PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi Podcast:Colts the most dangerous matchup for pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will just say that if we are not in the AFC championship game it would be very dissapointing after last year's one and done.I know that this team has accomplished alot but u have to capitalized with the home field advantage.

The Ravens have made life miserable for Brady and his offense and other than the 2 losses the Pats have,the Ravens were able to contain Brady to an acceptible level for the 2nd time in a row.

The Ravens have the defense it takes to make it tough on the Pats offense like no other AFC team including the Colts

but the ravens cant beat the colts. that matchup has favored the colts even when balt had a better defense.

but the ravens cant beat the colts. that matchup has favored the colts even when balt had a better defense.

The Ravens IMO are on a mission and realizing the window is closing with thier defense getting a bit older,I expect a full out effort against the Colts and a victory by a few points

What I don't understand is that so many in this forum always bash Manning saying how he melts once the playoffs start yet some of those same Manning bashers are secretly worried about the Colts :confused:

HOWEVER -- The Colts have yet to guarantee a playoff spot so that could change to Jacksonville being South Champ if Tennessee comes to play in Fisher's finale as their head coach and Jacksonville takes care of thier business in Houston.

Last edited:
The Ravens IMO are on a mission and realizing the window is closing with thier defense getting a bit older,I expect a full out effort against the Colts and a victory by a few points

What I don't understand is that so many in this forum always bash Manning saying how he melts once the playoffs start yet some of those same Manning bashers are secretly worried about the Colts :confused:

HOWEVER -- The Colts have yet to guarantee a playoff spot so that could change to Jacksonville being South Champ if Tennessee comes to play in Fisher's finale as their head coach and Jacksonville takes care of thier business in Houston.

i understand but i dont know if they can beat manning. Somehow he handles them pretty well

On NBC, Rodney has said that teams don't play man coverage against us and that it would be somewhat successful. That is until the Packers did. They can do it because of a talented pass rush and strong secondary. So I would say there aren't any AFC teams that have a defense that can play man and rush the passer well. The Jets can try but their secondary didn't hold up last time. I don't think Baltimore can either. That playoff game is ancient history.

i understand but i dont know if they can beat manning. Somehow he handles them pretty well
The loss of Collie I think is going to hurt the Colts a lot,he is their most dangerous receiver outside of Wayne and Clark

I am not convinced that Blair White and Tamme can provide the weapons for Peyton in the playoffs

I think its one and done for the horseshoes this year - IF they get to the playoffs.

No TEAM in the AFC scares me when it comes to beating the Patriots.

Peyton Manning scares me. Take that contradiction as you will.

No team in the NFC scares me either. The only ones that worry me are the Saints and Packers.

Go Pats!

Reading this thread left me with this.

ManningFace.jpg

Last edited:
i think tedy mentioned even on nfl live. the big question with the pats will be the turnovers if they can generate like they have done on defense. i think since the pitts game they have made turnovers in every game. Our offensive #s are a little bit enhanced because of all the short fields and defensive scoring our D has done. Can the offense win a game in 4 quarters where the D doesnt get turnovers ? For me its the biggest question.
The colts game is the biggest example. The offense didnt muster a drive when it needed and let the D out to finish the game. Even brady acknowledges in his WEEI spots, the D is the real star for the last few weeks.

I think as long as we get most of are D Line back that will sure up the running defense. We can force teams to be 1 dimensional and get some turn overs.. but if the pats defense plays like it did against Green bay or Cleveland we will be in trouble.

Honestly this might sound a little crazy but I think Sandiego really could have put up the best fight against us.. I think there a better team than Baltimore.. but somehow they choked away there season.. Other than that I feel pretty confident going up against of the remaining teams.. Baltimore probably has the best chance to come in here and hang with us.. I feel like the Colts would get there asses handed to them up here in January.. KC might put up a decent fight for 3 quarters or so... The Jets honestly would get there asses handed to them again. The Steelers just don;t seem to match up with us that well.. and there offensive line sucks.. its more there past accomplishments that people fear. At this point it would be a travesty if the Pats didn't make it to the big dance.. But if they do make it there and Brady loses another super bowl.. that won't be good for the legacy.

I think as long as we get most of are D Line back that will sure up the running defense. We can force teams to be 1 dimensional and get some turn overs.. but if the pats defense plays like it did against Green bay or Cleveland we will be in trouble.

Honestly this might sound a little crazy but I think Sandiego really could have put up the best fight against us.. I think there a better team than Baltimore.. but somehow they choked away there season.. Other than that I feel pretty confident going up against of the remaining teams.. Baltimore probably has the best chance to come in here and hang with us.. I feel like the Colts would get there asses handed to them up here in January.. KC might put up a decent fight for 3 quarters or so... The Jets honestly would get there asses handed to them again. The Steelers just don;t seem to match up with us that well.. and there offensive line sucks.. its more there past accomplishments that people fear. At this point it would be a travesty if the Pats didn't make it to the big dance.. But if they do make it there and Brady loses another super bowl.. that won't be good for the legacy.

Your first part is correct. 'If' the Patriots have a healthy D line and that translates to stopping the opponents run game, the Patriots are in good shape (if not we aren't in "trouble", we just are in for a dogfight). In general, imho, the Patriots will be VERY hard to beat for anyone (even bringing their A game against the Patriots) if the D line keeps the opponent's run game in check and the O line protects Brady.

When Brady has time the Patriots put up a lot of points consistently. I think it is safe to say our opponents will have to score at least 34 points to win (we have put up 31+ points the last 7 games - some against top opponents). Then with their run game taken away and putting it in the air a lot, our D has shown a consistent ability get turnovers. How often have our potential opponents scored the kind of points needed to beat the patriots (approx 34)? Not very often and against the lesser opponents:
Baltimore 3 times (against Buff. Carolina, Houston), The Jets 1 (Buff), Pitt 2 (Oak and Tampa), KC 3 times (Tenn, Seattle, Jax), Indy 3 (Giants, Dallas, Jax).

On NBC, Rodney has said that teams don't play man coverage against us and that it would be somewhat successful. That is until the Packers did. They can do it because of a talented pass rush and strong secondary. So I would say there aren't any AFC teams that have a defense that can play man and rush the passer well. The Jets can try but their secondary didn't hold up last time. I don't think Baltimore can either. That playoff game is ancient history.

Even then, that wasn't even the Packers' best defense. The fact that they had the ball for 40 or whatever minutes, was.

As for the Colts, my question is this -

How will Peyton fare after spending all night shaking in the fetal position reliving nightmarish flashbacks from his previous trips to NE?

All kidding aside, I don't expect any easy playoff games.

Last edited:
I don't disagree at all. I'm still rooting for them to NOT make it.

My feelings exactly. Although the Colts are struggling this year, they still have the opportunity to put points on the board. No defense seems to be able to keep the Patriots off the board.

Second worst matchup is the Ravens, IMO.

I have lots of confidence against Jets, Kansas City or Steelers. The Steelers don't change their basic game plan on defense which allows the Patriots offense to always pick them apart. Kansas City is a decent team but has beat up on weak teams. When push comes to shove, I believe that the Patriots can stop the run. The Jets have been exposed by the Patriots and are no longer the team they were earlier in the year.

When Brady has time the Patriots put up a lot of points consistently. I think it is safe to say our opponents will have to score at least 34 points to win (we have put up 31+ points the last 7 games - some against top opponents).

Based on 2010 results, this line of thinking is actually incorrect. Only twice all year has NE been held to fewer than 23 points; they lost both of these 14-point efforts.

Conversely, the team has given up 30+ points only twice, to the Bills and Browns. Obviously with split results.

So while conventional thinking is you need to score a lot to beat the 2010 Pats, the reality is that you need to stifle the offense instead. And frankly, I'm not sure there is a defense capable of this. Maybe the Ravens?

most dangerous

1. colts
2. ravens
3. steelers
4. jets

Well this would be my wish:

End the colts season in the first round.
End the Ravens season in the Championship round.
Beat the Saints in the SuperBowl.

In the words of Michael Corleone (BB), " Today I settled all Family Business"

:cool3::cool3::cool3:

Last edited:
I wouldn't relax with a 35 pt lead on Indy going into the 4th Q. They will score 28 and make it interesting. Bank on it.

I agree with Tedy here but the good news is the Pats are pretty dangerous too.

From the team that concerns me most, to the team that concerns me least:

Ravens
Steelers
Jets
Colts
Chiefs

Ravens
Chiefs
Steelers
Jets
Colts

Status