PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

briz's new 5 round pats mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamme is strictly pass-catcher. He's actually more H-back than true tight end.

And Jamie Silva would make this team measurably worse. He's not fast, not quick, not agile, and doesn't appear to be that disciplined either. Really, is there any DB on this team he'd be an improvement on? Including Ventrone? He'll probably have a Ventrone/Shawn Mayer career. Special Teams player. (Not that that's a bad thing. If the Patriots won the SB, Ventone's awesome tackle on the last kickoff return would have been an important play.)

Cousin,
I appreciate your input and are well versed in your discussions. I respect your opinion but I think that Tamme was more than a catching TE at UK as they had a substantial run game. He is bigger than Thomas and we all hope, more physically tolerant of the game. Is anybody that reads this satisfied with Ben Watson? With Moss and Welker he should have had 60 catches as at least an outlet. Then he has his usual mid-season vacation for a few games. He is just not tough, nor does he posses hands. How many of you gasp when TB throws his way? His 4.45 speed does not translate on the field other than the Bailey play. His blocking has gotten better this year until the SB. He was awful in that game!
I think Tamme would bulk some for the NFL. It's my opinion, but see how big Witten was when he was drafted by the Cowboys. Pretty good TE these days. Would you swap Witten for Watson?
Nobody has addressed this, but S is as much of (almost) a need as CB. Why has nobody called that out? We have one youngster who could be decent but is developing slower than we had all hoped in "Metal Mitts Merriweather". We have a possible future HOF S in Harrison and then who? Nobody! "Smoking Willie"? But Harrison needs to be rotated next year to keep him fresh and maybe off the field in deep pass situations. He has digressed in coverage.
Sanders? Young man please....! Sanders misses the whole point of this game. You need to tackle and cover as a safety.
Now about Silva. He's bigger than Sanders. He's faster than Sanders (4.6 vs 4.67) he had 6 interceptions this year even after missing a game or two. He hits and covers better right now than Sanders and he can return punts (not bad either mind you for a "slow guy"). Yes I agree he is all over the field, If you saw the EW Shrine game, he was one of the better players on the field with many tackles. You could be right in comparisons but as a fifth or sixth rounder, this kid makes the squad I think. Plus he is tough unlike our present #36.

We need a S! O.K. How about Hamlin the FA. I think 5 INT's and not bad in coverage or tackling. He is like 28 as well. Now I have been blasted for saying Ed Reed but he is gonna be thirty (young for BB) and they have two other safeties (one was on IR) who aren't bad. Ogden is gone so they need a OT big time. Kaczur is young and the Ravens then get two choices in the top ten to build around and we drop down to round two for better value.

This is all fun to speculate and as said, I respect your ideas.
DW Toys

Count me among those who would not want to START two rookie corners. That's a recipe for disaster.

I also prefer Talib to R-C or Cason, where do you see him going?

Briz, this is great stuff, nice job...............

I like your thought process, thinking now and long-term, good job.

You know what, if we could drop DRC and Cason on the corners from day one and have them in camp from day one (signed upfront) with 4 full preseason games under their belt, I have no issues with that. Keep in mind, we would still have Rodney back there to work with these two kids. I have no issues with this at all. You have to look at it like what the Jets did where they dropped Revis in right at the start of the season, (after holding out basically the entire pre-season) and he more than held his own. I rate DRC and Cason in his same class. So I have no issues with this at all. By mid-season, these two will be "island-studs" able to man up on any and all (AT ROOKIE CONTRACT CAP DOLLARS MIND YOU).

I love it

Now getting back to DRC, the proof for me was what my eyes showed me at the Senior bowl. His vertical rivals that of his great cousin Antonio. His closing speed on sideline-outs is flat out scary and his straight-line speed as it stands by itself would make the FSU Primetime proud. This kid has incredible upside. He's climbing draft boards right now like no one's business and by the time Jolly Roger approaches the podium in April, he will be in the top 3 corner basket projected to go anywhere from (14-32). Which is where I love Briz's trade prediction with the Bears. The key for this happening is all tied to a coin flip.

Should the Falcons win this flip and gain the 3rd pick, we're in business. The Falcons will take McFadden at 3 and hopefully will allow Matt Ryan to slide to us at 7 (key team to pass being KC). Should he get by KC and I think he would because the Chiefs have a good chance of staring Jake Long in the face at 5, then get Lovie on the phone quickly, we have a deal for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who the hell is briz?

Cousin,
I appreciate your input and are well versed in your discussions. I respect your opinion but I think that Tamme was more than a catching TE at UK as they had a substantial run game. He is bigger than Thomas and we all hope, more physically tolerant of the game. Is anybody that reads this satisfied with Ben Watson? With Moss and Welker he should have had 60 catches as at least an outlet. Then he has his usual mid-season vacation for a few games. He is just not tough, nor does he posses hands. How many of you gasp when TB throws his way? His 4.45 speed does not translate on the field other than the Bailey play. His blocking has gotten better this year until the SB. He was awful in that game!
I think Tamme would bulk some for the NFL. It's my opinion, but see how big Witten was when he was drafted by the Cowboys. Pretty good TE these days. Would you swap Witten for Watson?
Nobody has addressed this, but S is as much of (almost) a need as CB. Why has nobody called that out? We have one youngster who could be decent but is developing slower than we had all hoped in "Metal Mitts Merriweather". We have a possible future HOF S in Harrison and then who? Nobody! "Smoking Willie"? But Harrison needs to be rotated next year to keep him fresh and maybe off the field in deep pass situations. He has digressed in coverage.
Sanders? Young man please....! Sanders misses the whole point of this game. You need to tackle and cover as a safety.
Now about Silva. He's bigger than Sanders. He's faster than Sanders (4.6 vs 4.67) he had 6 interceptions this year even after missing a game or two. He hits and covers better right now than Sanders and he can return punts (not bad either mind you for a "slow guy"). Yes I agree he is all over the field, If you saw the EW Shrine game, he was one of the better players on the field with many tackles. You could be right in comparisons but as a fifth or sixth rounder, this kid makes the squad I think. Plus he is tough unlike our present #36.

We need a S! O.K. How about Hamlin the FA. I think 5 INT's and not bad in coverage or tackling. He is like 28 as well. Now I have been blasted for saying Ed Reed but he is gonna be thirty (young for BB) and they have two other safeties (one was on IR) who aren't bad. Ogden is gone so they need a OT big time. Kaczur is young and the Ravens then get two choices in the top ten to build around and we drop down to round two for better value.

DW Toys

Who the hell is "cousin"? Are you related to everyone?

leave it to Krafty to bash my mock, too funny. No you're right i like your ideas better, especially the one taking Balmer at #7 thats brilliant. He is the next Seymour afterall according to you, loool.

Nice try. Have you been out of the basement at all today? At least I've been saying the Pats need powerful rushers not skinny defensive backs. Did you notice I said Gholston and Balmer are possible first round picks? I tabbed Gholston long before the bandwagon started and mark my words...Balmer will be moving up too. Did you even watch the Super Bowl? You want ANOTHER old linebacker or worse, a 4-3 DE? Do you know where Seau was on the 4th and 1 run by Jacobs to keep the Gnats winning drive going? He was pushed off the line about 7 yards. We don't need more age in that group. Gooden has big questions about durability and he's more of a Dungy type linebacker. Small. Godfrey's a better player than Adams plus he can play corner and safety and won't cost a top ten pick. Feel free to steal his name for your future mock.

Nice try. Have you been out of the basement at all today? At least I've been saying the Pats need powerful rushers not skinny defensive backs. Did you notice I said Gholston and Balmer are possible first round picks? I tabbed Gholston long before the bandwagon started and mark my words...Balmer will be moving up too. Did you even watch the Super Bowl? You want ANOTHER old linebacker or worse, a 4-3 DE? Do you know where Seau was on the 4th and 1 run by Jacobs to keep the Gnats winning drive going? He was pushed off the line about 7 yards. We don't need more age in that group. Gooden has big questions about durability and he's more of a Dungy type linebacker. Small. Godfrey's a better player than Adams plus he can play corner and safety and won't cost a top ten pick. Feel free to steal his name for your future mock.

dude you are on some serious meds. The pats already have big powerful front 7, maybe one of the biggest most physical in the league. They dont need more physicality they need to get more speed and athletic especially at the inside. Ill take Jason Taylor over Gholston ten times out of ten, Gholston cant even touch him no matter how old JT is. And Balmer loool hilarious. Gooden doesnt have big questions on durability, this is coming from someone who doesnt know the difference between a hip injury like Colvins and a hip flexor.

Last edited:
dude you are on some serious meds. The pats already have big powerful front 7, maybe one of the biggest most physical in the league. They dont need more physicality they need to get more speed and athletic especially at the inside. Ill take Jason Taylor over Gholston ten times out of ten, Gholston cant even touch him no matter how old JT is. And Balmer loool hilarious. Gooden doesnt have big questions on durability, this is coming from someone who doesnt know the difference between a hip injury like Colvins and a hip flexor.

Try not to trip over your clown shoes if you ever go outside for some sunshine. You think Gooden's only problem has been a hip flexor? Try doing some reading before you claim a player doesn't have durability questions. He missed 3 games in 2004 with shoulder problems, almost the whole 2005 season with shoulder problems and two games in 2006 with a concussion. Try asking the Jets how Vilma and Mangini have gotten along. Small 3-4 LB's like him and Gooden aren't a good match even if they are from the "U"(not what it once was), if you didn't know it.

By the way, the Pats have a big powerful front three and one big powerful LB in Adalius Thomas but they don't have a big powerful front seven, as you say incorrectly as usual. The other three are older weaker players and Colvin has been unable to stay on the field again. Maybe you might have noticed how a big powerful pass rush makes D-backs better, IF YOU WATCHED THE SUPER BOWL. Balmer and Gholston are both powerful and can rush the Qb but Jason Taylor is just another older weaker player. Maybe you should have watched Balmer at Senior Bowl practice, but then again, you wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

By the way, the Pats have a big powerful front three and one big powerful LB in Adalius Thomas but they don't have a big powerful front seven, as you say incorrectly as usual. The other three are older weaker players and Colvin has been unable to stay on the field again. Maybe you might have noticed how a big powerful pass rush makes D-backs better, IF YOU WATCHED THE SUPER BOWL. Balmer and Gholston are both powerful and can rush the Qb but Jason Taylor is just another older weaker player. Maybe you should have watched Balmer at Senior Bowl practice, but then again, you wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

Can we keep this discussion civil?

Why do you and Briz always seem to think eachother is wrong anyways?

PS: I'm not really sure about Gooden at 3-4 ILB myself, but I wouldn't really compare him to Vilma. He has a bigger frame, already weighs more coming out of college, and I think he has a little more playing strength. I'm just saying they're not really same player.

Last edited:
Briz and his love affair with the name Cromartie continues...

Sorry, Briz, but Colvin's not getting cut. He'll restructure his contract.

Why would the Pats cut Washington? He was arguably their best gunner and now, with the likelihood that Andrews is cut because of the drug charges (unless he's found innocent), the Pats would be starting over with 2 brand new gunners. I don't see it happening.

Also, I think you are out of your gourd if you think that Parcells is going to trade Taylor to the Pats for a 3rd round pick.

As for Gooden, What makes you think he'll be able to come in and be able to play in the 3-4? Also, he has major durability issues.

Why would the Pats waste a pick on another WR? OH WAIT. I see. You've got him pegged as the next Devin Hester, don't you. Well, the Pats could use someone OTHER than Hobbs or Maroney returning kicks. So he might not be a bad choice for a 5th receiver.

Also Gooden is not coming off a hip injury, he has a "hip flexor" which is a pulled muscle in your leg, its as serious as pulling your calve muscle. The hip flexor muscle is called that because its the small muscle on the top of your leg that pulls your leg "up", doesnt really have anything to do with the hip. Kickers get hip flexors all the time, and they heal fast, there is nothing wrong with Gooden.

Briz -
You might want to do more research.

Gooden missed all of 2005 with a dislocated shoulder. He missed games in 2004 with shoulder issues. He missed games in 2006 because of a concussion.

The guy is injury prone.

Is anyone else even a LITTLE nervous that the JESTS may have the same Trade thoughts that we are?? They are right in front of us and run the same defense. I understand that they also have MANY more pressing needs than we do, but i'm sure they would love to trade back and pick up picks. They could cause us all kinds of trading partner problems.

Is anyone else even a LITTLE nervous that the JESTS may have the same Trade thoughts that we are?? They are right in front of us and run the same defense. I understand that they also have MANY more pressing needs than we do, but i'm sure they would love to trade back and pick up picks. They could cause us all kinds of trading partner problems.

Or, just as easily, create an opportunity (e.g., they might trade with someone who wants Ellis, allowing Ryan to fall, etc.).

The only way the JEST really factor in is if the Pats try to trade up.

Cousin,

DW Toys

DW - James Sanders is a damn good young player. As is Meriweather. Sorry that I don't buy into the idea that the Pats NEED another safety with Harrison still under contract. They could add one, but its not a need.

As for this stupid idea of yours of trading Kaczur to the Ravens, I think you have Kaczur confused with someone else. Kaczur is hardly young. He turns 29 this summer.

Now, about Silva in comparison to Sanders. Silva is about half an inch taller (5'10 6/8" to 5'11 2/8). Sanders is around 220. Silva is about 205. Sanders ran a 4.62- 40 with a 4.12 20 yard shuttle and a 7.12 3-cone. Silva runs in the 4.54-4.68 range. It remains to be seen what his shuttle and 3-cone times are. So, I'd say you are talking out your rear end quite a bit.

As for Tamme, the Patriots have 4 TEs under contract for next year. Spach, Brady, Watson, Thomas. Tamme is 6'3 6/8 and 234 lbs. That is LIGHT for a Patriots TE. He's also a poor route runner and not a great blocker. While you mention UK's running game, you fail to mention that Tamme was lined up more as a wide-out than as a tradition TE. To top it off, Tamme has shoulder issues.

Sorry Briz. But you are WRONG. Gooden DOES have durability questions. He's been injured every year of his college career.

I have to disagree with you that the Patriots front 7 is big and powerful. They aren't. Their front 3 is. But Vrabel wasn't nearly as good once Colvin went down and Thomas was on the outside. Not sure why that is, but he wasn't. Thomas was great for the Pats at ILB. But the best days fro Bruschi and Seau are behind them.

The Pats need a legitimate ILB and they need someone else who can provide a pass rush off the edge.

While I disagree with Krafty about JT, I disagree with you as well regarding Ghoulston as Ghoulston could definitely provide more Pass Rushing off the Edge over a longer period than JT has left in him. JT is definitely better short-term, but you need to look long term as well.

The Pats need LBS with some speed and coverage capabilities as well as someone who can handle the run and not get blown off the line.

I think alot of Pats fans would like to see this,, need a willing trade partner tho.

Of the names listed, the ones bolded, Davis and Lofton spring to mind cuz in the games I watched those two had dominate games.

((Being a West coast guy, don't see too many east coast games.))

I love the idea of trading down and getting an extra two. I think it's also very realistic we go cb 1 and 2.

OLB
B.Davis - UCLA
E.Henderson - Maryland
S.Crable - Michigan
D.Robertson - GA Tech

ILB
C.Lofton - Oklahoma
P. Wheeler - Ga Tech
T. Gooden - Miami
J. Goff - Vandy

QUOTE]

Try not to trip over your clown shoes if you ever go outside for some sunshine. You think Gooden's only problem has been a hip flexor? Try doing some reading before you claim a player doesn't have durability questions. He missed 3 games in 2004 with shoulder problems, almost the whole 2005 season with shoulder problems and two games in 2006 with a concussion. Try asking the Jets how Vilma and Mangini have gotten along. Small 3-4 LB's like him and Gooden aren't a good match even if they are from the "U"(not what it once was), if you didn't know it.

Dude i know about Goodens shoulder injury, so what? One injury isnt enough to label someone with durability issues, and a hip flexor is a PULLED MUSCLE. Pulling a muscle is part of every players natural bumps and bruises they get playing the game, has nothing to do with durability.

And like Sebastian said Gooden is nothing like Vilma, hes much bigger and already plays inside, hes got experience at all linebacker positions.

Last edited:

Jason Taylor is not just another older weaker player he is a dominant defensive force when he wants to be. Playing on the Pats with a chance for a ring he would explode like Moss.

We dont need Balmer he wouldnt even see the field over Jarvis Green. We need to get faster and more athletic, thats what Gooden is. Gholston would be a good pick but like i said i would rather have Jason Taylor who is better for a 3rd rounder instead of the #7 pick in the draft.

Briz and his love affair with the name Cromartie continues...

Yea we should have drafted Antonio like i said.

Sorry, Briz, but Colvin's not getting cut. He'll restructure his contract.

Probably, but i would cut him and get Taylor.

Why would the Pats cut Washington? He was arguably their best gunner and now, with the likelihood that Andrews is cut because of the drug charges (unless he's found innocent), the Pats would be starting over with 2 brand new gunners. I don't see it happening.

Cause Washinton costs 4-5 mill and that is too much for a special teams player and 4th-5th WR. Hes not going to see anytime on offense with Moss/Welker/Jackson.

Also, I think you are out of your gourd if you think that Parcells is going to trade Taylor to the Pats for a 3rd round pick.

There time on trading Taylor is running out. What do you think they are gunna get for him a 1st or 2nd at his age? Yea they may keep him and he retires a fish but that would suck for Taylor, he deserves a shot at a ring, he aint getting that in Miami.

As for Gooden, What makes you think he'll be able to come in and be able to play in the 3-4? Also, he has major durability issues.

I think he can play on the weakside inside in the 3-4, hes just barely big enough, he is no Vilma. Hes an ILB hes also played OLB, hes played all linebacker positions. I view him morely as a special teams ace and depth inside. He could start but i eventually want Briggs inside with Maualuga or Brinkley coming in 2009.

Why would the Pats waste a pick on another WR? OH WAIT. I see. You've got him pegged as the next Devin Hester, don't you. Well, the Pats could use someone OTHER than Hobbs or Maroney returning kicks. So he might not be a bad choice for a 5th receiver.

Cause Stallworth and Washington are getting cut and we will need another WR, and another punt/kick retuerner helps. No i have Jackson pegged as the next Wes Welker, where did i say Hester?

Last edited:
Cause Washinton costs 4-5 mill and that is too much for a special teams player and 4th-5th WR. Hes not going to see anytime on offense with Moss/Welker/Jackson.

Again, don't conflate salary cap with actual money paid. The actual salary cap hit for Washington is under $2M. I'm not arguing that he is (or isn't) worth the $, just that you have to consider all the variables.

Also, don't forget that the Pats might renegotiate with him to get a (slightly) more attractive deal in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes