PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos sign LaMont Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Broncos sign LaMont Jordan

bk-happytrails.JPG

Yeah but with Gaffney and Paxton, we couldn't sign him because of the tight cap space, and he knew it and took advantage of it. Ok, you could call it smart, but i find it a little bit irritating

Na, I'm not buying it. We moved money around in Randy's contract to make room for Freddy.

Don't be irritated, if Bill wanted Jabar and Paxton to be Patriots they would be - Or you can say if Jabar and Lonnie were willing to get paid less than Denver was going to give them, they would be Patriots.

Bill has a system of value, don't like it - Talk with Mr. Belichick.

Cutler is getting pissed. thats a coach and 3 players who think Cassel is better.

Denver and KC are competing to be Patriots west.

And that division will be better for it.

great signing. if he stays healthy he may be the #1 fantasy back next year

A lot of comedy right there, considering a) he definitely won't stay healthy, and b) Shanahan is out, McDaniels is in, so the running game should be different than the same one that produced out-of-nowhere fantasy studs like Mike Anderson and Reuben Droughns.

We weren't going to bring him back anyways (see Taylor signing) so who cares?

Paxton, maybe, but with Gaffney he just offered way too much money ($10M/4 yrs, v. the $1.2M/1 yr the Pats gave him in 2008) for the Pats to match. OTOH, it might also have been too much, period, for him; only time will tell.

I don't know what Gaffney was offered by other teams, but somehow I think he'd have signed with the Pats if a) we hadn't been handcuffed at the time by Cassel's potential cap hit, and b) McDaniels wasn't in Denver and [like Pioli] more comfortable paying a little extra to bring in guys he's familiar with.

Really hard to make a case that Jordan would have been more valuable to us than Fred Taylor.

Good signing by the Donkeys. He'll make a nice addition to the RB stable they are building over in Denver. If healthy, he is still starting RB caliber.

Good signing by the Donkeys. He'll make a nice addition to the RB stable they are building over in Denver. If healthy, he is still starting RB caliber.

Ditto...he'll do pretty good in Denver. He gets to play the Raiders twice so that will get him at least 250 yards rushing for the season.

We weren't going to bring him back anyways (see Taylor signing) so who cares?

Just about right. This generates no real emotion in me one way of the other. Wish him well and all, but I won't miss him much either.

And that division will be better for it.

O.K, Lets throw this one up for comment. The Pats did not get Taylor to be fourth string. I am not buying that we need Maroney and he is going to get another chance. Maroney's contract is worth $2.5M. Mc Daniels is still shopping for RB's. He is also looking to move TE Tony Scheffler. Well Watson can't catch but is actually becoming a better blocker. Barker is decent but slower and a good blocker as well. Dave Thomas is buried on the depth chat and hasn't produced. How about this? Maroney and Thomas for TE Tony Scheffler and a second. Thomas is the better blocker of the two. Graham is getting older and we need a TE who can at least stretch it up the seem that had Watson open on many occasions but we all held our breath.

If frees CAP and gets a young TE with receiving talent that surpasses the other two. I know we just got Baker but we do usually need three TEs on the roster.

Hence another two players that McD knows and more Pats west?
DW Toys

Last edited:

O.K, Lets throw this one up for comment. The Pats did not get Taylor to be fourth string. I am not buying that we need Maroney and he is going to get another chance. Maroney's contract is worth $2.5M. Mc Daniels is still shopping for RB's. He is also looking to move TE Tony Scheffler. Well Watson can't catch but is actually becoming a better blocker. Barker is decent but slower and a good blocker as well. Dave Thomas is buried on the depth chat and hasn't produced. How about this? Maroney and Thomas for TE Tony Scheffler and a second. Thomas is the better blocker of the two. Graham is getting older and we need a TE who can at least stretch it up the seem that had Watson open on many occasions but we all held our breath.

If frees CAP and gets a young TE with receiving talent that surpasses the other two. I know we just got Baker but we do usually need three TEs on the roster.

DW Toys

I'm using The Chad Jackson Experience as a barometer here (In regards to high BB Draft Picks), so with that I don't think Bill will let Maroney go..........yet.

Next year, if he can't work up nice contributing game skills - He's toast, but I think he's got another year.

As long as he doesn't pull a hang nail, he should do great.

I know Jordan was probably not coming back anyway, but i now do feel a certain unclassiness on the side of Mc Daniels. He's signing al our players away. In my opinion that's not the way things should go. All of our players that are going away go to the Broncos.

It's not he did what Mangini did when he was recruiting Matt Chatham before Mangini even accepted the Jets job. The Pats were pretty clear that they weren't going to resign Jordan.

It's not like Belichick didn't sign players from the Jets when he got here (Phifer, Hamilton, Cox, etc.).

McDaniels respected the unwritten rule about not taking coaches. As long as McDaniels (well, Brian Xander really) didn't undermine Belichick's ability to sign a guy by offering a contract specifically so the Pats couldn't match assuming they had an opportunity and gave Belichick ample opportuntity to resign the players before he went after him, I see nothing wrong with him going after former Patriots players.

It is safe to assume that they didn't want Jordan back after signing Taylor, but for all we know Belichick told McDaniels that he had no intention of resigning Gaffney and/or Paxton.

DW Toys

Cutting or trading Maroney would cost the Pats an additional $650k of cap space. He has a $2.1 million cap hit now, but his cap hit INCREASES to $2.75 million if cut or traded. Because of the uncapped year, there is no benefit in cutting Maroney and in fact, there is a cost to it. Since it will cost the Pats to cut Maroney, he will definitely be on the 2009 roster unless the Pats absolutely have to have a roster spot.

Last edited:

I'm using The Chad Jackson Experience as a barometer here (In regards to high BB Draft Picks), so with that I don't think Bill will let Maroney go..........yet.

Next year, if he can't work up nice contributing game skills - He's toast, but I think he's got another year.

Don't even need the Chad Jackson experience as a barometer. When it costs more to cut a player than keep him, he has to have absolutely no value to the team and a detriment to the team by keeping him (lockerroom cancer for example). I don't see Maroney in that category.

DW Toys

What someone else just said; financially, makes no sense to cut Maroney. If healthy, he is a solid back with breakaway speed. Everyone just needs to adjust their expectations that he is not going to be a bellwether franchise RB and accept that he wasn't worth a first round pick. However, that doesn't make him completely worthless. (Tough concept for a lot of posters on here to grasp, I know.)

As far as the TE situation, unfortunately Scheffler is actually just as if not more brittle than Maroney & Thomas, so I'm not sure this is an upgrade (though the second would be nice)

And frankly, while the TE spot could be upgraded, it's not like it's a focal point of the offense so not sure it's a priority. (Though it would be great to have a guy with dependable hands, which I thought was what Thomas was for ...)

AFC West

Jabar Gaffney
Josh McDaniels
LaMont Jordan
Lonie Paxton
Matt Cassel
Mike Vrabel
Scott Pioli

McDaniels is personally making sure that the Pats get Comp picks in the 2010 draft. As of today the Pats have not signed any Free Agents that would count towards off-setting free agent lossess (Taylor, Baker, & TBC were all cut by their old teams, so they do not count in the Comp fomula). McDaniels has singed Gaffney, Paxton (yes, he signed our long snapper to a big enough contract that the Pats will get a Comp pick for him), and Jordon. Of course it is still early in free agency, but as of today, the Pats would get most likely 3 (late rounds) comp picks thanks for McDaniels.

This is a good signing for the Broncos. However, I don't think it matters much because McDaniels is getting killed in Denver. Allot of unhappy fans and media types, where the hell is John Elway and his trusty steed when you need him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back