Welcome to PatsFans.com

British doctors help perform world's first transplant of a whole organ grown in lab

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

This is truly amazing stuff.

British doctors help perform world's first transplant of a whole organ grown in lab

British doctors have helped to perform the world's first transplant of a whole organ grown from stem cells, signalling a significant medical breakthrough.

By Kate Devlin, Medical Correspondent
    Last Updated: 4:15PM GMT 19 Nov 2008

Surgeons replaced the damaged windpipe of Claudia Castillo, a 30-year-old mother of two, with one created from stem cells grown in a laboratory at Bristol University.

Because the new windpipe was made from cells taken from Ms Castillo's own body, using a process called "tissue engineering", she has not needed powerful drugs to prevent her body rejecting the organ.

Avoiding the use of these drugs means she will not be at an increased risk of cancer and other diseases unlike other transplant patients - another significant advance.

Five months after the operation was carried out she is now living normally and is able to look after her children again.

British doctors help perform world's first transplant of a whole organ grown in lab - Telegraph

2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Re: British doctors help perform world's first transplant of a whole organ grown in l

Godless...

3. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Re: British doctors help perform world's first transplant of a whole organ grown in l

That's wonderful:rocker:

Our pharmaceutical companies here wouldn't like that too much, no doubt. God forbid we eliminate the need for ever increasing,infinitely fundable pharmaceutical research,high-cost high risk drugs and long term intensive medical care with months spent in a hospital and/or dialysis unit. Not to mention organ black marketeering.

What a tremendous breakthrough for medical science and research!

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Is that good or bad for their economy RW?? :confused2:

I'm just kidding of course!

Seriously, that is frikkn' amazing. How can we NOT want to use that kind of technology? We'll have Americans flocking to England to have these operations if we don't allow stem cell technologies to flourish. I think eventually, public pressure will force our laws to change.

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Agenda Boy :)p I'm teasing), they used the woman's own stem cells (adult stem cells, and not embryonic), or master cells from her hip and nose.

6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Hey Real World, how'd you miss the opportunity for an organ growing joke handed out on such a sliver platter?

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

I was thinking about it SB!

8. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Ha! Uh-oh RW, you're starting to develop a reputation.

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

clearly, my Godless quip was a joke...

10. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 33 / -54

No Jersey Selected

Can someone remind me why this is not legal again?

11. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

It is legal. These are adult stem cells, not embryonic, which America currently refuses to fund under Bush because of fanatical right wing dum dums. They "think" that if they can do certain things with adult stem cells, they don't need embryonic stem cells and the scientists that are using them are just doing it for fun because they are evil. This is what happens when you have a large population that respects a book of fairy tales more than scientific advancement.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  12. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I saw and appreciated the sarcasm PC.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Starting to? You mean I didn't already have one? :eek:

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

There are ethical, and moral questions that surround the use of embryonic stem cells, whether you believe in a "book of fairy tails", or not. I'm mixed on their use, but I do understand some of the concerns some people have.

15. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

I don't see the rational ethical dilemma in using discarded embryos for scientific research. The scientific community in the U.S. and most of the Western world already has a stringent set of ethical guidelines for scientific research. Injecting uneducated, knee-jerk religious fanaticism into it and stifling research has no ethical merit.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

In all honesty, it's late, and my poker high is crashing down, so I don't have the energy to get into this right now (wednesday is poker night). I will discuss this tomorrow though. I'm mixed on this issue. I do think that there are ethical questions, and we've discussed them a lot in this forum over the last couple of years. I've got a brother with MS, so I'm very interested in stem cell research. I'm also not a bible bopper, although I am a catholic. I gotta go to bed now though.

17. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It is legal, though the procedure would have to be approved for use in the US, but that wouldn't have anything to do with stem cells.

Currently the only thing that is outlawed here is human cloning and the use of government funds to create new stem cell lines. There are no limits on research conducted with private funds or public research on existing lines or lines not created from human embryos. This is a point many people misunderstand.

One other note, they didn't really grow a whole windpipe, they actually just scraped the cells of an organ donor's windpipe and grew a new layer of cells over the existing framework. Still pretty cool though, especially if you could start doing that with frameworks that weren't from organ donor, rather plastics or titanium.