PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns' Barkevious Mingo traded to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonathan Cooper(#5) and now Mingo(#6)... I thought that BB was the worsest evaluator of talent.
I think this is when BB does his best work, trading for or signing players to complete the team.

Jonathan Cooper(#5) and now Mingo(#6)... I thought that BB was the worsest evaluator of talent.

BB's very good at taking cast offs from other teams and making them productive. A few times he struck out with guys like haynesworth and ocho cinco but for the most part he's great at it. Akeem ayers comes to mind.

Edit: the patriots have the best pro-scouting department in the nfl. By that i mean they are great at evaluating talent that is currently on another nfl team. When someone they like on another club is in the dog house, they swoop in with a low price.

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to see how really good players get disallusioned at places like Cleveland then play great somewhere else.

Seems like Shea McClellin isn't working out so well as the 3rd LB. Ninko was getting more reps at this position than Shea, most likely out of necessity. Can't fault Ninko or the coaching staff for flexing his position versatility, but its hard to imagine him dropping back into coverage effectively. Plus, the injuries to him and Freeney might be lingering longer than expected.

McClellin played a lot, and played well, in the first preseason game. No idea of what his injury might be, but I doubt this move is because of McClellin's performance.

Every time hahaha

Mingo is not a sure thing to make the roster and even less to produce something here. He was very lackluster with Cleveland, i think he has less than 10 sacks in 3 years.

I know: BB is a genius. But it's not uncommon for him to mistakenly evaluate a player. Let's pump the brakes for a second here...

The Worst Off-Season in the Tom Brady Era just became even worse.

This clown car of a FO just literally threw away a draft pick for useless, rancid garbage.

Meanwhile, we still have the Worst Offensive Line AND the Worst RBs in the entire feckin league.

Belichick the GM is a complete, total Failure.

Barkevious Feckin Mingo?!? For a 5th?!? Are you feckin shytting me?!?

What the hell, Bill would've wasted that 5th-rounder anyway.

That same joke grows rancid over time. Some people can come to think you actually mean it...

Every time hahaha

Mingo is not a sure thing to make the roster and even less to produce something here. He was very lackluster with Cleveland, i think he has less than 10 sacks in 3 years.

I know: BB is a genius. But it's not uncommon for him to mistakenly evaluate a player. Let's pump the brakes for a second here...
Some of the comments are just head scratching... YES HE'S A LOCK! Patriots won't use a 5 round pick and 2mill in cap space and then bye bye :rolleyes:

Every time hahaha

Yeah and we don't jack squat behind Collins and Hightower...Mingo couldn't be any worse than any Back-up LB on our current roster I love the move. Remember too kid's coming from a team who has a dysfunctional front office one that changes philosophy and Coaches on a whim it's the Cleveland Browns we are talking about here. Lets see Mingo in much stable environment before we judge he was a Top 10 pick.

I don't get the "he only had x amount of sacks" argument

Again, the only year Mingo was an outright pass rusher was his rookie season. The last 2 seasons they had him covering. Think it's a bit unfair to bring up sack numbers acting like he had 700+ snaps as a pass rusher each year and only had 10 total sacks.

It's like saying Collins only has 9.5 sacks in his 3 seasons. Ya because he isn't being played as an edge rusher.

Last edited:
Imagine if BB Coaches up Mingo to be a poor mans Jamie Collins...would make the transition from Collins alot easier something to think about...now ducks out of the way.:)

Every time hahaha

He has the talent..no question..he just needs to put it together and sometimes a players needs a new home to bring it out..aka Moss and a lot of other players in the NFL. Of course there is excitement .

Some of the comments are just head scratching... YES HE'S A LOCK! Patriots won't use a 5 round pick and 2mill in cap space and then bye bye :rolleyes:

We are not responsible for his roster bonus...only his $675k salary.

"2 sources have told me that Mingo's roster bonus was due the 3rd day of the training camp. Therefore, Pats are not responsible for paying it"

The good thing about Mingo is that by all accounts he's a hard worker, team player, willing to play special teams, and move around so he can contribute. Attitude and effort weren't the problem. Hopefully the Patriots can squeeze the talent out of him by putting him in a role to succeed, because God knows the Browns can't do that for anyone. I'm not expecting much but this isn't like Jonathan Sullivan or other 1st round bust acquisitions who busted due to attitude.

The good thing about Mingo is that by all accounts he's a hard worker, team player, willing to play special teams, and move around so he can contribute. Attitude and effort weren't the problem. Hopefully the Patriots can squeeze the talent out of him by putting him in a role to succeed, because God knows the Browns can't do that for anyone. I'm not expecting much but this isn't like Jonathan Sullivan or other 1st round bust acquisitions who busted due to attitude.

One could argue that Cooper, drafted just before him, fits a similar profile. Someone that would seem to have plenty of natural talent that was drafted near the top of the draft, seems to have fairly good attitude, but for some reason just hasn't put it together on the NFL level (although you can more clearly point to injuries as being the problem with Cooper). I think BB figures, the natural talent was there, why not roll the dice and see if he can coach them up and turn them into productive players for NE?

At worst if he sucks they'll bury him like they did with Bostic (who was also traded for a 5th)

here's an interesting story about mingo's weight gain during the offseason. he moved in with a former ms. olympia to train.

Cleveland Browns' beefed-up Barkevious Mingo is hungry for success, about 6,000-calories-a-day hungry

The Browns listed Mingo at 240 pounds last season, but he played considerably lighter. After a rookie season that started brightly – three sacks in his first three games – some assumed he would report to Berea considerably bigger in 2014.

The club changed coaching staffs after Mingo's first year, however, and the one led by Mike Pettine had different plans for him, Roberts said. The Browns used him more as a coverage linebacker, asking him to sacrifice some of his pass-rush chances. Mingo gutted his way through a year that saw him suffer a shoulder injury requiring offseason surgery.

Roberts said the staff never asked him to put on weight, preferring to utilize his quickness in tracking tight ends and running backs in coverage.

"They didn't want size on him," the agent said.

Gates, 53, didn't want Mingo living out of a hotel. So she moved him into her house, where he did everything from train to help her grandchildren with their homework. She prepared all his meals and oversaw his two workouts per day – one cardio, one weight training.

Some NFL players might feel awkward taking direction from a jacked-up granny. Not Mingo.

"He's a very easy-going person," said Gates, who runs Strictly Fitness. "He made it work. He ate what he was supposed to eat. He made my job very easy."

Mingo arrived in Dallas on Feb. 22 weighing 230 pounds and left on March 29 weighing 251.4 pounds, Gates said. The trainer, who works with several NFL players, took a picture of Mingo on the scale and sent it to Roberts.

"When I saw it, I almost had a heart attack," the colorful agent said. "I couldn't believe the difference."

i like the story, but hopefully all of that extra weight doesn't slow him down too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes