Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bruce Bartlett, a former Reagan Advisor, says Bush Bankrupting America

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Apr 18, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +379 / 11 / -28

Another George Bush detractor, this time an aide to Ronald Reagan..

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Former_Reagan_Advisor_angry_Bush_bankrupted_0418.html

Conservative economist Bruce Bartlett accused President Bush of "bankrupting" America and betraying the Reagan legacy in an interview on PBS's Tavis Smiley Show on Tuesday.

A domestic policy adviser to President Ronald Reagan and a treasury official under President George H.W. Bush, Bartlett assailed Bush's "big government conservatism" and said he was surprised at Bush's policies, despite his campaign pledge to be a "compassionate conservative."

"In 2000 I thought that was election year rhetoric," said Bartlett. "I didn't think it meant anything. I learned the hard way as a lot of us did what he really meant it when he talked about compassionate conservatism."

When asked how the current President Bush compared to his father, Bartlett responded, "If I didn't know with a certainty they were related, I wouldn't think that they were."

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I think we all knew that when he catered to the retirees with that absurd prescription drug crap. That's why we have erectile dysfunction and urinary flow problem commercials on TV all the time - aimed at the old people for the rest of us to pay for. That was the end of the line with Bush for me.

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Oh sure...It's someone else's problem until it hits YOU! :eek:
    I can think of few things more terrifying than ED. I think we should have a "Manhattan Project" for ED cures before I need one. It's a matter of national security.

Seriously though, I agree with you about those drug ads and how we pay for them while we ignore much more serious medical issues like getting drugs in our kids if they act up in school. Where's the right wing of politicians on this issue? How can the de-masculization of our boys be in the interests of "conservatives" or anyone else for that matter? Meanwhile, our adults become morbidly obese, especially in the south, and we cease normal social activity and community.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -13

You won't find many conservatives disagreeing with the proposition that Bush has spent far to much. Conservatives don't reflexivly support politicans on the basis of party affiliation we leave that to the libs.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I know it sounds stupid but whether it's E.D., Urinary flow, Cholesterol, whatever, we shouldn't have commercials causing people to self diagnose then doctor shop. It leads not just to us paying for uneeded drugs but to less healthy people because they're taking drugs they don't need or thinking drugs can bail them out.

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Unfortunately, most people will do as they're told in most aspects of their lives and it's getting worse. People, for the most part, are so susceptible to advertisements that I have to agree with you on all your points in this matter.

I can tell you from experience that the older I get (not bragging, just observing), having kids, and researching the hell out of every medical problem my family encounters, that doctors coming up today are less talented, innovative, skilled, and knowledgeable than I am lots of times. They are overburdened with legal, insurance, and administrative aspects of "doctoring" and are hamstrung by modern hospital protocols and insurance rules. I've even noticed it about the vet's office. They've also become the street-level dealers of these new drugs for new ailments the last 10 or 15 years and will be bearing a part of the responsibility when it's learned that the overdosing of America has resulted in more illness than remedies.

...and they still haven't cured ANYTHING since polio!

7. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Gee...I wonder what meteor hit Bartlett for him to come to that extremist conclusion??

Wow, you mean Bush isn't an old school conservative? Theres news folks!!:bricks:

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

GW is the furthest thing from a fiscal conservative. He's shattered the threshhold for government spending. What's sad is, the next guy in line will be able to spend 5-10% more than he has, and no one will realize it. :mad:

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

The drug thing for kids seriously disturbs me. I used to have a link to this great article that was basically an interview with this shrink who was in charge of drugging kids up on Ritilin (sp). Anyhow, she basically said throughout the article that she had no clue about what the ramifications were going to be when these kids grew up, but they were drugging htem anyway. Boggles the mind.

10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -13

Bartlett is saying that Bush isn't a fiscal conservative. Do you disagree?