PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos Hire John Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I was thinking he might have to go back to being a coordinator for a year or two first before getting another chance at head coach.

John Fox named New Head Coach of the Broncos

Fox seems to be a wise choice

Re: John Fox named New Head Coach of the Broncos

Fox is solid. That Panthers org had been having some issues with ownership as Jerry Richardson had some health issues and the sons couldn't get along. A bit unsettling...

What is Elway doing? All these tweets about who they are interviewing, what fee agents they want, promising fans unlimited access? As a fan, its great. But from a organizational standpoint, they may be a bit too transparent.

Of course, we are fans of Patriots where only the NSA is more secretive. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't know how solid he is. 9 years, 3 winning seasons, had some talent to work with and seemingly pissed it away because he fell in love with a flash in the pan gunslinger and hung onto him beyond all reason. He's looked burnt out the last couple of seasons. Like Woody Paige said, how often does a 4 win team fire their HC only to grab a 2 win HC...

He probably came cheap (and plyable since he says he will run whatever defense seems to be the best fit even though he's a 4-3 coach and he's willing to stick with Tebow if that's what it comes to) compared to the other veteran candidates out there and when you're paying 3 HC's simultaneously he probably looked like the best candidate to provide some stability and get the natives off the war path inexpensively.

Broncos fans: At least John Fox isn't Josh McDaniels - The Denver Post

John Fox is charged with rebuilding the Broncos. In the eyes of Broncos' fans, the former Carolina Panthers coach already has one thing going for him: he's not Josh McDaniels.

Zing!

McDaniels was fired Dec. 6 after going 11-17 in two seasons. Fox's Panthers were 10-22 over the past two seasons.

The difference, in the eyes of Broncos fans, is that Fox has been to a Super Bowl as a head coach. McDaniels hasn't.

"I'm optimistically hopeful," Ruff said.

Besides, Devan said, "If he can go to a Super Bowl with Jake Delhomme, he can come here."

I don't know how solid he is. 9 years, 3 winning seasons, had some talent to work with and seemingly pissed it away because he fell in love with a flash in the pan gunslinger and hung onto him beyond all reason.

I think the problems in Carolina all began with their mishandling of Julius Peppers. Rather than trading him they had to pay him, and in order to do that they had to clear cap space. They did that by re-working Delhomme's contract - with an extension. That in turn meant they were stuck with Delhomme. It was just a matter of time before those moves caught up to them.

Whether those decisions were the fault of Fox, their GM or their owner, I don't know for sure but I got the impression that Fox was not happy with decisions made further up the chain of command. That and the fact he knew before the season even started that he would not be rehired probably had a lot to do with that disinterested look that you mentioned.

As for Denver they will be paying Fox, McDaniels and Shanahan a salary next year. However it seems to me that if money played a part in their decision I would think they would have hired a guy that did not have previous head coaching experience. I can't imagine Fox is being paid less than what new hires like Shurmur are making.

Meh, he had some decent seasons with the panthers. Maybe they'd rather go with experienced this time around.

Meh, he had some decent seasons with the panthers. Maybe they'd rather go with experienced this time around.

Exactly. Their fans are already nervous as hell about Elway and all the power HE has been immediately given (ala McDaniels) as director of football operations. Elway has ZERO experience in running an NFL organization, Xanders is seen is an almost equally green GM, so John Fox makes perfect sense in terms of his NFL head coaching experience.

Last edited:
I don't think this will be a good long term coaching hire IMHO.

I think McDaniels was very raw but paired with a good GM, he could have been much more effective. I think the Broncos did a huge copout by saying McDaniels had too much power, as if he took it on his own. It was given to him. McDaniels got his team ready to play but he was a pretty horrible quasi GM.

The problem I see with the Broncos is their moves all appear reactionary. Gotta give Elway credit though, he is dancing with his own legacy here, this could end up badly for him if he's Millen 2.0.

Fox, IMHO, has a lot of Andy Reid's mindset in him, i.e. he stays the course good or bad. Which is great when you are doing things well but not so great when you need to make adjustments.

Shanahan was a good coach but a poor GM. ( Whenever this guy picked a WR or CB, I felt like they should have spent that time at the draft having a BBQ, at least they could have had a little fun. Shanahan, until the end, missed A LOT in his drafts.

McDaniel was a pretty good young coach IMHO but again, a poor GM/personnel guy.

So you have that going on and you give the franchise to a former star QB with no front office experience?

I was a huge Elway and Broncos fan in the 80s before moving to Boston for college and ultimately becoming a Pats fan in 92. I was hoping him coming back to the team would mean good things for them but this just seems like such a lame hire. Like when Pitino came to the Celts and thought he would get Duncan and a second top 3 pick and wound up with 3 and 6 and didn't know what to do. I think Elway envisioned some kind of 3 headed Stanford monster - first he'd lure Harbaugh and then they'd talk Luck into coming out. That didn't happen so it's just on to plan Z because there never was a B or C. Maybe if he was out of the league or a coordinator for a year but instead they picked the one coach in the league that managed to finish with a worse record than they did last year.

I've always thought John Fox was a synonym for mediocrity.

As much as my opinion of McDaniels was soured over the last season, the Broncos should have kept him.

They should of kept McDaniels, brought in a good defensive coordinator and let them have full control over the defense and brought in a GM that would of made most of the personel moves and let McDaniels handle the offense and head coaching duties instead of the defense or what players to bring in all the time and they would be in much better shape but too much power was given and all the blame then fell on McDaniels and not the people that gave him too much power.

I still think McDaniels is one of the top offensive coaches out there, who else could of turned in Kyle Orton into a top quarterback and make Brandon Lloyd one of the top wide receivers in the game?

They should of kept McDaniels, brought in a good defensive coordinator and let them have full control over the defense and brought in a GM that would of made most of the personel moves and let McDaniels handle the offense and head coaching duties instead of the defense or what players to bring in all the time and they would be in much better shape but too much power was given and all the blame then fell on McDaniels and not the people that gave him too much power.

I still think McDaniels is one of the top offensive coaches out there, who else could of turned in Kyle Orton into a top quarterback and make Brandon Lloyd one of the top wide receivers in the game?

No doubt his coaching was a definite aspect in those matters, but I think the system had more to do with it than he did. Orton and Lloyd (especially) are perfect fits.

That's because it is.

The thing is, McDaniel's offense wasn't even that great this year. The Broncos were ranked 19th in PPG with 21.5. Look at some of their games and keep in mind they played the AFC West / South, NFC West, Jets, Ravens...

17, 31, 13, 26, 17, 20, 14, 16, 49, 14, 33, 6 [MCD fired], 13, 23, 24, 28

You could make an argument they were more consistent and better offensively after he left. I think the stupid numbers that Orton / Lloyd put up really fooled people, a bunch of those yardage stats are pure garbage. I think he's a good OC but people are giving him way to much credit.

EDIT: And him calling that 16-0 offense is looking less and less impressive. I think Brady could make a 12 year old with a Madden playbook look like a legit OC. I'm thinking it was waaaaayyyy more Brady + explosive Moss / Welker and less McDaniels.

Last edited:
Josh had too much power and too much responsibility without the prerequisite experience. This does not usually work out well in life; I'd cite examples but the post will get deleted. Broncs shoulda kept J McD and had him focus on being a head coach period and surrounded him with proven GM talent. The Elway era will be another disaster for the same reasons cited.

Re: John Fox named New Head Coach of the Broncos

Not a bad move. Never managing back-to-back winning seasons should be a bit of a red flag, considering the length of his tenure in Carolina, but the good years were good enough that another shot is probably fair. He didn't have much of an organization behind him, and being saddled with a QB like Jake Delhomme for that many years can't be easy on a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes