Welcome to PatsFans.com

Britney's obit is already written

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jan 24, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

an interesting topic for debate... though i don't blame AP... it doesn't get paid by advertisers...

Debate rages over prewritten obituaries for young, living stars

John Rogers, Associated Press
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008
    (01-22) 04:00 PST Los Angeles --

It's never been a secret that when people die after long and distinguished careers, the detailed obituaries that major news organizations seem to produce almost instantaneously were in fact written well in advance.

But now the news that the Associated Press has prepared an obituary for 26-year-old Britney Spears has put the spotlight on a debate within the business of reporting death: With people grabbing the celebrity spotlight at a younger age, and some of them living lives of obviously dangerous excess, is it time for news organizations to begin preparing for early exits from celebritydom's under-30 crowd?

"It's a complex issue, a complex debate," says Washington Post reporter Adam Bernstein, a respected obituary writer. "It's unclear to what degree somebody really is on the edge. So do you spend the time to put something together when you're wondering whether it will run now or 70 years from now?"

Of the approximately 100 prepared obituaries the Washington Post has in its files, Bernstein could not recall any on a person under 30. He also questioned whether an obituary on someone like the troubled pop star could be much more than a recitation of bizarre public behavior, as opposed to focusing on real accomplishment. ... Such interest, longtime Hollywood publicist Michael Levine believes, is being driven by the Internet. He speculated that the Web's ability to make stars of people overnight is forcing news organizations to be more prepared to tell those celebrities' stories within minutes of their demise.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

That's a sad commentary on the tabloid celebrity-obsessed culture that we live in. This may be the only issue I've ever agreed with Bill O'reilly on. Making a spectacle out of these people and exploiting them because to Americans they aren't human, they're a character the paparazzi has created, is really disgusting.

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i'll agree on the principle... however, a detailed, fact-based obituarty honors the passing of anyone, it doesn't exploit them... whether he or she was a celeb, a diplomat, an esteemed scientist, or local yocal... everyone famous gets a free obit sent to all the news outlets with an AP contract... however, it's only the local yocal's families who have to PAY for a local obit... there's where you can rip your local newspaper, no doubt... average joe's obit is not free anymore...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Pay no attention to the economy and the war!

look at Britney!......she so crazy!

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

I'm surprised Obooma & Pant Suit haven't had a debate over Britney they won't talk about Illegal Aliens, Security, The War or Gas Prices, they did have a debate over homosexualty though, maybe they're saving Britney for Labor Day.

The presidential candidates are the most disgusting group I have witnessed run for any office in my lifetime, both (R & D).

We are at war, we have a whole Army of savage religious fanatics that are waiting to enter our country and kill our children and half of the working mans pay check goes for gas so he can get to work and these f-cking scummy politicians debate about sex and fight with each other over who said what.

STAY HOME DON'T VOTE IMPEACH THE WINNER.

YOU POLITICIANS ALL EAT SH!T.

:bricks:

6. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

quick question about "pant suit" what do you want her to wear?

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

A Mini Skirt And An Afgan Sweater With Basketball Sneakers.

:bricks:

8. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

WHAT????

No phuq me pumps?

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, no... that's saved for Amy Winehouse