PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brock Vereen retires [Update: waived; claimed by Chiefs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free trip to KC during tornado season....why not?

Since they have to cut to 80 soon, my guess is they'll just leave it open.

Vereen has a shot to start or be the top backup in Kansas City with Berry holding out and there was a less than zero chance he even made the team here since the Patriots have two of the best starting safeties in the game in Chung and McCourty, a rock solid backup in Harmon, and a promising second-year player in Richards all in front of him... to say nothing of three special teams mavens in Ebner, King, and Slater who are almost certainly going to make it and have all played safety at one time or another. Top to bottom, it's the strongest position on the team.

Can't really blame him for faking retirement.
if you don't think you're going to make the roster, go talk to the coach and asked to be released, or just wait for the cut date and try to latch on with another team. faking retirement (if that's what really happened) to get off of a team seems a bit cowardly and says something about his character--i.e., "don't count on me to persevere through a tough situation".

but the story still doesn't seem quite right, and maybe something else was going on.

for what it's worth, he still hasn't been assigned a number on the chiefs' official website:

Roster | Chiefs.com

Wl36eor.jpg

i wonder if he's even reported to the chiefs yet. maybe he really did want to retire, but there's some financial advantage to the patriots for waiving him instead of having him retire, so they asked him to un-retire...?

for what it's worth, he still hasn't been assigned a number on the chiefs' official website:

Roster | Chiefs.com

Wl36eor.jpg

i wonder if he's even reported to the chiefs yet. maybe he really did want to retire, but there's some financial advantage to the patriots for waiving him instead of having him retire, so they asked him to un-retire...?

If their "official" roster is anything like ours, it's not official at all and is updated as the Web team find things out from the media just like Wikipedia, but worse.

Didn't know where to put this so...

Picked up Dax on my twitter feed last year when we seemed really shallow at CB. Seems like a nice guy and you've got to root for persistence. Punt return.

Before he lost the will to live through working for an immoral organization, this is just the kind of story Mike Reiss would have been all over. :(

Before he lost the will to live through working for an immoral organization, this is just the kind of story Mike Reiss would have been all over. :(
don't lose faith--it just took reiss a couple of weeks to follow up:

ESPN: Deciding factor why Patriots made Cyrus Jones top pick comes to light

7. While second-year safety Brock Vereen was a long shot to make the Patriots’ roster, the way his time with the club ended Aug. 15 was a notable storyline. On the surface, it appeared that Vereen decided to retire, only to be waived the next day and then claimed by the Chiefs the day after that. But as I understand it, that’s not exactly the way it unfolded. Vereen never intended to retire and did not sign any official retirement paperwork, but he was initially placed on the reserve/retired list after having a conversation with a club official about his role and/or future with the team. The next day, the club removed the reserve/retired designation and waived Vereen outright, with the sides basically agreeing to mutually part ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes