Welcome to PatsFans.com

Browns looking at Givens

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by drew4008, Mar 3, 2006.

1. drew4008

drew4008 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

AP reports WR David Givens is high on the team's list. Coach Romeo Crennel knows Givens, and the team thinks his Super Bowl experience will help WR Braylon Edwards and TE Kellen Winslow. Givens could be in Cleveland for a visit very soon -- though the Browns would have to convince Givens he'd be wise to join a team as the No. 2 receiver opposite Edwards. What's most convincing is usually money, and the Browns have the room and money to spend. "I do think we need a veteran wide receiver,'' GM Phil Savage said. "At the same time there's no guarantee that we'll be able to get one.''

2. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yes I can see them going after Givens like they did Joe Andruzzi.

3. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I saw that today on the NFLfans.com site.

It's show me the money time for David. I hope that we can keep him but I doubt if we do.

He's earned himself a big payday by the hard work and class he has shown us for the past 4 years.

4. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -3

Guys LOVE playing for Romeo - and they've got much more cash to spend than we do.

5. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

I love Romeo and wish him the best - but - it remains to be seen if he can build a winner over there. No excuses after this year, he has a nucleous and about 30MM to spend. DGiv would be wise to stay right here as a solid #2 with Mr Brady as career insurance, but, cannot fault him for cashing in.

(sung to Pink Floyd)
    Ayo , Romeo - leave our Pats alone.

6. Dragda

Dragda Yes, it's really me... PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

Givens is over-rated

Yeah, Frank, I want to see RAC succeed as well. But Givens really isn't very good. He has marginal hands, he runs only a few routes well, and isn't the fastest guy out there. He will fail to make a significant impact whereever he goes. If people are content to get an over-acheiver type and good downfield blocker--he's your guy. If someone offers him over 1 million a year plus a bonus, they are stupid. We all know there are a lot of stupid teams out there.

7. Brady'sButtBoy

Brady'sButtBoy 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +34 / 4 / -1

#12 Jersey

Dragda got a bit more acerbic than I was going to be but I agree with his premise. The Browns need home run hitters, not high effort, limited ability guys like Givens, if they want to get over the hump. It would be one thing if they meant to sign DG for 'classy veteran' money but sending big bucks his way will only sentence the Browns to more mediocrity.

8. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +447 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

What a difference a year makes. Last year Givens was the #2 receiver on the best and deepest receiving corps in the NFL. Now he is not that good and has limited ability. ;)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  9. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Brady has the ability to make people look better than they really are.

Just look at David Patten.

Givens would be wise to stay put in Foxboro.

10. hwc

hwc 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +389 / 41 / -21

I think Givens is what he is. A solid, hard-working #2 receiver.

Any team, including the Pats, would be smart to sign him for solid #2 money. A team would probably not be smart to sign him to solid #1 money.

11. stinkypete

stinkypete In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Let's rephrase what we're saying about Givens. He's underrated as a physical receiver, and his hands are very good (a cold hard football facts story on this last year showed that only Branch dropped a lower percentage of his passes last year). What he isn't, is a big play receiver you can build an offense around. He has average speed and isn't very quick. Sometimes his routes are off.

A receiver weak team like San Francisco, Kansas City or Philly would be making a terrible mistake by spending big money on Givens. A team with an established go-to threat and some depth, though, could really benifit by what Givens brings to the table.

I expect Carolina to make a big push for him. Denver could get involved if they fail with T.O., and he'd fill a hige need in Houston. I wouldn't be shocked even if Pittsburgh considers him as a low cost alternative to Randel El.

As for Cleveland, it depends on how Edwards and Winslow develop. If it comes together, Givens presence as a down field blocker and posession receiver could halp make the offense explosive. If Winslow never grows up and Edwards busts, than the move could blow up in there faces.

It's probably worth the risk.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  12. Brady'sButtBoy

Brady'sButtBoy 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +34 / 4 / -1

#12 Jersey

That's some sharp analysis StinkyPete. Your Carolina idea makes perfect sense: paying Givens some fairly decent dough to muscle hard over the middle would be an awesome counterpart to Steve Smith.

At the same time your insight reinforces that Givens is a solid number two and raises doubts about who exactly are the teams rumored to be ready to drop a major dime on DG.

13. jczxohn1

jczxohn1 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Sounds like the best BB can do is drive up D-Giv's price and make sure no one gets him too cheap.

14. flutie2phelan

flutie2phelan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Right ON!

L O L.
    Really :)

15. Dragda

Dragda Yes, it's really me... PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

But Givens hasn't been all that effective in those over the middle routes. He doesn't get the seperation he needs there. His bread and butter is the out. That's all Brady's arm.

16. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

17. BionicPatriot

BionicPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I was thinking about that a few days ago and it would make sense. Give Frye a good, experienced target thats not old at all. Plus, the Browns have plenty of cash to spend on Givens. I bet thats where he lands.