PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

briz's updated mock 3-5-08

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the "IF" Ryan falls to us at 7 proposal is completely gone, now that the Falcons have all but guaranteed that Ryan is their guy after cutting ties with Harrington. We know it's not going to be Chris Redman. The trade down with Carolina, looks much more likely if they covet Clady that much. DMac won't be there, but I can see someone drooling over a Dorsey who might be there, Detroit comes to mind picking at #15 after losing Rogers.
I say Parcells has to draft Ryan. Who else does he have .....McCown? He got dumped by the Raiders for crying out loud. No way Tuna walks on Ryan unless he can trade down for a plethora of picks. The Phins fans will be storming the castle with torches and pitch forks if they screw this up. Last time I knew, C. Long was not a QB. They have many more issues than a DE/OLB kid.
DW Toys

we dont need a prototypical run stuffer imo, we just need a darn good linebacker at this point. Zach Thomas is not a prototypical run stuffer either but the pats were trying to get him. There is no Rey Maualuga in this draft, Goff has good size but hes just not starter material. Mayo has great size hes 6'2" and over 240 lbs, he could play inside in the 3-4 even though he is better suited to the 4-3, he is a very good athlete with top notch intangibles. His football IQ is very high, football is important to him, hes got leadership qualities, fast and good in coverage, everything you look for in a starting linebacker. He had 80+ tackles his sophmore year while missing a few games, and 140 tackles his junior year in the SEC! Anyone that has 140 tackles in their junior year is something you got to notice. This kid is a beast if he stayed in school for his senior year he would probably be a mid-1st round pick in 2009 for sure. Im telling ya i got a feeling about this guy he is special and will be a stud, we could certainly use him.

It wasn't simply about his not being a prototypical run stuffer (which the Patriots actually do need at ILB), but about all of his weaknesses, which aren't weaknesses you want at 3-4 ILB, especially in NE's version of the defense.

Some of Mayo's weaknesses are among Goff's strengths. For instance, Jon has great instincts and awareness (Mayo can get caught out of position, and will bite on play fakes), plays well in zone coverage, very good at taking on and shedding blocks (one of Mayo's weaknesses), team leader, hard worker, very intelligent, a lot of experience against top comp, and has a high football IQ. He's also been durable, and Mayo does have some injury concerns.

Basically, all of Goff's strengths are among the main things 3-4 teams look for at ILB. And, His intellect, high football IQ, leadership (two time team captain), and experience (47 games played with 40 straight starts in the SEC) should be especially attractive to a team like NE.

I'd rather find someone who's better suited at 3-4 ILB, and that's the system most experts think Goff would find the most success in. I haven't seen a lot of scouts or draft "experts" who believe Mayo would be most successful in a 3-4 alignment. I know that you'd like to fit him into that role, but it simply isn't his best fit, and he should play within a defensive scheme that will provide him with some protection.

He's not 6'2", but 6'1", and Goff's actually slightly over 6'2", so there is a size difference. Jon also has a big frame for that height, and could easily carry some additional weight.

In 2007 Mayo played in 14 games, and posted: 140 total tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, 2 PBU's, and 1 INT.

In 2007 Goff played in Vandy's 12 games, and posted: 113 total tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 6 PBU's, and 2 INT's.

Goff averaged 9.41 total tackles per game, and Mayo averaged 10 total tackles per game. Goff put up a better sack total, more PBU's, and more INT's in two less games.

You've brought up Mayo's athletic ability a few times, but you still seem to miss the fact that Goff has very good athleticism for a LB. Again, his triangle numbers were very good, and he actually posted some of the best overall numbers by an ILB in atleast (I only looked that far back) the past 8 years of the Combine.

When did you develop this "feeling"? When Kiper moved him up his "big board"? I don't remember you talking about him in such high light before now...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back