PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos release ILB Andra Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deus, Is he hurt? I can't see them not getting even a fifth rounder for him. Perhaps a substance suspension coming? Anybody know? It makes no sense. Would we have traded AD for him even up? I think so (pending $)
DW Toys

That would mean the Broncos pick up his 11 mil 2 yr contract. That's too much for AD.

That would mean the Broncos pick up his 11 mil 2 yr contract. That's too much for AD.
Yes we all agree that is the issue on the money, I did mention that. If this was MLB it could be settled.
Here is what I do not know The effect on the CAP if we jettison players. Perhaps a sign and trade might have worked to extend AD with them, but it is a moot point as they cut Davis anyway.
DW Toys

Strange they didn't even try to trade him. Very mysterious, though i can't imagine BB and Pioli are in the dark.
It's been argued before by some credible people that the Chiefs biggest need is at inside linebacker, which happens to be the position Davis played for the Broncos in their 3-4 defense.

The Chiefs are currently sporting Corey Mays and Demorrio Williams (and DJ) as inside linebackers and folks might argue Davis would be an upgrade.

Former Broncos LB Andra Davis Could Be Intriguing For The Chiefs - Arrowhead Pride

Yup, that Corey Mays

mays.jpg

And Alexander slips one more notch down the "guys who might someday be a credible linebacker" list.

I'll be disappointed if Davis isn't brought in for a look. It is one thing to not sign him for being a bad locker room presence, but I'm hoping that isn't the case. He is solid veteran, who could assist with mentoring a young linebacking corp.

Frankly, this was the opportunity that the Pats needed and now that they have it, they need to capitalize and do so quickly.

Here is an intersting write up about Davis from Adam Schatz at Football Insider.com

"The Broncos have re-done their entire defensive line in free agency, but it's surprising to see them making moves among the linebackers because that wasn't exactly the source of their defensive problems in the second half of 2009. Davis actually led all inside/middle linebackers by making his average run tackle after the ballcarrier gained just 2.0 yards. He's the proverbial steady-but-not-spectacular player who does his job and fits into a winning team as long as he has some star teammates. If he can't get a starting job somewhere (New England, Arizona, Washington), he would be smart to follow defensive coordinator Mike Nolan to Miami, where he could back up Karlos Dansby and Channing Crowder." - Aaron Schatz

NFL Rumors - NFL Trade Rumors, Free Agency Rumors and More - Rumor Central - ESPN

Tough break, looks like he signed with Buffalo.

Twitter / Adam Schefter: Buffalo's going to be happ ...

The news just keeps getting better and better and better. Oh, and bye the way how is Tom Brady not at voluntary workouts today? After attending only 34 out of a possible 54 workouts last season I was holding out hope that we would see the dedication to the offseason program that Brady showed earlier in his career. Guess not.

Patriots linebacker plan is still mind boggling.

If anyone knows what it is, I'd be happy to listen. Every year I think it will be revealed and past inaction explained.

If anyone knows what it is, I'd be happy to listen. Every year I think it will be revealed and past inaction explained.

Word is that there is no one left on Earth that meets their exact specifications. That being the case they will not sign anyone to play linebacker rather than settle for someone who may be an inch shorter than they prefer.

Yeah, I'm as patient as the next non-chicken little fan but the lack of interest in an area of need is confusing, at best. I know they probably have high hopes for McKenzie but he's still a relative unknown commodity.

Maybe they are phasing out the Linebacker position. Sort of like TE and FB. I'm sure we'll get to the point where we just roll out Tom and Bill and hope for the best?

Maybe they are phasing out the Linebacker position. Sort of like TE and FB. I'm sure we'll get to the point where we just roll out Tom and Bill and hope for the best?

From the movie, "Hoosiers" I can see BB echoing a similar quote

Ref: Coach? Need 11 players out there..

BB: My team is on the field.

From the movie, "Hoosiers" I can see BB echoing a similar quote

Ref: Coach? Need 11 players out there..

BB: My team is on the field.

Or Tom and Bill in the two man huddle...

Tom: Hey coach just split out wide, somewhere over there and go deep!!

Bill: Gee, Tom I don't think I can get that deep with this head gear and red flag in my sock.....

Tom: Ok, fine just break it off after five yards.

Bill: How about I shoot for two yards?

Tom: Two would be good, on one. Break!
:D

I wanted the Pats to sign either Davis or Foote. Missed out on both. That sucks. Hopefully Belichick has a plan. I still give the guy the benefit of the doubt at until the Pats have their first single digit win season since 2002.

Last edited:
Definitely worth a flier IMO. Bring him to compete for a job at SILB. I thought he was pretty solid for Denver at ILB.

Does this signal a lot of interest in McClain from the Broncos? I think so.

Exactly what I was thinking. So much for my dreams of McClain dropping to us at 22...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back