaphoid" probably make him giddy.

bunzoburns said:

Is there a link to this info???

Ya, he gets to sit out of camp in this heat wave, not bad.

He will study plays and film, ride the bike, and be another coach off the field.

This injury, knock on wood, will not be a big deal.

I am amazed by how Tomase and the Herald are " all over " this story, while the Globe barely mentions it. I have a feeling it may be the Herald on a witchhunt.

I got the opinion from Tomase's article today, chatting with Dr. Morgan, that IF is was the scaphoid, it COULD be bad. Almost like they were just predicting what it MIGHT be and the consequences of that.

We all know that if we were playing a big game on Sunday that Tedy would be front and center on D.

I found the "story". I find this very humorus...here is the quote from the doctor interviewed for the "story"

“I used to hate when people would second-guess with no idea of reality,” Morgan said. “For these fractures, you really have to be cautious. If it doesn’t heal properly, it can be a huge problem, even in Joe Blow, never mind a high-performance athlete.”

"Morgan stressed that he has not examined Bruschi himself."

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=151172

Wow great you have not even been in the same room as the player yet you are making a diagnosis on what "could be" the problem? This would be why maybe the Globe hasn't picked up the story since it is 100% conjecture it seems. Typical media trhowing whatever they can against the wall and see if it sticks.

Maybe there are some MD's reading patsfans.com .....

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=38508&page=3

njpatsfan said:
Barring any speculation about BB injury obfuscation, I would say that if it IS a broken wrist (as opposed to a severe sprain), it's probably a scaphoid fracture (small bone below your thumb) as opposed to a radial fracture (the end of the larger bone in your forearm). You KNOW when you have a radial fracture (at least I did). Scaphoid fractures can appear initally to be a sprain, and may require an MRI / bone scan to diagnose.

If it is a scaphoid fracture, and it's non-displaced (doesn't need to be set or screwed), we're probably looking at 6-8 weeks out.

Not an MD, just someone with some experience breaking bones. Any MD's read patsfans.com ?

R

R

I certainly hope not.

From http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw021.htm

How successful is treatment?
-Regardless of treatment, recovery takes a surprisingly long time - six to twelve months is typical.
-Pain, fatigability, and loss of grip strength are a nuisance in about half of people with this type of injury. Some wrist stiffness is very common.

huskeralk said:
The good news is a LB could still play in a cast if need be. Sure, he won't be making all of the ints but he would still be effective.

It would still bother him though. Remember Watson's great play against the Jags in the playoffs? That all started because Mike Peterson was wearing a cast and could only use one arm to grab Watson with and he broke away. Plus, when you watch Bruschi, he uses his hands a lot to fight off blockers. Hey, he's a great player but I don't think there is any way he's just as good if he's wearing a cast. Not an inside linebacker.

By the way, how come if Thomase does some work and breaks a story, it's a witch hunt but if Reiss does it he's the hardest working journalist in Boston? If Reiss wrote this story, you would all be praising him. I say give Thomase some props for this one. He finally got off his fat ass and did some work for a change. Just because you don't like what the story is about, it doesn't mean he made it up.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
By the way, how come if Thomase does some work and breaks a story, it's a witch hunt but if Reiss does it he's the hardest working journalist in Boston? If Reiss wrote this story, you would all be praising him. I say give Thomase some props for this one. He finally got off his fat ass and did some work for a change. Just because you don't like what the story is about, it doesn't mean he made it up.

Thomase exaggerates and makes stuff up for a sensational story.

See last year's season ending calf tear for Bruschi. He only missed a game, I think.

With the Bills and Jets leading off our schedule, we don't need Bruschi for 6-7, thankfully. We will need him for Denver then Cincy and Miami but hopefully the worst case would be to miss those three tough games then we have our bye and don't play again until 10/22, something like 10 weeks from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back