PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos release ILB Andra Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't go thru the whole thread, but let's admit it--everybody loves LBs (hell, Parcells said he collects em). They have always represented the most versatle, athletic, game changers in a defensive lineup. After BB's NYG years, we like to think of him as some kind of LB guru who will or should continue to find guys like LT, Carson, Pepper, Bruschi, Vrabel, etc. The fact that he basically has been putting LB lower on the priority list each passing season might be telling us something. As some others have said before, maybe BB is trying to play innovator yet again and is almost phasing out the classic 2-3 down LB position and going after more physical DB/Safety types that will get the majority of snaps in this now pass happy league. Maybe the whole Tank Williams hybrid idea that he was said to be toying with is really a big part of his plan for the evolution of the defensive game. Dime (and even more) DB heaviy packages out there on more and more plays. Just a thought.

Word is that there is no one left on Earth that meets their exact specifications. That being the case they will not sign anyone to play linebacker rather than settle for someone who may be an inch shorter than they prefer.

Funny because it's TRUE. :)

Didn't go thru the whole thread, but let's admit it--everybody loves LBs (hell, Parcells said he collects em). They have always represented the most versatle, athletic, game changers in a defensive lineup. After BB's NYG years, we like to think of him as some kind of LB guru who will or should continue to find guys like LT, Carson, Pepper, Bruschi, Vrabel, etc. The fact that he basically has been putting LB lower on the priority list each passing season might be telling us something. As some others have said before, maybe BB is trying to play innovator yet again and is almost phasing out the classic 2-3 down LB position and going after more physical DB/Safety types that will get the majority of snaps in this now pass happy league. Maybe the whole Tank Williams hybrid idea that he was said to be toying with is really a big part of his plan for the evolution of the defensive game. Dime (and even more) DB heaviy packages out there on more and more plays. Just a thought.
That's a pretty good analysis, but they still need a pass rush.

For my final post of the night, let me add my $.02:

I wanted Bill to sign Andra Davis (& SS Sean Jones) last year.

Both of them had played for RAC the previous 4 years in Cleveland, and both would've filled a position of need.

Because of their experience in an obviously similar system, the transition from one team to another would've been seamless, or at the very least as seamless as any transition of that kind could've been expected to become.

Instead, Bill decided to sign (we'll never have)Paris Lenon, and re-sign lil' Jimmy Sanders. Lenon doesn't make it out of TC, and lil' Jimmy provides yet another year of "product knowledge" but absolutely nothing else.

Here we are again this year, and we still don't have anybody who can be called a legitimate NFL SILB on the roster. And again, Andra Davis is available, having again played for a BB disciple. And again, Bill decides to pass on him in favor of...?

Our LB situation is an abomination. There is only one of them on this team who would be considered by any reasonable definition a starting-caliber LB, and he didn't have a very good season - at all. I really hope that Mayo's poor performance was due to his early injury, and not due to other teams being able to consistently exploit his heretofore unknown shortcomings. And it cert. didn't help that his ILB partner made Mayo look like Ted Johnson by comparison.

Is there anybody who can claim with a straight face that Gary Guyton is a better option at SILB than Andra Davis? Or that Mayo, Guyton, a crippled Tyrone McKenzie, Effin Alexander, and lightweight Thomas Williams is even division-winning-caliber, never mind SB-winning-caliber?

The bottom line is that Bill once again had the opportunity to acquire an experienced, relatively young, starting/solid backup SILB with the requisite "product knowledge" which Bill seems to hold particularly dear, and to acquire him at a not-unreasonable price. And once again, Bill has failed to act without any options going forward.

If, through this inaction, the unrecycled sewage of Effin Alexander - or the more recent refuse of Thomas Williams - is on the opening Day 53, then Bill & the rest of the FO is Guilty of Dereliction of Duty. The punishment: No Playoffs.

Good Night, and God (or Satan, or Ganja) help us.

Our LB situation is an abomination. There is only one of them on this team who would be considered by any reasonable definition a starting-caliber LB, and he didn't have a very good season - at all. I really hope that Mayo's poor performance was due to his early injury, and not due to other teams being able to consistently exploit his heretofore unknown shortcomings.
I don't really care for Andra Davis as I would rather draft an SILB early in the draft. I particularly like Rolando McClain or Brandon Spikes to play along side Mayo. In fact, I'd rather use the 1st pick on a pass rusher and try to get Spikes with their 2nd or 3rd pick (if he drops that far). As far as Mayo goes, we will find out whether last year was an aberration or he hit his ceiling.

I don't really care for Andra Davis as I would rather draft an SILB early in the draft. I particularly like Rolando McClain or Brandon Spikes to play along side Mayo. In fact, I'd rather use the 1st pick on a pass rusher and try to get Spikes with their 2nd or 3rd pick (if he drops that far). As far as Mayo goes, we will find out whether last year was an aberration or he hit his ceiling.

Don't be surprised if you look up on draft day and find the top ILBs gone before the Patriots spot in the draft.

Last edited:
I expect McClain to be gone, but you think Spikes will be gone as well?

Washington
K.C.
Denver
Buffalo
Miami
Pittsburgh
Giants

Just some of the teams that pick before the Patriots and either run the 3-4 or have a need in the 4-3 that might tempt them. Obviously some teams need a LB more than others, but KC, Denver, Buffalo, Washington and Miami all need 3-4 ILBs. Denver just completely revamped its D-line, and it's already got a strong secondary, so I expect that one of the LBs will end up there. Things can change between now and the draft, but I wouldn't count on either 'big' name to be available at 22.

As much as I disliked the LB play last season and expect the Patriots to address that in rounds 1-2, I'm guessing that it will be either a DE or an OLB that's chosen in round one by N.E., and the other to be chosen in round two. Of course, given BB's history of drafting TEs in the first round....

Is there anybody who can claim with a straight face that Gary Guyton is a better option at SILB than Andra Davis? Or that Mayo, Guyton, a crippled Tyrone McKenzie, Effin Alexander, and lightweight Thomas Williams is even division-winning-caliber, never mind SB-winning-caliber?

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but with an injured Mayo, plus Guyton and Seau(ha!) we DID win the division. So... yeah.

I want an upgrade to the ILB position, but come on... on this board it seems every position grouping needs to be stocked or it's going to cost us the division/playoffs/super bowl, etc.

Both of them had played for RAC the previous 4 years in Cleveland, and both would've filled a position of need.

Because of their experience in an obviously similar system, the transition from one team to another would've been seamless, or at the very least as seamless as any transition of that kind could've been expected to become.

Instead, Bill decided to sign (we'll never have)Paris Lenon, and re-sign lil' Jimmy Sanders. Lenon doesn't make it out of TC, and lil' Jimmy provides yet another year of "product knowledge" but absolutely nothing else.

Nothing else? Hmm.. Gotta love when the coach credits a guy for the improvement in the secondary at the end of the year, but a "knowledgable fan" claims that Sanders did NOTHING.

Here we are again this year, and we still don't have anybody who can be called a legitimate NFL SILB on the roster. And again, Andra Davis is available, having again played for a BB disciple. And again, Bill decides to pass on him in favor of...?

Did you ever stop to think that MAYBE, just MAYBE Belichick knows something you don't about Davis?? Something that RAC told him?

Our LB situation is an abomination. There is only one of them on this team who would be considered by any reasonable definition a starting-caliber LB, and he didn't have a very good season - at all. I really hope that Mayo's poor performance was due to his early injury, and not due to other teams being able to consistently exploit his heretofore unknown shortcomings. And it cert. didn't help that his ILB partner made Mayo look like Ted Johnson by comparison.

Gee.. Maybe Mayo didn't have a "good season" because of the MCL injury he suffered??? And GUYTON had a very good season all things considered. Especially since he wasn't expected to see much time except in passing situations.

Guyton isn't a SILB. He's the WILB behind Mayo. Since you've forgotten, it's about players playing as a TEAM on the field. It's not ALL about individual talent. OH, and your forgot to slander Bruce Davis while you were at it...

The bottom line is that Bill once again had the opportunity to acquire an experienced, relatively young, starting/solid backup SILB with the requisite "product knowledge" which Bill seems to hold particularly dear, and to acquire him at a not-unreasonable price. And once again, Bill has failed to act without any options going forward.

If, through this inaction, the unrecycled sewage of Effin Alexander - or the more recent refuse of Thomas Williams - is on the opening Day 53, then Bill & the rest of the FO is Guilty of Dereliction of Duty. The punishment: No Playoffs.

Bottom line is that you are whining and complaining again because you think you are so much smarter than Bill Belichick. Yet you don't even have half the information that BB does.

Washington They need a LT with Samuels retirement.
K.C.
Denver Yes, with the cutting of Davis, they could be in line for an SILB.
Buffalo Where did you hear that Buffalo is switching to a 3-4??? They don't have a NT and it actually hurts their team because their best pass rusher in Schoebel exces with his hand down.
Miami With the release of Ayodele, they could be in the market for an ILB.. but they have ZERO starting OLBs right now.
Pittsburgh - won't be drafting an ILB early. Not after signing Foote.
Giants They need a MLB, not an ILB. Neither Spikes nor McClain have the sideline to sideline speed they need.

Just some of the teams that pick before the Patriots and either run the 3-4 or have a need in the 4-3 that might tempt them. Obviously some teams need a LB more than others, but KC, Denver, Buffalo, Washington and Miami all need 3-4 ILBs. Denver just completely revamped its D-line, and it's already got a strong secondary, so I expect that one of the LBs will end up there. Things can change between now and the draft, but I wouldn't count on either 'big' name to be available at 22.

As much as I disliked the LB play last season and expect the Patriots to address that in rounds 1-2, I'm guessing that it will be either a DE or an OLB that's chosen in round one by N.E., and the other to be chosen in round two. Of course, given BB's history of drafting TEs in the first round....

BB drafted only 2 TEs in the first round. He's drafted more D-linemen in the 1st round than he has TEs.. He's also drafted a safety, guard and RB. One of the things that I've learned about BB is "History be damned". With the 1st rounder, he's going to take the player who best helps this team and will have an impact during his first year.

Are you really crowing that the two guys you wanted BB to sign last year were both released following one year with their new teams?

They have had 2 opportunities to make a move for Davis, and they haven't even come close to looking interested. They don't like him. They don't want him.

They need a LT with Samuels retirement.

And, switching to a 3-4, they also need to look at ILB.

Where did you hear that Buffalo is switching to a 3-4??? They don't have a NT and it actually hurts their team because their best pass rusher in Schoebel exces with his hand down.

Bills focus on transition defense : Buffalo Bills : The Buffalo News

With the release of Ayodele, they could be in the market for an ILB.. but they have ZERO starting OLBs right now.

I wasn't claiming that every listed team would draft a linebacker, and I wasn't claiming that nobody who wasn't on that list would pass on them. I noted some teams ahead of the Patriots, mostly 3-4 teams with need or a focus and a 4-3 team that needs someone for the inside.

won't be drafting an ILB early. Not after signing Foote.

Foote's a backup caliber player. I don't necessarily expect the Steelers to go LB, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out with that team. They are covered at RB, WR, QB, TE and DL (unless they look NT), leaving CB, OL and a potential LB position as places I'd think they'd look at first.

They need a MLB, not an ILB. Neither Spikes nor McClain have the sideline to sideline speed they need.

They need a linebacker in the middle. Whether they think either player can do the job is a matter for their scouts. I merely mentioned them as an example.

BB drafted only 2 TEs in the first round. He's drafted more D-linemen in the 1st round than he has TEs.. He's also drafted a safety, guard and RB. One of the things that I've learned about BB is "History be damned". With the 1st rounder, he's going to take the player who best helps this team and will have an impact during his first year.

2 TEs in his stay is a high percentage, particularly when you add in all the lower round TEs he's grabbed. My comment was really more of a throwaway thing, but he has shown interest in top rated TEs already in the process.

Davis would have fit perfectly here. He's the type of leader the Pats need to be signing in FA. In fact, Buffalo media can't stop talking about how the Bills brought him in to lead their young defense. I wish they were talking about the same thing with the Pats.

They have had 2 opportunities to make a move for Davis, and they haven't even come close to looking interested. They don't like him. They don't want him...

...But they need him. Because they don't have anybody else as good.

He knows the system; he's healthy & has the size req. for SILB; and he would've come relatively cheaply.

This should've been a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back