PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos fire Shanahan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time Shanahan had an overbearing owner was in Oakland. May be doesn't want to go down that road again?

You think Jerry Jones wants to go down the road of a yes man again? The days of Barry Switzer are all over. No idiot yes man is going to win a Super Bowl with the Cowboys. Jones is smart enough to realize that and, when talking about Parcells, seemed kind of remorseful that he let his relationship with Parcells get like that since the team towed the company line when he was there then when out of control with Phillips. In other words, I can see Jones willing to take a step back out of the spotlight for a little while ala Jimmy Johnson. Will he stay there? Probably not. But it could be enough to land Shanahan.

I would not mind seeing Shannahan as our OC if McDaniels leaves. Not only is he a great offensive mind to go with BB's defensive mind, but I have to respect a guy, who when criticized by Tagliabue for not putting all his injured players on the injury report, responded by listing all 53 players the following week. Do you have any idea how these two, working together, could annoy Goodell?

BB wont bring in anyone from outside. Dom capers is more like a special consultant but he wont become the DC ever IMO. Shanahan wouldnt want to come here in the first place and i dont think BB will ask him to either. Pats try to promote from within 95%of the time.

Damn that's pretty shocking even given their collapse.

Bold move by Denver, BOLD move. And I don't think it's a smart one but we'll see.

You think Jerry Jones wants to go down the road of a yes man again? The days of Barry Switzer are all over. No idiot yes man is going to win a Super Bowl with the Cowboys. Jones is smart enough to realize that and, when talking about Parcells, seemed kind of remorseful that he let his relationship with Parcells get like that since the team towed the company line when he was there then when out of control with Phillips. In other words, I can see Jones willing to take a step back out of the spotlight for a little while ala Jimmy Johnson. Will he stay there? Probably not. But it could be enough to land Shanahan.

I don't have a great recollection of what transpired with Jimmy Johnson...except that the Cowgirls sucked and Jimmy righted the ship. For some reason I recall him leaving on not so good terms with Jerry (but I can't say for sure).
Regardless, I think you may be right that Jerry has 'learned to take a step back'...but I guess I will believe it when I see it. I hope they continue to suck because of the 'smug' factor that comes with the Cowboys.

I think Shanahan will end up in Cleveland and McDaniels will take the Broncos job.

It would seem the definition of "lesson learned" would be not repeating mistakes. Jones, in forcing Johnson out (there was a comical exchange on Fox when Bradshaw observed Jones "fired the best coach he has had" and Johnson with irritation in his voice responded "I resigned"), brought in a yes man. He then suffered through many bad seasons and brought in Parcells, a proven winner. He then got his hands back into the mix with Owens, who Parcells clearly did not approve of, and thereafter replaced Parcells with Wade, another yes man.

It seems Jones believes he can coach a team and want coaches who do what he says to do. He strikes me as a less exaggerated form of Davis, neither of whom can look at the Irsay's or Kraft's and see the most successful franchises have owners who stay in the owners boxes and leave the business of football to the pros.

So this will end the talk on the board of trading Maroney to Denver?

BB wont bring in anyone from outside. Dom capers is more like a special consultant but he wont become the DC ever IMO. Shanahan wouldnt want to come here in the first place and i dont think BB will ask him to either. Pats try to promote from within 95%of the time.

That's true, but on top of that, Mike Shanahan does not have to be a coordinator, nor will he ever be a coordinator. He is a multiple Super Bowl winner.

If Belichick:

*Drafted an heir-apparent QB with the 11th pick after his starter (who had a 33-14 record at the time) just took his team to the AFC title game and to the playoffs 3 years running;
*Benched his starter in favor of the heir-apparent while his team was 7-4 and still in the playoff hunt;
*Missed the playoffs with the rook after going 2-3 after the switch;
*Traded the old starter and got virtually nothing in return due to his retirement
*Started 5-5, in the thick of the division hunt and went 2-4 down the stretch
*Started 3-0 with a blazing offense, had a 3-game lead at 8-5 w/ 3 to play and BLEW IT
*Missed the playoffs 3 years running while going 24-24

Yeah I'd say it would be time for him to go......

No. You are absolutely wrong, though it's tough to compare the situations because it would be so out of character for Belichick to do all those things.

The problem is you didn't include the relatively poor years 1999-2005 in your list... add a stretch like that to Belichick's record and THEN it would be time for him to go.

If Shanahan had done those things in 1999-2002, or even 2003-2005, then he doesn't get fired.

Shanahan will not be on the market for long. If he's interested in coaching next season he will have quite a bit of interest. If the Chiefs/Browns were smart they should take him in a heart beat.

Shanahan to the Browns would be excellent. It would create more competition for Pittsburgh and Baltimore, and a feeder system for the Patriots as he converted that team to a 4-3 defense (Granted, the pickings from the Browns would be slim). The kicker would be to get Cowher to the AFC West in either Kansas City or Denver, to make that division a bit more physically taxing on its teams.

Last edited:
Congratulations, you find yourself in good company. Al Davis made a similar statement: "Shanahan has an asterisk next to those two Super Bowls, because they were caught cheating." I tend to give Shanahan a bit more credit in beating the Packers and Falcons than that.

And the Pats were monitored during their undefeated season. It is their three Super Bowl wins that people like to take shots at after Spygate.

Yup, because paying 29 million to your two best players off the books, didn't help secure additional talent that helped him beat those two teams. Especially when you consider the overall amount of the salary cap in those two seasons (1997 41 million and 1998 52 million). :rolleyes:

Thanks for the correction...

Last edited:
Shanahan could wait a bit to see if Cowher gets a job, then go work for CBS. >$1M for working 20 days a year -- watching football -- isn't a bad job.

Wow, That's big news.

However, he'll have another job in a New York Minute. ;)

Great coach...sucky GM.

They have been in a death spiral for a while now.

I am surprised by this news. I just hope the Jets don't smarten up enough to go after him.

It would seem the definition of "lesson learned" would be not repeating mistakes. Jones, in forcing Johnson out (there was a comical exchange on Fox when Bradshaw observed Jones "fired the best coach he has had" and Johnson with irritation in his voice responded "I resigned"), brought in a yes man. He then suffered through many bad seasons and brought in Parcells, a proven winner. He then got his hands back into the mix with Owens, who Parcells clearly did not approve of, and thereafter replaced Parcells with Wade, another yes man.

It seems Jones believes he can coach a team and want coaches who do what he says to do. He strikes me as a less exaggerated form of Davis, neither of whom can look at the Irsay's or Kraft's and see the most successful franchises have owners who stay in the owners boxes and leave the business of football to the pros.

You should remember that even Al Davis hired John Gruden and took a step back. Jones is more than capable of doing so. Will he stay in the wings? No. But he's capable of doing it in order to get the right coach in there to take his already talented team past their first playoff game.

Yup, because paying 29 million to your two best players off the books, didn't help secure additional talent that helped him beat those two teams. Especially when you consider the overall amount of the salary cap in those two seasons (1997 41 million and 1998 52 million).

Fair enough on the sarcasm. We can reject outright the investigation declaration that "These agreements were plainly designed to help the club cope with seasonal cash flow problems exacerbated by the Broncos' need to fund front-end expenditures associated with development of the new stadium in Denver."

Who were the free agents brought in during that period? Who were the players in danger of leaving? While it would be ridiculous to say $14.5 million/year for 2 years from Davis and Elway's contracts, or 40% of the total salary cap would be insignificant if designed to bring in or keep key players, if you cannot point to major player personnel transactions during that period (and they would seem to be readily available) then the allegation is no more than the baseless claims thrown at the Patriots. I believe Denver's violations were far more egregious given the possible competitive advantage implications, but I would challenge you to find facts that support the allegation unless you are willing to accept allegations that the Patriots stole three titles with their practices. I really don't put much stock in either accusation and believe both teams won because they deserved to win. They find themselves in the playoffs way too often for the occasional titles to be the product of flukes or cheating (meaning they violate the rule, come under scrutiny and still return to the playofs).

And if your point was Shanahan is a lousy coach or overrated, we can agree to disagree. His two titles came when the NFC had a stranglehold on the Lombardi for almost 15 years. With a .600 winning percentage and 146 wins in a tough division, I am no Broncos fan (they rate about 3rd on my list of hated teams) but I will give credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes