PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos agree to contract with Saurbrun; Pats can match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Broncos agree to contract with Saurbrun; Pats have 7 days to match

I like both punters... but, I supose that Miller would fit the bill.

What was Miller's injury again? I guess I must have forgot...

If the Pats don't keep Miller, then the terrorists have won.

Don't make me start a "who is your favorite Jewish Patriot" thread in this holiest of seasons.:D

Per John Clayton:

Sauerbrun's deal is reportedly 1 Yr/$820K (Vet Minimum). There are $600K in incentives, a no trade clause and clauses that prohibit the franchise or transition designation being used on him after this season.

If true, I don't see why they wouldn't match and either bring both to camp or trade him to Denver (which he would likely approve despite the no-trade clause) for a 2008 7th or something.

Don't make me start a "who is your favorite Jewish Patriot" thread in this holiest of seasons.:D

Myra Kraft.

What organization is MOST obsessed with the New England Patriots?

My vote in order: #1: DENVER; #2: NY JETS; #3: INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I believe it was circumcision-related.

What do you think of my sitcom idea, Patjew?

It's called Paddy, the Irish Mohel. His secret is just a touch of the Bushmill's to steady the nerves.

Every episode is the same, he always drinks too much and everyone wonders if he can rise to the occasion.

Hilarity ensues.

Sauerbrun outpunted the coverage in the Titans game and Pacman got a full head of steam and took one back on us 80+. I remember Bilichick blew up on Sauerbrun - maybe BB was just pissed that he had just lost his de facto captain for the playoffs. Whatever, he was a good fill in for the stretch run but the job is Miller's.

Was this the guy caught up in the steroid allegations during his time in Carolina?

What do you think of my sitcom idea, Patjew?

It's called Paddy, the Irish Mohel. His secret is just a touch of the Bushmill's to steady the nerves.

Every episode is the same, he always drinks too much and everyone wonders if he can rise to the occasion.

Hilarity ensues.

Sounds painfully funny. But the joke might get flacid after a couple episodes.

Sauerbrun outpunted the coverage in the Titans game and Pacman got a full head of steam and took one back on us 80+. I remember Bilichick blew up on Sauerbrun - maybe BB was just pissed that he had just lost his de facto captain for the playoffs. Whatever, he was a good fill in for the stretch run but the job is Miller's.

BB later apologized for the incident and said that it was the his fault.

Miller is a better kicker and holder. That being said, there is really only one issue, the health of Miller. We don't want to have Walter or a kid when we have the choice of two experienced kickers.

Also, Sauerbrun would much rather be in Denver and doesn't fit in very well as a patriot.

But in the end, the issue is business. Do we have confidence in Miller. If so, pass on Suerbrun. If not, match. I'm presuming no poison pills in the offer.

Sounds painfully funny. But the joke might get flacid after a couple episodes.

I don't expect it to stand the test of time.

It would still be a cut above the competition IMO.

Will all respect to the punter, it's Andre Tippett by a mile!

Que? Much better?

Career numbers

Miller:
43.1 average
35.9 net average
247 kicks inside the 20
101 touchbacks (which isn't a good thing)

Sauerbrun:
44.0 average
36.0 net average
250 kicks inside the 20
102 touchbacks

I'm not going to stand here and say that Sauerbrun is the much better punter either. I do however prefer Sauerbrun's leg strength over Miller's.

These are both excellent Punters. There are only two statistics that downgrade Miller and Sauerbrun;

Miler: 37 ---> 38
Sauerbrun: 34 ---> 35

That's why Tom Chambers and whatizname are on the PS and NFLE. And also why I wouldn't be surprised to see Danny Sepulveda P, drafted after the Pats dispatched Brad Seeley to Baylor in Waco Texas to work him out.

When was the last time a Coach went to a Pro day, half way across the country, to see a Punter?:eek:

There are several great Punters in the history of the NFL. Ranked in no particular order they are:

Ray Guy P Raiders - only first round drafted Punter
Todd Suerbrun P - second highest punter ever drafted
Rich Camarillo P - multiple year League leader
MR 'X" P - (ex-Bronco who hold NFL longest punt record)
Sid Luckman QB/P Bears - Highest seasonal Punt average in NFL

Three of the five, played for the Patriots at least part of their careers.

Who are they?
What was the name of Mr. "X" ?
What was the longest Punt in League history ?
Where and for whom did he do it?

What organization is MOST obsessed with the New England Patriots?

My vote in order: #1: DENVER; #2: NY JETS; #3: INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I like your three, but it sure seems like Indy is first. They've been obsessed to the point of being (fill in your favorite demeaning word).

I think Todd's reputation for being a mouthy PITA in a locker room where he's not happy is probably reason enough to just be done with him.

Apparently his love for all things Denver, the team who dumped him last season, far outweights anything he owes BB for picking his ass off the scrap heap last winter and giving him a chance at redemption. We really could use that barf smilie some days...

Sauerbrun hoping deal unmatched
By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 04/04/2007 12:10:58 AM MDT

Todd Sauerbrun has nothing against the New England Patriots. He simply wants to be a Bronco again.

"My heart is in Denver, and it always will be," Sauerbrun said Tuesday. "I felt so at home when I was in Denver. I love everything about that place. I love playing for Mike Shana- han, I love (new special-teams coach) Scott O'Brien. I want to retire as a Bronco." <barf>

Ending a week of negotiations, the Broncos and Sauerbrun agreed to a one-year contract Tuesday. But New England has a week to match the offer for the former Pro Bowl punter. Sauerbrun's agent, David Canter, informed the Patriots of the deal early Tuesday.

New England is likely to match the deal for Sauerbrun, who was released by Denver in October after finishing a four-game NFL suspension for using a banned substance. Sauerbrun starred for Denver in 2005 after he was acquired from Carolina in a trade. He was signed by New England in December.

The Broncos' deal features clauses for no trades, no transition and no franchise tags, and is incentive-based. New England could be swayed by the provisions and the incentives. The Patriots usually don't include such language in their contracts. Sauerbrun's desire to play in Denver and the fact New England has three punters on its roster could prompt New England to allow Sauerbrun, who played in just four games for the Patriots, to move on.

Sauerbrun, 34, said after he was cut by Denver that he wanted to return. Those feelings only increased when the Broncos hired O'Brien in January. Sauerbrun flourished under O'Brien with Carolina. Sauerbrun said he hopes to get the chance to make it up to the Broncos for being suspended last season, essentially ending his stint in Denver.

"I owe the Broncos one," Sauerbrun said. "I want to prove to them that I am worthy of a long-term deal there after screwing up last year."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5587478

Well if the guy would rather play for the Broncos than for us, I'd rather let him go. I mean he's just a freaking punter. It's a marginal position and I'd rather not have someone on the team who doesn't want to be here. Did someone mention Sepulveda? :)

I think Todd's reputation for being a mouthy PITA in a locker room where he's not happy is probably reason enough to just be done with him.

Apparently his love for all things Denver, the team who dumped him last season, far outweights anything he owes BB for picking his ass off the scrap heap last winter and giving him a chance at redemption. We really could use that barf smilie some days...

Sauerbrun hoping deal unmatched
By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 04/04/2007 12:10:58 AM MDT

Todd Sauerbrun has nothing against the New England Patriots. He simply wants to be a Bronco again.

"My heart is in Denver, and it always will be," Sauerbrun said Tuesday. "I felt so at home when I was in Denver. I love everything about that place. I love playing for Mike Shana- han, I love (new special-teams coach) Scott O'Brien. I want to retire as a Bronco." <barf>

Ending a week of negotiations, the Broncos and Sauerbrun agreed to a one-year contract Tuesday. But New England has a week to match the offer for the former Pro Bowl punter. Sauerbrun's agent, David Canter, informed the Patriots of the deal early Tuesday.

New England is likely to match the deal for Sauerbrun, who was released by Denver in October after finishing a four-game NFL suspension for using a banned substance. Sauerbrun starred for Denver in 2005 after he was acquired from Carolina in a trade. He was signed by New England in December.

The Broncos' deal features clauses for no trades, no transition and no franchise tags, and is incentive-based. New England could be swayed by the provisions and the incentives. The Patriots usually don't include such language in their contracts. Sauerbrun's desire to play in Denver and the fact New England has three punters on its roster could prompt New England to allow Sauerbrun, who played in just four games for the Patriots, to move on.

Sauerbrun, 34, said after he was cut by Denver that he wanted to return. Those feelings only increased when the Broncos hired O'Brien in January. Sauerbrun flourished under O'Brien with Carolina. Sauerbrun said he hopes to get the chance to make it up to the Broncos for being suspended last season, essentially ending his stint in Denver.

"I owe the Broncos one," Sauerbrun said. "I want to prove to them that I am worthy of a long-term deal there after screwing up last year."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5587478

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...r=2007&GenPos=FS&sortorder=LastName&order=ASC

Is it just me or does the thought of a 6-4 250 lber on the links just scream waste of athletic talent? I mean Andre is retired so he can do what he wants, I'm talking about Colby Jordan. Who knows maybe he'll be the next Tiger Woods, but I bet with that kind of size he would be much more talented at hitting people and bringing them down to the turf like a wounded deer. ;)

Last edited:
If he wants to go that's fine. It's not going to make or break the team, and we have three punters under contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back