PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos say they wanted to draft Cobbs originally

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
This is BS, first he was drafted in the 4th round, 2nd Denver took Bell in the 2nd round that same draft. 3rd I have a feeling Cobbs will be good.

Broncos | Team wanted Cobbs in the 2004 NFL Draft
Tue, 9 May 2006 09:42:31 -0700

Andrew Mason, of DenverBroncos.com, reports Denver Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist said the team originally wanted to select Broncos' RB Cedric Cobbs in the third round of the 2004 NFL Draft, but the New England Patriots selected him before the Broncos could. Cobbs' NFL career has come full circle, as the Patriots released him and the Broncos signed him. He's now expecting to compete in training camp for the team's starting running back spot.

I never understood the deal with Cobbs I thought he'd be a great RB. Ran extemelky well in Arkansa when every knew they were running and loaded up the box. Just goes to show how hard it is to guess which RB will make it in the NFL. Probably one of the four first round picks this year will be a bust,

R_T26 said:
This is BS, first he was drafted in the 4th round, 2nd Denver took Bell in the 2nd round that same draft. 3rd I have a feeling Cobbs will be good.

Broncos | Team wanted Cobbs in the 2004 NFL Draft
Tue, 9 May 2006 09:42:31 -0700

Andrew Mason, of DenverBroncos.com, reports Denver Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist said the team originally wanted to select Broncos' RB Cedric Cobbs in the third round of the 2004 NFL Draft, but the New England Patriots selected him before the Broncos could. Cobbs' NFL career has come full circle, as the Patriots released him and the Broncos signed him. He's now expecting to compete in training camp for the team's starting running back spot.

spacecrime said:
I never understood the deal with Cobbs I thought he'd be a great RB. Ran extemelky well in Arkansa when every knew they were running and loaded up the box. Just goes to show how hard it is to guess which RB will make it in the NFL. Probably one of the four first round picks this year will be a bust,

I always thought he was a little bit of a head case. Wasn't really that into football. Said he was looking forward to being an "actor" at one point. Head in the clouds.

I was disappointed too. I remember seeing him run for Arkansas.

I think Cobbs' problems with blitz protections were part of the reason we drafted a rare RB who had a Wunderlich score of 30.

I saw Cobbs in traing camp. He runs straight up and mostly straight ahead. Not good. It was no surprize that he'd be cut once that Coast Guard kid whom I'd unfairly discounted before seeing him perform started to show far better than Cobbsie. In the end both got cut.

PatsWickedPissah said:
I saw Cobbs in traing camp. He runs straight up and mostly straight ahead. Not good. It was no surprize that he'd be cut once that Coast Guard kid whom I'd unfairly discounted before seeing him perform started to show far better than Cobbsie. In the end both got cut.

Kyle Eckel. Navy.

Personally I was rooting for Kory Chapman.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
Kyle Eckel. Navy.

Personally I was rooting for Kory Chapman.

Didn't Kyle Eckel simply change his name to Heath Evans? ;)

Who cares about lazy head case character issues Cobbs. That's why he was still available in the third.

Repeat after me.

Ma ma ma ma Maaarroooooneyy!!!!!!!!

yeah, he was really good in college

PatsWickedPissah said:
he had some off-field issues in college. i was surprised paatriots drafted him. didn't he also have a knee problem, like womack?
IMO he also had some problems adjusting to the requirements of the nfl. in addition, he mighta got homesick. da kid had never really been outa da state, y'know?
not surprised he looks and acts like a different player this time around.
IMO denver has different expectations of its backs. patriot RBs HAVE to be able to go between the tackles, and HAVE to protect the QB. pats don't run sweeps like denver, pats run screen plays and reverses. different for RBs. i'm sure, tho, that brady thanks god for corey dillon's pass blocking. if you've got tivo look back aa6t some of last year's games. then watch faulk. it becomes clear why faulk is a third-down back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back