PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi and Steve Smith named Comeback Players of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
dryheat44 said:
No, they just got an even number of votes.

Hmmm...that's odd. Bruschi has a stroke and Smith has a broken leg. Seems to me that the stroke would be much more career threatening.

huskeralk said:
Hmmm...that's odd. Bruschi has a stroke and Smith has a broken leg. Seems to me that the stroke would be much more career threatening.
Yeah, but if you're not careful, logic may rear it's ugly head, and then what do you do if you're a sports writer?

huskeralk said:
Smith has been amazing this year, I have no problem with this. Bruschi came from a far tougher "injury" but Smith came back at a nutty level.

BelichickFan said:
Smith has been amazing this year, I have no problem with this. Bruschi came from a far tougher "injury" but Smith came back at a nutty level.

But still, it's just a broken leg. It would have been much more of a shock if he came back this season and totally sucked. Players break bones all of the time and come back 100%. Strokes? Not so much.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Yeah, but if you're not careful, logic may rear it's ugly head, and then what do you do if you're a sports writer?
:rofl:

10 characters

T-ShirtDynasty said:

Since there are 50 AP Voters, apparently a number of them faced such a connundrum. 18 (do you believe that) voted for Tedy. 18 voted for the player with the broken leg. The really mind numbing one is 6 of these geniuses voted for Mark Brunell's valient battle to return from...................

yup, the dreaded suckitude. As I said in an earlier thread, Drew had been the pre season front runner to sew up that voting block.

And sportsmedia say fans are idiots.....

I was actually surprised Bruschi got the award at all, I had assumed the fact he was only out 6 games and only back for 10 and came back the same season as the reason he was out would make him ineligible.

Bruschi's situation is as far as I know unprecedented, he doesn't fit the normal "comeback player of the year" mold and apparently a lot of writers thought the same way as I did. And the way they have set up the award it's perfectly legitimate to vote for a player who simply came back from being benched.

Also, half the writers probably cover the NFC normally and have an inherent NFC bias.

MoLewisrocks said:
Since there are 50 AP Voters, apparently a number of them faced such a connundrum. 18 (do you believe that) voted for Tedy. 18 voted for the player with the broken leg. The really mind numbing one is 6 of these geniuses voted for Mark Brunell's valient battle to return from...................

yup, the dreaded suckitude. As I said in an earlier thread, Drew had been the pre season front runner to sew up that voting block.

And sportsmedia say fans are idiots.....
Hey, Brunell had a great year after a terrible one. Seems like CPOY-material to me. Mentioning Bruschi is what most would call a "feel-good" award. He didn't really do much at all after coming back from a minor stroke. Vrabel is, and always has been, the best LB on the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes