PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi demoted to backup role behind Mayo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well than i'm going ballistic. I think it's pretty ridiculous to say that Bruschi is less valuable than Guyton. I like guyton alot but i still feel like they're gonna split snaps. Bruschi still knows alot about the system, the opponents, how to prepare etc.

Bruschi does know the system, but so does Guyton now. Guyton is also MUCH faster than Bruschi, and after the offseason and muscle gain, hes just as big as Bruschi, so there's reason to believe he'll be better against both the pass and the run.

Bruschi does know the system, but so does Guyton now. Guyton is also MUCH faster than Bruschi, and after the offseason and muscle gain, hes just as big as Bruschi, so there's reason to believe he'll be better against both the pass and the run.

Size,Speed and Muscle mean sh!t in sports if you lack talent,There are guys I know who are 6'9 but absolutely suck in basketball..talent always rules supreme and if Guyton shows what he did last year in limited appearances then he will be fine because he was decent in 08 when he was on the field,but the jury is still out on him as a starter until we see what he can bring to the table on a regular every down basis.

This is just total nonsense. First of all, size, speed muscles don't mean anything. Second of all, Bru has proven 14 years long that he's good enough for the NFL, while Guyton barely has played half a season at that level. Third of all, Bru still has made more tackles and big plays and CONTRIBUTED more to this team than Guyton did. I agree that he's declining and that Guyton could be in the mix for a starting spot the next couple of years, but saying Guyton beats Bruschi on knowing the system and on being an nfl player is total bulls*t

Size,Speed and Muscle mean sh!t in sports if you lack talent,There are guys I know who are 6'9 but absolutely suck in basketball..talent always rules supreme and if Guyton shows what he did last year in limited appearances then he will be fine because he was decent in 08 when he was on the field,but the jury is still out on him as a starter until we see what he can bring to the table on a regular every down basis.

I agree, the jury is still out on Guyton. If BB think Guyton has shown enough to get first crack at the position, then great for Guyton, but until he produces on the field, I am very glad Bruschi is in the bullpen.

Bruschi is pretty much a liability on any non-running down at this point.

It's gotten to the point where, IMO, Guyton is pretty clearly a better player.

This is just total nonsense. First of all, size, speed muscles don't mean anything. Second of all, Bru has proven 14 years long that he's good enough for the NFL, while Guyton barely has played half a season at that level. Third of all, Bru still has made more tackles and big plays and CONTRIBUTED more to this team than Guyton did. I agree that he's declining and that Guyton could be in the mix for a starting spot the next couple of years, but saying Guyton beats Bruschi on knowing the system and on being an nfl player is total bulls*t

"proving for 14 years" means nothing if he doesn't have the same physical skills he used to have. Marvin Harrison "proved for 13 years" that he had the talent, but you don't see anyone rushing to sign him right now, do you?

Bruschi isn't declining, hes declined. Guyton, by week 10, was already the better player. Bruschi is mediocre against the run, and an absolute liability against the pass, something Guyton is very good at.

What Bruschi has "CONTRIBUTED" in the past is completely and utterly irrelevant going forward.

Last edited:
"

What Bruschi has "CONTRIBUTED" in the past is completely and utterly irrelevant going forward.

Truth hurts but such is life. I hope he really comes back as our LB coach when he hangs it up.

I doubt Bruschi gets cut this year but I believe he does retire at the end of the year.

He is still more valueable to the team this season than most of the 'depth' players BB has at LB.

When did Mayo say (approximate quote)

"I'm pretty sure I can run faster than Tedy Bruschi, but he gets to the ballcarrier before I do even so."

Anyhow, Tedy has always been the lead singer of the "Check your ego at the door" chorus. Having one's career wind down is never fun, but he'll deal with it when (not if) it happens.

This is great news as I was hoping Bruschi would take a seat behind Mayo and Guyton. In fact, Bruschi has been a liability in coverage for the last several years. I know fans of Bruschi can't grasp the fact that he can't play anymore, but the Pats will be a lot better off by starting the youth movement now instead of when Bruschi retires. Many people like myself predicting Guyton would start opposite Mayo instead of Bruschi because the LB's have been a problem for the last few seasons.

Last edited:
When did Mayo say (approximate quote)

"I'm pretty sure I can run faster than Tedy Bruschi, but he gets to the ballcarrier before I do even so."

Mayo may have said that as a sign of respect, but watching the games last year, and looking at the tackling stats, hes incorrect.

This is great news as I was hoping Bruschi would take a seat behind Mayo and Guyton. In fact, Bruschi has been a liability in coverage for the last several years. I know fans of Bruschi can't grasp the fact that he can't play anymore, but the Pats will be a lot better off by starting the youth movement now instead of when Bruschi retires. Many people like myself predicting Guyton would start opposite Mayo instead of Bruschi because the LB's have been a problem for the last few seasons.

Agreed. The sad truth is that Bruschi is a liability on the field more than he is an asset. Being able to read the play but not get there in time doesn't cut it. If old and slow could cut it, Pepper Johnson knows the system inside and out too.

Bruschi has been a warrior for us and was one of the best in his time. But SBs aren't won with nostalgia.

If Lenon outshines Guyton you may see Mayo and Lenon - Guyton is far from a lock 'for a seat' next to Mayo for majority of the snaps

If Lenon outshines Guyton you may see Mayo and Lenon - Guyton is far from a lock 'for a seat' next to Mayo for majority of the snaps

Your absolutely right about Guyton not being a lock and Lenon unseating him. Although some stats don't tell the entire story, Lenon is coming off of a 100 tackle season with the worst team in NFL history. However, I didn't consider Lenon because of what I've heard of him struggling to pick up the system.

Agreed. The sad truth is that Bruschi is a liability on the field more than he is an asset. Being able to read the play but not get there in time doesn't cut it. If old and slow could cut it, Pepper Johnson knows the system inside and out too.

Bruschi has been a warrior for us and was one of the best in his time. But SBs aren't won with nostalgia.

Your exactly right and took the words right out of my mouth. Although Bruschi knows the system like the back of his hand, he can't make plays because players are running away from him. In fact, I saw this last season when Seau and Colvin were playing for the Pats. Even though they knew what the opposing players were about to do with the ball, they couldn't catch them because they have lost so much speed.

Last edited:
This year could be like Troy's last year, when he was on the team but not really noticeable week to week.

This year could be like Troy's last year, when he was on the team but not really noticeable week to week.

I hope this is the case. This would be a graceful exit.

Bruschi was the worst player on D last year at his number of snaps or more. He is a shadow of a once great player. We are thin at LB, and he has experience, he will stay and take 0-12 snaps a game.

He will retire, his number will go up, and nobody will think about how he played in '08 and '09.

Finis

Last edited:
In his last year, is Bruschi good enough to be our #9 LB? Of course, he is. He will be role player. Obviously, he will not be in the game on passing downs. Will he start? Will Guyton? Will Lenon? I suspect that depends on who we are playing. Personally, I'd start Bruschi in a 3-4 2-gap defense against running teams.

Bruschi might even be inactive as the season goes on. In any case, he is valuable enough to be one of our 53 man squad.

If he is at the bottom of the roster, then we have someone capable of starting and playing run downs, with lots of experience. That's pretty good for a bottom of the roster player.

Last edited:
In his last year, is Bruschi good enough to be our #9 LB? Of course, he is. He will be role player. Obviously, he will not be in the game on passing downs. Will he start? Will Guyton? Will Lenon? I suspect that depends on who we are playing. Personally, I'd start Bruschi in a 3-4 2-gap defense against running teams.

Bruschi might even be inactive as the season goes on. In any case, he is valuable enough to be one of our 53 man squad.

If he is at the bottom of the roster, then we have someone capable of starting and playing run downs, with lots of experience. That's pretty good for a bottom of the roster player.

Is he capable of being our #8 LB (and #3 ILB) with we only keep 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back