PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bronco's safety Mike Adams takes a shot at Edelman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from the games that he's missed due to concussion, Welker has been doing it all season as well. You may want to try watching the games without any sort of preconceived bias because Welker's still the shiftier of the two when in the open field. Because of that, defenses still base their game plans heavily both on he and Demaryius Thomas, given the sort of coverages that are thrown their way. There will come a time when Edelman will be the shiftier of the two in the open field, and that time may come soon. But it's not yet.

Just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I know which one I'd rather have with the ball and a guy to beat.

Aside from the games that he's missed due to concussion, Welker has been doing it all season as well. You may want to try watching the games without any sort of preconceived bias because Welker's still the shiftier of the two when in the open field. Because of that, defenses still base their game plans heavily both on he and Demaryius Thomas, given the sort of coverages that are thrown their way. There will come a time when Edelman will be the shiftier of the two in the open field, and that time may come soon. But it's not yet.

that time is here now....edleman is better running with the ball in open field.....i think welker still has an advantage in getting open, mostly because of experience (and well designed Denver pick plays), but Edleman is a better return man right now, and is better running with the ball in space....

I will say I've never seen Edelman draw a PI flag by diving like Welker did last night on the Broncos last TD drive. He looked like Jazz on Fresh Prince getting thrown out of the house by Uncle Phil.

There is absolutely no way that Welker could be the shiftier of the two running with the ball in his arms. Now, if you're talking about route running, and shifting his body as he makes cuts, it's Welker. But running in the open field? Welker is nowhere close to Edelman.

Well guys, its official. Tom, Jules and bb are gonna smash these donkeys. Can't wait for the game.

I will say I've never seen Edelman draw a PI flag by diving like Welker did last night on the Broncos last TD drive. He looked like Jazz on Fresh Prince getting thrown out of the house by Uncle Phil.

jazz-thrown-out-o.gif

Just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I know which one I'd rather have with the ball and a guy to beat.

I'm not going to make the distinction as to what guy I'd rather have, because they're both very different. That said, I would have rather had them both.

that time is here now....edleman is better running with the ball in open field.....i think welker still has an advantage in getting open, mostly because of experience (and well designed Denver pick plays), but Edleman is a better return man right now, and is better running with the ball in space....

There's no doubt that Edelman is now the better return man. He has more natural speed of the two. Welker, however, still has the better quickness and agility in and out of cuts.

There is absolutely no way that Welker could be the shiftier of the two running with the ball in his arms. Now, if you're talking about route running, and shifting his body as he makes cuts, it's Welker. But running in the open field? Welker is nowhere close to Edelman.

It's both. Welker still excels with the ball in his hand in the open field and he's still shifter in both his cuts and while running routes. There's a reason Denver's offense went from a pretty good one to statistically the "best of all time" upon his arrival, and, again, there's a reason why defenses still base a large part of their game plan on him when he's available.

I thought Welker looked pretty tentative yesterday

I'm not sure he's taking a shot at Edelman here. If he is, it's very thinly veiled. Looks like what he's saying is that Welker is the shiftier guy in the open field while Edelman has faster straight line speed. If he is saying that, he would be correct.

I don't think I'd agree that Welker is shiftier. There's a reason Edelman is a great punt returner (but not kick returner) -- he has a mix of shiftiness and speed that makes him very difficult in the open field. (edit: as I now see that others have also said :) )

I'd have no problem with him saying Welker is the better receiver, though, given everything Welker has accomplished.

I don't think anybody can honestly assess who is better in and out of cuts by watching the games. Your both guessing.

Cue the flea flicker or fake end around with Brady going over the top of Mike Adams.

I don't think he meant it as an insult but challenging an NFL player athletically is going to be taken as one. Hope Edelman torches him Sunday.

I'm not sure he's taking a shot at Edelman here. If he is, it's very thinly veiled. Looks like what he's saying is that Welker is the shiftier guy in the open field while Edelman has faster straight line speed. If he is saying that, he would be correct.

I'm sure he believes Welker is the better player and I can't blame him, his track record is much better and it is his teammate, however right now Edelman is the more dangerous player. They are not the same receiver in terms of style but then again most aren't when it comes to Welker, but going into Sunday Edelman is the more dangerous of the two receivers. Welker has clearly been the better player throughout their careers and could still be a real problem come Sunday, but speaking just in the moment I would take Edelman for this game and the rest of the season.*I believe Welker is still really suffering from the concussions and the player i saw Sunday was a shadow of the player I have seen the past 7 years.

Love Welker, but Edelman is healthy and has produced all season, i will give the nod to Edelman even though they aren't the same position.

if this came out of the Patriots camp and say McCourty was talking it would have come out like this.

The guys got what 100 plus receptions and more than 1000 yards. I'd say whatever he was in college, he's tough and obviosuly a strong competitor. Edleman is a legitimate NFL WR and we'll obviously have to account for him.

Welker is a poor mans Edes. :rolleyes:... Seriously tho, let them talk. Just like the Donkey forums talking about how arrogant Pats fans are. While I read those threads, they talk about how the Pats have no chance. Of course accompanied with the "cheatriots, Marsha Brady,...etc". While every thread mentions that the Mules are "the greatest Offense of all time, ever". A very non arrogant bunch over there in jack *** land.

Edelman has been the shiftiest guy on the team since the day he was drafted. If we're adjusting for weight, then a certain inmate might have had him beat.

Welker:

3 cone: 7.09
20 yd shuttle: 4.01

Edelman:

3 cone: 6.62
20 yd shuttle: 3.92

So...

Both Eldeman and Welker are good players just on different teams. Best of luck to both players.

Edelman has been a better open field runner than Welker since the day he arrived. Welker really doesn't try to juke and cut and make people miss much after the catch, he heads upfield.
However, I think the reference is to running the route, not running with the ball, and no one changes direction, speed, cuts on a dime running a route like Welker, even still.

This should help Edelman get fired up. Sometimes I worry he is too docile out there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back