PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos reportedly seek permission to interview Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott Pioli, Josh McDaniels, Jim Schwartz, Kirk Ferentz, Eric Mangini, all looking for GM/coaching spots, with Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage out there. Thomas Dimitroff may be executive of the year (I don't know if that's been announced yet). What do they have in common? They're part of the Bill Belichick tree.

All Things Bill Belichick: Coaching Tree

I never understand why anyone assumes this. It seems to me if his job is offensive coordinator that he needs knowledge of his own offense and the opositions defense. If he can't understand defense than he can't do his job. His forte is coaching offense but I am sure he is more than equiped to coach defense as well (persuamably he is better at offense).

That thinking makes no sense. Then I guess Romeo Crennel could have been an offensive coaching genius for the same inverse rationale, and we should hire Mike Martz for defensive coordinator since he knows the other side of the ball?

That thinking makes no sense. Then I guess Romeo Crennel could have been an offensive coaching genius for the same inverse rationale, and we should hire Mike Martz for defensive coordinator since he knows the other side of the ball?

Brian Billick says "Hello, want to see the Super Bowl ring I won with a stifling defense and middling offense?".

Brian Billick says "Hello, want to see the Super Bowl ring I won with a stifling defense and middling offense?".

The poster claimed that being an offensive coach meant you would automatically have expertise coaching defense.

I fail to see how you bringing up Billick proves this point. The Ravens D had amazing defensive coaching and talent on that squad, none of which were due to Billick actually coaching the defense. Belichick is a defensive mind who coached the highest scoring offense ever, but that doesn't mean Belichick is an offensive genius, he had amazing talent and gave McDaniels a lot of autonomy.

I could just as easily bring up Mike Shanahan and ask why he could never figure out how to his defense the past 8 years.

It's a bad argument the poster is making.

Coaching Genius might be overstating what I said but I think Romeo would be capable of being an offensive coordinator. But when you are a coaching genius on one side of the ball why would you go to the other side so it would never happen.

maverick4 said:
The poster claimed that being an offensive coach meant you would automatically have expertise coaching defense
couldn't have said it better myself. Now maybe assuming a De coordinator could do the job of an offensive coordinator is over stating it a bit but to think that they are not qualified to be a head coach because they have no skills on the opposite side of the ball is ludicrus as they would obviously have expertise on both sides of the ball as they are in direct oposition of eachother and in order to make one work you have to be able to understand how the other is attacking you.

Last edited:
You could be onto something here, we should do that for baseball too. Hitting coaches should also teach pitching, since hey, their expertise is in hitting balls thrown by pitchers.

per rotoworld, sorry no link seen it on my iphone.

Also on there in another story where Iowa HC Kirk Ferentz who is a close friend of Pioli says he doesnt believe its a lock Pioli will leave the Pats.

Go check it out...

This is bizarre......Let me get this straight.....they just dumped a great, veteran coach.....the BEST coach the Donks have ever had.....that coached them to TWO SB'S and how many playoff games......and are now interested in a guy who is still really young and has NEVER been a head coach ANYWHERE before.....and is still pretty green and questionable as an OC? Not sure I get this one..............

maverick, you said that McDaniels doesn't know squat besides offense. By this thinking, you would never hire a coordinator.

maverick, you said that McDaniels doesn't know squat besides offense. By this thinking, you would never hire a coordinator.

Hiring a coordinator is not the issue. Saying an offensive guy would be competent drafting and coaching a defense is also not a strong argument.

But as I said in my other post, the main issue is that he is ONLY THIRTY TWO years old. Other coordinators paid their dues as positional coaches of multiple spots, before moving up. You can't just pick up that valuable experience and those perspectives that typically take 20 years, in 6 years total.

Hiring a coordinator is not the issue. Saying an offensive guy would be competent drafting and coaching a defense is also not a strong argument.

But as I said in my other post, the main issue is that he is ONLY THIRTY TWO years old. Other coordinators paid their dues as positional coaches of multiple spots, before moving up. You can't just pick up that valuable experience and those perspectives that typically take 20 years, in 6 years total.

The second part maybe true. But how many coordinators spend significant time on both sides of the ball? I don't know the answer to that, but I'm sure it's not a huge number.

You do have to have a strong base knowledge of defense to coach offense though, stronger than I think you give credit for. Besides, you go bring in a quality defensive coordinator, I think it could work under the right circumstances.

McDaniels is only 32 years old, the same age as Tom Brady. That is way too young to be a head coach, the guy doesn't know squat besides offense and some marginal defensive assistant duties.

He is a very good offensive coordinator. He is good at spotting opponent weaknesses, comes in generally with good game plans, and then won't take his foot off the pedal. This is the good about him.

The bad:
- He is horrible at in game adjustments. This is either because he gets too c.ocky about his game plans and won't change them mid-game even if they aren't working, or because he is too young or inexperienced to either spot the problem and/or diagnose how to fix it in a short amount of time. I would bet it's the former because he seems like an arrogant douche bag.

- He is not very creative or deceptive. He will go into a game with 5-10 core plays and basically run the same thing over.. and over.. and over again. This kills us in the playoffs since Charlie Weiss left because defenses scout us, figure us out, and then stop us, and McDaniels still does the same stuff over and over.

- Related to above but he is terrible in big moments or game-ending playoff drives. Multiple times when we need a score late in the game he calls some very stupid or mind boggling plays that eliminate any chance of tying or winning the game. I'm not just talking about the Giants game where he called 4 straight bombs to end the game, he has done this multiple times in years before it.

- It is not clear how he would do managing an entire team since he is so young and inexperienced at anything else besides offense.

- It is not clear how he will do without great talent. Ever since 2005 the Patriots have spent high draft picks and money on offensive talent, which makes McDaniels look good. Tom Brady made his bad calls look great for a few years, and even under Cassel he was blessed with a stud running game and great receivers.

Basically, I would say he is a very strong candidate who understands how to put up yards and points. He chokes in big drives and in big games, so basically he is at best Mike Martz. I would say that he is more of a choke-artist stat-producing Marino than a Montana, if I could make an analogy between QB's and OC's.

Thanks for info :cool:

"NFL Network's Adam Schefter, speaking on NFL Network, says that many around the league believe Josh McDaniels is going to be the front-runner to land the Denver coaching job."

Broncos Offense

Crazy IMO but McDaniels would probably almost work for free to get his start with that group of skill guys.

I think that Denvah would be a good career move for Josh even at his young age. Unlike Mangini, he has a couple successfull years experience at a high (OC) level. Mangini had one and there is substantive controversy that BB may have had to intervene in that one brief fling. Unlike Mangini, Josh also has cred in player relationships. He's had a well documented successfull relationship with TB.

That said. I hope Josh stays.

The National Football Post | Notes From Lombardi

The way Lombardi hears it:
I hear the Broncos were not enamored or impressed with Steve Spagnuolo and he does not seem to be the frontrunner. However, they were very impressed with Josh McDaniels of the Patriots, and he might be the favorite now. The Broncos might be on a fast track to hire a coach this week. Moving up the Raheem Morris interview means they might want to move quickly.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/04/broncos-will-interview-bucs-morris-on-monday/

And Schefter confirms Morris has been moved to today:
The Broncos are busy wheeling, dealing and intensifying their head-coaching search.

The team has moved up Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris‘ visit to Monday. Initially, Morris was scheduled to interview Wednesday.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you want to hire a GM before a coach? Unless of course you hire a coach with a GM in mind, but I have a hard time believing Josh is at a point where he can demand his own personnel guy.

Either way I could see McDaniels there. Bowlen seems like a guy who wants continuity and figures a young guy like McDaniels could be there for 15+ seasons.

solid franchise....great tradition...good quality of life in the Denver area. could be very attractive to him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back