PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browner's penalty negating McCourty TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suddenly I feel like I'm in a Monty Python sketch.
Took me a while to find the link

But yes, actually he did. He tried to imply that the face mask grazing may have been something but fell short of saying so since it was clearly not the point of impact.
I don't know what that is, but it is not the transcript of Blandino's comments, it also says he hit him in the facemask.

His words:

"I think the first problem [was that ] we announced helmet-to-helmet and this is not a helmet-to-helmet hit. That's incorrect.

"When you watch the play, Browner actually does a good job trying to lead with the shoulder and get his head to the side. You can see his head is to the side and he does lead with the shoulder.

"The rule does protect the receiver who is trying to catch a pass; it does protect him from hits with the shoulder and the forearm to the head and neck area. When you watch this replay coming up, you can see there is some initial contact to the facemask ... That's really where the foul is.

"This is close. It's a forcible hit. Is the contact, is that force to the head, or is it to the body? It is a very close play. But it's not a helmet-to-helmet hit and I think that's what confused a lot of people."

He states contact is to the facemask. The uncertainty is where the 'force' is delivered, but the rule does not state that this has anything to do with the rule. In fact it states that it does not matter if the initial point of contact is elsewhere, that a hit to the head or neck area is still a foul.

like I said, not a ringing endorsement......

vince-wilfork-hit.gif
Not according to your definition. By your definition he could have chosen to not catch the pass and avoid the tackler instead. It was his CHOICE to get hit.

like I said, not a ringing endorsement......
Contact to the facemask is pretty clear.
The facemask is obviously in the head and neck area, is it not? Or was he wearing his around his ankles?

Not according to your definition. By your definition he could have chosen to not catch the pass and avoid the tackler instead. It was his CHOICE to get hit.

yeah.......cuz he took like 4 steps from the moment he touched the ball.......

you're so much fun, but this is boring me and I have to go home

him continuing his effort to catch the ball does not make him incapable of avoiding......completely separate.

hey look!!! neck area!!! and he led with the helmet!!! or was it his shoulder?
wilfork-hit-9-30-121.gif
Are you blind. Wilfork didn't even hit the receiver close to the neck area.

Contact to the facemask is pretty clear.
The facemask is obviously in the head and neck area, is it not? Or was he wearing his around his ankles?

maybe......kind of........sort of.....but not sure

yes he did......his helmet was certainly in the neck area
Then you now concede that Browner hit Green in the neck area, because Wilforks hit was below the shoulder pads, and Browners was above.
I think you are wrong about how far the neck area extends, but your argument is now like saying the eyes are in the mouth area, but the nose is not.

yeah.......cuz he took like 4 steps from the moment he touched the ball.......

you're so much fun, but this is boring me and I have to go home
It doesn't matter, he could have avoided the hit because the ball is not a priority, he has a choice between the ball and avoiding the hit. That is what you have said for 2 days.

I can never bring myself to participate in threads like these, but I'm glad they exist.

OK, but what I quoted was a transcript of what he said, not a synopsis, and he did not say that.
Just trying to be clear.

Even in what you posted, Blandino never says there was *any* contact with the neck. Grazed the facemask, yes, but neck, no. He says it was unclear at full speed whether the neck or body was hit and then later says at slow speed you can tell the difference between a neck and body hit, while still giving no answer. If there had been neck contact, he'd have said so. He carefully sidestepped saying that the call was incorrect, because he can't say that on national television. You have to be able to read between the lines. He would never, ever publicly admit this was a bad call. This is the closest you'll get from him.

I still say the real problem is in the rule book. If this stuff was laid out more clearly, everyone would be on the same page. But the NFL probably prefers this so that they can wiggle out from under bad calls with misinformation and vague rules.

With that, I'm out. I'm not about to join this infinite loop.

I can never bring myself to participate in threads like these, but I'm glad they exist.

These threads really go a long way in demonstrating whose stream of piss is thicker and more confident.

These threads really go a long way in demonstrating whose stream of piss is thicker and more confident.

lol, I'm drawn to it not so much for the content but to see who gets the last word or who just gives up.

Reminds me of my dogs when I give them each a big ole tasty bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back