PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi analysis - Denver loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teams have hundreds of plays, including trick plays. This notion that you don't, or shouldn't, hold some back for the 'right' time is ridiculous.

Maybe they should use every fake punt in their arsenal over the course of the first 4 weeks?

Very interesting stuff. That explains a lot, unfortunately. I guess the team has to just be better prepared for the wildcat stuff going forward.

Off-topic, but why would he need a ghostwriter?? The guy knows the game of football and is very articulate. This is great stuff from him.

so thats what the whole standing up and throwing two fists wide in the air was all about

As a flavor, vanilla gets a bad rep. Vanilla ice cream tastes damn good, people.

Yeah, in fact certain strains of vanilla bean are, in fact, extremely complex and deep ;)

Teams have hundreds of plays, including trick plays. This notion that you don't, or shouldn't, hold some back for the 'right' time is ridiculous.

Maybe they should use every fake punt in their arsenal over the course of the first 4 weeks?

If this team has hundreds of plays 'being hidden' then they are hiding 90% of them right now,this team is predictable on offense after 5 weeks and that IS the problem with the offense at this stage.

If this team has hundreds of plays 'being hidden' then they are hiding 90% of them right now,this team is predictable on offense after 5 weeks and that IS the problem with the offense at this stage.

Every team is "predictable" to the masses if it doesn't crack out gimmick plays game after game. That's because the masses don't actually know what plays were called.

When it comes to critiquing playcalling, one can look to percentages, formations, personnel, etc.... The moment you start with the "predictable" argument without backing it up with explanations and details, you basically become useless in the discussion.

Brady calling his own number for QB sneaks is pretty damned predictable in short yardage plays when the opponent leaves the center uncovered, by the way. I don't hear too many people crying about that.

I still maintain that the Pats are doing on defense this year what they did on offense last year. I think they are delibertly pairing back the schemes for the defense to get more comfortable and will open the playbook in the second half of the season when the defense is completely cohesive.

I never thought about this. Great, interesting point.

Every team is "predictable" to the masses if it doesn't crack out gimmick plays game after game. That's because the masses don't actually know what plays were called.

When it comes to critiquing playcalling, one can look to percentages, formations, personnel, etc.... The moment you start with the "predictable" argument without backing it up with explanations and details, you basically become useless in the discussion.

Brady calling his own number for QB sneaks is pretty damned predictable in short yardage plays when the opponent leaves the center uncovered, by the way. I don't hear too many people crying about that.

Many fans feel an offense is predictable because it runs plays out of the formation they are best run out of.
For example, when we go to the shotgun, we normally pass. While it may be true that this is predictable, it also gives more time to throw. If we use the shotgun on 3rd and 8 does it matter that it was predictable? That one is obvious. However if we spread the field to isolate matchups, THAT is predictable, but also creates a mismatch. By going to the shotgun, we compensate for the predictability.
The alternative is to not spread the field, not create the mismatch.
If we line up in the exact same formation every play, we arent predictable but we are pretty easily defended.

In this division you don't wait to unleash these so called secrets

This is not the AFC West where you only have to worry about San Diego or Denver (whichever of the two you are)- This is a VERY competitive division with 3 teams that have a legit shot to win it and losing a game or even two because of holding back and therefore producing vanilla predictable plays will cost dearly down the line if in fact this idea in here of BB doing this is true.

The Jets and Dolphins are both very capable of winning 11 games,this division is no longer a cakewalk - you play to win now,tomorrow and into december,no time for slowly gelling in the AFC East anymore it will be a dogfight thru the last week of the season just like last year.

Who says anything is being held back?
We are probably playing 'vanilla' because BB feels it gives us the best chance to win.
BB at heart is a conservative coach. All of those people out there that think playing all out blitz defense is trying hard and being conservative equals ambivalence do not understand how we have become the dynasty we are.
Bill Belichick is first and foremost conservative in his approach. Fact is that most very successful coaches also are. Anyone want to make the short list of wildly aggressive coaches who have won SBs?
I'll start the conservative one
Chuck Noll
Vince Lombardi
Bill Walsh
Tom Landry
Bill Belichick
Bill Parcells
Don Shula
I think thats a good start.

I still maintain that the Pats are doing on defense this year what they did on offense last year. I think they are delibertly pairing back the schemes for the defense to get more comfortable and will open the playbook in the second half of the season when the defense is completely cohesive.

How much more vanilla is this year's defense than last year's defense (that's defense, not offense)? I seriously can't remember, but I've been dissatisfied with the play calling for some time now. I feel like Pees* was as conservative last year, when we had a bunch of (old, fat, slow) vets, as he is this year.

* Placeholder for whoever develops the schemes and makes the calls.

I could be wrong, but just based on my observations over the years, I think BB implements some of the more exotic elements of the D during the bye week. I say this because (1) it makes sense and (2) they really seem to bring the pressure after the bye week.

There's no way he holds back just for the hell of it. I think they're not showing the exotic stuff because it hasn't been implemented yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back