PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi: Patriots Offseason Fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henroc

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
ESPN BOSTON Video: Watch Sports Videos and Highlights Online - ESPN Boston

Bruschi just goes into his analysis of the pats offseason and details how the Pats just fixed so many holes on the team. Brandon Lloyd's signing was certainly a strong addition to the WR corps along with the other WR's for depth. And also now you add in the draft and this team looks like it has really increased its chances of being in New Orleans next year. Can't even remember how many analysts i've heard say that the pats had a great draft and are def looking like the team to best represent the AFC next year in the Super Bowl.
I can't remember the last time i was this excited for the regular season to start...

What do you make of the Patriots thus far this off-season? What holes remain? How do you think we can overcome those needs? FA, UDFA? What do you think this team still needs to do in order to be superb?:popcorn::popcorn:

Glad to see Bruschi back from his journey into the anti-Patriots ESPN world. Thought Mark Schlereth got a hold of him and converting him to the Cult of Patriots Suck.

What do you think this team still needs to do in order to be superb?:popcorn::popcorn:

Win every game it plays after next Thanksgiving, and most particularly every postseason game.

1.Add some depth and better competition to the defensive line by the time TC is under way, although with approx. 900 players being the last line of cuts from 80 to 53 at the end of TC, we may have the opportunity to pick up a player of some value in the last week of camp too.

2.Sign a veteran RB to round out the core, and offer starter capability in case of injury.

3.Have a bit of luck on our side with limited injuries this year, at least at positions of significant value

1.Add some depth and better competition to the defensive line by the time TC is under way, although with approx. 900 players being the last line of cuts from 80 to 53 at the end of TC, we may have the opportunity to pick up a player of some value in the last week of camp too.

2.Sign a veteran RB to round out the core, and offer starter capability in case of injury.

3.Have a bit of luck on our side with limited injuries this year, at least at positions of significant value

Great points. The most critical one is #3 for me. It seems like in recent years we always have somebody that goes down and ***** our D.

Patriots will be the team to beat in the AFC.

Speaking of injuries, wish someone would do a long term study on the frequency of injuries after a Superbowl season.. from my unscientific view we always seem to have more after playing more than the regular 16 game schedule.

Hopefully I am wrong....

Pats have reinforced secondary and LB corps. Interior Dline is status quo. DE position may sacrifice early production to achieve long term sustained production.
On O....T is weaker, Interior OL may be deeper, RB is weaker (temporary), TE reinforced, WR more athletic and deeper.
Bottomline....Pats have serious amount of depth across the board with T being the most vulnerable slot. No Light and a gimpy Seabass.....and I don't see Cannon as maneuverable enough to be effective. Stay healthy

The only position on the team that concerns me is the O-line. I think that they need a little more depth at tackle. The status of Waters is still up in the air as well. Luckily, there is still time to stregnthen this area. A veteran running back wouldn't hurt either.

Win every game it plays after next Thanksgiving, and most particularly every postseason game.

Go back to a ball control, clock killing offense. If they never do it during the season, they can't just turn it on in the playoffs when they need it.

The defense would be a lot better if they could get a little more recovery time between series.

Go back to a ball control, clock killing offense. If they never do it during the season, they can't just turn it on in the playoffs when they need it.

The defense would be a lot better if they could get a little more recovery time between series.

That has become a lot easier now, with a receiver who can now really work the sideline. If Waters comes back and the offense stays pretty healthy, the Pats will set a record in the least punts/drives ever.

Im glad Bruschi is not a Homer and tells it like it is. If the Pats screw up he doesnt sugar coat it.

Personally, I'd like to have seen upgrades at cornerback. Seems that would be a need after the 4th quarter of last year's Super Bowl, no? It's not the only reason, but to me it's a clear need. One big play in the 4th that went out way and we'd be hoisting the trophy, as opposed to the Giants making the one big play. IMHO our CBs are just OK.

Personally, I'd like to have seen upgrades at cornerback. Seems that would be a need after the 4th quarter of last year's Super Bowl, no? It's not the only reason, but to me it's a clear need. One big play in the 4th that went out way and we'd be hoisting the trophy, as opposed to the Giants making the one big play. IMHO our CBs are just OK.

Average DB's look great when the DL and LB's can get to the QB. Didn't do enough of that in the AFCCG and SB. Hopefully with the addition of Chandler Jones, Jake Bequette, Trevor Scott and hopefully the return of a healthy Andre Carter, as well as some well timed blitz's by Mayo, Hightower and Ninkovich will create a lot of pressure/sacks on the QB.

I'm really hoping the Pats resign Andre Carter for a year, he could be a great mentor for Jones, Bequette & Hightower, sort of like how Alge Crumpler was a great mentor for Gronkowski and Hernandez in 2010.

Oh, and a veteran RB would be nice to compliment the young RB's.

Last edited by a moderator:

A better pass rush will by its nature improve the CB by forcing the QB to make the throws quicker and requiring them to cover a WR for less time....On paper, the Pats front 7 looks stronger than in years past and more likely to get to the QB which should help the DBs....

W have upgraded, a fit Dowling, Dennard, Will Allen, Wilson and Marquise Cole are all essentially new players for us, plus we won't see Antuan Molden and Edelman in the defensive backfield which is a bonus.

It's a fair point. I think BB feels that with Dowling and McCourty at outside corners, enabling Arrington to move to slot corner, plus 2 decent cover safeties and a better pash rush, the overall pass defense will improve considerably.

If Arrington had been on Mannington, that completion may not have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down