PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns get their Lombardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Browns hired Michael Lombardi as GM.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Update: Michael Lombardi's title in Cleveland will be VP player personnel.

Guess the reports were half true. Also ... how did NFLN get beat on this story?

Good for him. Lombardi is a good guy who has tremendous respect for Belichick and the Patriots.

Lombardi also talks too much. The guy never takes a breath. The good thing about that was when he was on Dennis and Callahan, John Dennis couldn't get a word in to ask one of his self-righteous, see-how-smart-I-am, questions that included the answers. Lombardi would just start talking from the moment he was introduced until the commercial break. They'll all go nuts in Cleveland with him running the show.

The other good thing about this is that the Browns, who are the verge of having a good team, will draft well and get some interesting free agents to torment the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals in the near future.

While the AFC East continues to look like Belichick in Lilliput, the AFC North will be a monster that will take a toll on each of its members.

I don't know why having no backup QB, and no provision for a follow on for 35 going on 36 year old, Tom Brady is so attractive to some who call themselves Patriots fans.:eek::snob:

I don't know why having no backup QB, and no provision for a follow on for 35 going on 36 year old, Tom Brady is so attractive to some who call themselves Patriots fans.:eek::snob:

Mallett sucks, and we can probabaly hire Hoyer or Cassell to back up TFB until we draft McCarron next year.

Flacco's success this off season has to help Mallett's trade value, they're awfully similar QB.

As I said a month or so ago, I want either the Browns' #1 in 2014 or their #3 in 2013 and their #2 in 2014. If not, I would keep Mallett. In this year or unsure QB in the draft he has to have value after two years of causing not a bit of trouble (which was his main negative coming out).

Mallett - 6' 6", 245 lbs, 24 yr old
NFL Career: 1-4, 17 yd, 0 TD, 1 INT, rating 5.2

FLacco - 6' 6", 245 lbs, 28 yr old
NFL Career:1,507-2,489, 17,633 yds, 102 TD, 56 INT, 48 Fumble, Rating 86.3

Agree w/ your conclusion to keep Mallett around; not sure other than ht-wt how they are SIMILAR

Mallett doesn't suck. But I'm more than happy to ship him elsewhere, bring a journeyman QB and a rookie into camp, in exchange for anything that smells like the value of a 2nd round pick or better. To me he's a roster luxury that we should monetize. Might perhaps weaken our depth at QB, but turning that into a starting WR, S or elite OG would be good for the roster overall.

I'd trade Mallett in a heartbeat for a second round pick. For a first round pick, I'd put a bow on him and express mail him to the buyer.

I'm particularly high on Mallett and believe he could have a very bright future in the NFL. That said, this team is in win now mode and I like the draft flexibility to pick whoever BB realistically wants. The same goes for trade acquisitions utilizing draft choices.

I'd trade Mallett in a heartbeat for a second round pick. For a first round pick, I'd put a bow on him and express mail him to the buyer.

Thats pretty much all there is to say.

Agree w/ your conclusion to keep Mallett around; not sure other than ht-wt how they are SIMILAR
Obviously their numbers aren't. But their games are. Rocket arms, excellent downfield passers, pocket passers, limited mobility but can throw respectably on the run.

1 ~ Gosh, do you suppose that those'f us who're advocating trading Mallett are also in favor of drafting or acquiring a cerebral QB or two, thus obliterating your childish assumption that we find having no backup QB "attractive"?? :rolleyes:

2 ~ Mallett sucks. Said so before we drafted'm, and've said so 8000 times since, despite the eternal wailing of the In Bill We Trust Brigade: I worship Mad Bill, but recognize that he's human and makes mistakes.

3 ~ Brady's reasonable Trajectory, based on Historical Precedent and the Magnificent Obsession that consumes Brady, himself, is 3 to 5 additional years as our Starter, with possible Bonus Years, due to the Miracles of Modern Medicine and of course to the fanatical passion and dedication of Brady, himself. So throwing oneself into a frothing, raging, snot-bubbling panic at the Specter of our replacing a young QuarterBack who's selection was clearly more about Trade Bait than Becoming The Heir Apparent ~ and childishly attacking the Fidelity of those of us who have the capacity to see this ~ is a bit off the mark, I would say.
spock.gif

4 ~ And, say: Aren't you the guy who wanted us to trade up and snatch the immortal Jake Locker???
39.gif
icon_lol.gif

Mallett for Phil Taylor and a 2014 2nd rounder.

Bedard tweeted this Jim Nantz interview out from yesterday on 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland.
Basically Nantz, who is friends with Lombardi, feels strongly that the Browns have made great hires, they will be much improved, that Lombardi doesn't deserve criticism for his previous time with the Browns/was back stabbed by people in the media and in the NFL. Nantz also holds BB and Lombardi as the top two football people in the game today, and that BB said that Lombardi is one of the best talent evaluators he's worked with.

https://twitter.com/GregABedard/status/292629429971193856

Jim Nantz Says Fans Don’t Really Know Lombardi « CBS Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill