PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos offered Todd Sauerbrun an incentive-based contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayjoe

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The Broncos offered Todd Sauerbrun an incentive-based contract.

The Patriots have the right of first refusal with Sauerbrun. It will be easy to match the deal, but they may not bother if they believe Josh Miller will be healthy next season.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5543446

I thought he kicked pretty well for us. He has a strong leg. He may lack the control that Miller has shown, but he can kick us out of trouble.

If they want him why didn't they just keep him last year?

The Broncos offered Todd Sauerbrun an incentive-based contract.

The Patriots have the right of first refusal with Sauerbrun. It will be easy to match the deal, but they may not bother if they believe Josh Miller will be healthy next season.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5543446

I would like to see Sauerbrun come back. He came here and did his job.

Hate to see the Donkees get him back. Let's keep 3 kickers and 2 QB's.

Sauerbrun was fine but I much prefer Miller, his leg is easily big enough, although not AS big as Sauerbrun's, but he's also better with placement and doesn't outkick his coverage.

Make no mistake I would take Sauerbrun over Ken Walter in a nanosecond but I like Miller A LOT when he's right.

By the end of the post-season, Sauerbrun punting better than anyone had done all season for the Pats, and he was instrumental in keeping the game close in Sam Diego when the offence couldn't get anything going.

I like Miller, but I'm not going to get sentimental over a punter, and if Sauerbrun's got the best leg, which I believe he has, then I'd like to see him back.

Sauerbrun was fine but I much prefer Miller, his leg is easily big enough, although not AS big as Sauerbrun's, but he's also better with placement and doesn't outkick his coverage.

Make no mistake I would take Sauerbrun over Ken Walter in a nanosecond but I like Miller A LOT when he's right.

THis I completely agree with. Frankly, I am a little surprised at the love that this board has for Sauerbrun. He kicks it far, but that is about it.

I like them both but miller is like 34?

What about our younger punter?????Sauerburn will show his true colors....I do like Miller for his placement...

Frankly, I am a little surprised at the love that this board has for Sauerbrun. He kicks it far, but that is about it.
Isn't that the primary job of a punter? Field position?

THis I completely agree with. Frankly, I am a little surprised at the love that this board has for Sauerbrun. He kicks it far, but that is about it.
It's because he replaced Ken Walter :)

They also have two young punters...Malone and Braugher BOTH on the PSqd last year..

Last edited:
They also have two young punters...Malone and Braugher BOTH on the PSqd last year..

Weren't they both recovery from injuries?

When healthy I hear that Baugher has a cannon of a leg.

Isn't that the primary job of a punter? Field position?

No, that is not the case. Often times, height is more important that length. Case in point: One of Sauerbrun's longest kicks brought forth BB's ire because, for it's length, it was not in the air long enough for the coverage guys to converge on the return man, commonly refered to as "outkicking the coverage." Not only that, but considering how many punts are done from near midfield, directional punting and distance control are just as important is distance. Another case in point: the punt before Indy's final drive was a touchback. Miller would likely have gotten that down inside the 15. Would 5-10 yards have made any difference? I don't know, but it couldn't have hurt.

BelichickFan said:
It's because he replaced Ken Walter :)

I'm not so sure that you need the smiley. I think that there is quite a bit of truth to this.

Last edited:
No, that is not the case. Often times, height is more important that length. Case in point: One of Sauerbrun's longest kicks brought forth BB's ire because, for it's length, it was not in the air long enough for the coverage guys to converge on the return man, commonly refered to as "outkicking the coverage." Not only that, but considering how many punts are done from near midfield, directional punting and distance control are just as important is distance. Another case in point: the punt before Indy's final drive was a touchback. Miller would likely have gotten that down inside the 15. Would 5-10 yards have made any difference? I don't know, but it couldn't have hurt.

The Patriots weren't very good at downing punts near the goal line even when Miller was still playing. It might mean the coverage was mostly to blame for nexting getting downfield quickly enough to field it.

I think Sauerbrun will be our opening day punter. He was getting into trouble with BB for kicking it TOO FAR. Those are the type of problems most teams would like to limit themselves to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye