PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broken Glass: Dowling to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I did see Gronk in the defensive secondary on the last play of the Cowboy's game! Maybe BB is going to "Gronk" the secondary? :D

There's a vast middle ground between "Fire Bill!" and "Bill never makes mistakes. He's the bestest!"

You should pull your head out from BB's backside, and give that middle ground a try.

Shrug.
I've disagreed w. Bill decisions plenty of times during games and draft day selections. Doesn't mean I'm his ball washer like you and all the other negative Nancy's on this board and other Patriot blogs think of us "Homers/Ball Washers/ heads up BB backside" .

In the end, he knows more than all of us. In the end, Mr. Kraft refers to him over us. In the end, he is the coach. Not us, not you or not the negative Nancy's. In the end, he has 35 years of pro football experiences. We have none.

I think it's too early for panic, although I certainly understand the concern. BB has been able to scheme around talent issues during the regular season. It's been the postseason where the depth/talent issues have really bitten the team in the ass.

O dear god, another season we have to watch of midget cornerbacks getting raped by jump balls to 6'5 receivers.

I have to agree with you since we lost those games to teams like Miami, San Diego and Ny Jets who have those 6' 5 receivers. Perhaps, you can spare yourself some agony by rooting for the teams with the tall receivers.

Last edited:
I'm just not sure what is going on here. The defense was steadily improving over the last 3 games. Dowling doesn't suprise me and hopefully he gets himself in shape for next year. However I'm still trying to make sense of the Bodden cut.

I just don't get it, especially after the trading deadline. If Molden is running around like a chicken with his head cut off and a total jag I'm going to have to seriously consider the logic here.

The handling of the secondary has been atrocious so far. If there was some form of a plan I sure hope it pans itself out here over the next few weeks. Otherwise it's pretty simple to see that this guy is #$%@ing up on some of his decisions.

Almost every week our corner backs are high on the list of tackles, McCourty and Arrington are 1 and 3 this year. Just saying - when your defensive scheme requires many tackles by CB's this will be the result.

You know how some fans say a certain position on the roster is thin, but in all reality there is some depth there.

Our corner situation is really thin.

I'm just not sure what is going on here. The defense was steadily improving over the last 3 games. Dowling doesn't suprise me and hopefully he gets himself in shape for next year. However I'm still trying to make sense of the Bodden cut.

I just don't get it, especially after the trading deadline. If Molden is running around like a chicken with his head cut off and a total jag I'm going to have to seriously consider the logic here.

The handling of the secondary has been atrocious so far. If there was some form of a plan I sure hope it pans itself out here over the next few weeks. Otherwise it's pretty simple to see that this guy is #$%@ing up on some of his decisions.

For better or for worse, BB does what he feels gives his team the best chance to win. He didn't cut Bodden for shiggles; he felt that—especially given that cutting him will not save the team any money—that cutting Bodden was the best possible option for the team. [If I had to guess, I'd say he was most afraid of the possibility of Bodden, who's apparently not starting anymore, becoming a locker-room cancer.]

Now that's not at all the same thing as saying he's right about that; Lord knows I think he botched the TE position in 2009, and didn't plan properly for getting rid of Sanders and Meriweather.

You know how some fans say a certain position on the roster is thin, but in all reality there is some depth there.

Our corner situation is really thin.

Yep. Same as last year but unlike last year, we had Sanders and Meriweather along with Chung as the 3 safeties. With Sanders gone, it's scary. I'll cringe anything if any of the secondary goes to the ground.

For better or for worse, BB does what he feels gives his team the best chance to win. He didn't cut Bodden for shiggles; he felt that—especially given that cutting him will not save the team any money—that cutting Bodden was the best possible option for the team. [If I had to guess, I'd say he was most afraid of the possibility of Bodden, who's apparently not starting anymore, becoming a locker-room cancer.]

Now that's not at all the same thing as saying he's right about that; Lord knows I think he botched the TE position in 2009, and didn't plan properly for getting rid of Sanders and Meriweather.

That's all we have at this point. Faith in Belichicks judgement. Gonna be very interesting tomorrow...especially with the Steelers since they do have pretty respectable receivers.

That's all we have at this point. Faith in Belichicks judgement. Gonna be very interesting tomorrow...especially with the Steelers since they do have pretty respectable receivers.

Let's hope the entire D line gives Big Ben some Georgia Love.

For all those people who question our drafting abilities, analyze draft results, etc (myself included) today's roster move is typical of what happens to a Patriot's draft choice: - Veteran strength is so good that a new draftee has to be in peak performance condition to make it to the roster.

I think Dowling might have been healthy enough in a couple of weeks to play, but Kevin Faulk needed a roster spot. So Dowling is shut down for the entire year. :bricks: Valuable development time is lost. Who knows what happens next year.

Patriots should recognize their veteran strength. They should stop wasting these second round draft choices. Package the first rounder and a couple of second rounders for a top 5 draft pick and get a stud. The new labor agreement has rookies salaries under control, so Patriots would still get their "value"

(Kevin - we love you buddy. I think it is time to retire. Patriots have found your replacement., Bill has extended you this courtesy year just like he did for accomplished veterans in the past. Give us a decent year and time to move into the coaching ranks.)

I think Dowling might have been healthy enough in a couple of weeks to play, but Kevin Faulk needed a roster spot. So Dowling is shut down for the entire year. :bricks: Valuable development time is lost. Who knows what happens next year.

You do know he had a torn tendon, don't you? :confused:

That said, this isn't the first time the Pats have apparently favored experience over youth (e.g.: 2007, Kareem Brown v. Troy Brown).

honestly, what will happen if mccourty or arrington gets injuired.Also how are we going to defend multiple wr sets.

If the don't have someone else in mind, then the Bodden release will lead to one and done in the Playoffs yet again.

Yes, because NFL history has shown time and time again that the number one indicator of which team will win any given playoff game is whom the team has playing the slot corner in nickel situations.

:rolleyes:

Where are all the BB Kool-aid drinkers?Releasing Bodden makes no sense now.Dowling pick looks terrible early.BB has set this defense back with his lousy drafting!!!!:mad::mad::bricks:

This secondary is bad but it just got worse with no depth at all.

You shut up.Your just another kool-aid drinker.You need to start being objective and quit being a homer.

Maybe they plan on using Wilfork at CB.

His drafting sucks, how about that!!!Also a very questionable move releasing Bodden considering Dowling just went to IR.

Take ur sunglasses off homer.I am not saying he's a bad coach but his drafting has sucked!!His moves are questionable.The guy got outcoached last year in the playoffs.The bottom line is that his defense sucks!!

I am not holding out hope on Arrington either.

Obviously u didnt see those games whithin the scoreboard.This defense still is a work in progress.

Maybe they moving Ochocinco to CB:rolleyes:

Mccourty is really gonna have to step it up.This is incredible how this all just happened in 24 hours.

Does this team have a corner thats over 5'11 now?

You mad bro?

Wow. Just wow. I honestly laughed when I first saw this, thinking someone was making up some sick joke. I thought to myself,"haha wow that would really suck IF it happened" only to find out it is true by clicking on the thread.

Sad stuff. Well more confusing, it's hard sometimes not having any idea what goes on within those walls in gillette.

All in all though, does the last 24 hours really surprise anyone after being a Belli fan for multiple years?

Well, that sucks. According to Ian Rapaport, it is a tendon tear with no surgery needed, but 4 plus weeks to heal. Rapaport did point out the Pats only dressed 4 CBs for Super Bowl 39 - Randall Gay, Asante Samuel, Hank Poteat, and Earthwind Mooreland. Other than Samuel none of those guys were especially good. Gay was decent and the other guys were scrubs who stepped up for the Pats for short periods of time.

I scratched my head about Bodden yesterday thinking Dowling could be close, but I guess I was wrong. Too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back